Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
I only know what the dealer communicated to Mitsu, and I do know that Mitsu had an engineer on the phone with them going over it...not a customer service rep. I bet they are waiting to see if it is an isolated case. I would expect a revision on future models. I think Mitsu is pretty good about stuff like this, especially on their flagship car.
You made it on autoblog man. That'll be getting a number of people's attention.
Old May 6, 2008, 08:57 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
It is no suprise to me to see other people's pedals breaking. I have a pretty good engineering mind, and I had my engineer put the pedal into his Inventor Pro program and do a stress analysis on it. It can't take much force with the leverage you put on the break point, and over a short period of time is weakens easily.

A little update. You know that nice little $400 interior package that comes with the really cool shift knob and e-brake handle? Well last week my shift knob busted off. The outside is metal, but the threaded part is a plastic insert and the actual insert snapped in half.

I know you guys must be thinking I'm a brute by now but I was just shifting normally. I had to replace it with a metal one from my Honda...which has a metal thread. Hopefully they resolve the silly poor engineering crap....because the rest of the car is fab. There isn't another car in the world I would trade for right now....at any price.
Dang gorilla!

If it doesn't go fast enough, floor it until the pedal breaks off! If it doesn't shift fast enough, tear the shift knob off.

I predict he rips the steering wheel off next due to slower turning than he would like.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:00 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
That's nuts... I can't believe how many interior problems these X's have... Recaro's tearing, shift knobs coming off, gas pedals breaking... what else?
Old May 6, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
That's nuts... I can't believe how many interior problems these X's have... Recaro's tearing, shift knobs coming off, gas pedals breaking... what else?
The overall interior quality is better than the old car....aside from the stupid **** The car is quiet, smooth, and I don't have a single rattle.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:06 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
I've had not one of those issues. I bought my X early and it has nearly 6000 miles on it.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Dang gorilla!

If it doesn't go fast enough, floor it until the pedal breaks off! If it doesn't shift fast enough, tear the shift knob off.

I predict he rips the steering wheel off next due to slower turning than he would like.
Yeah no sh*t! Give it time...there will be more. Cars with plastic shifters always have this problem. The SRT guys rip theirs off all the time.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I've had not one of those issues. I bought my X early and it has nearly 6000 miles on it.
That doesn't really say anything though. How do you drive the car. I drive slow and normal on the street...when I drive it, but I am auto x'ing every weekend. I make one shift to 2nd gear and that is it, and I shift slow. I'm not out there trying to break records. I'm using the car for what it was made to do, and having some minor issues with plastic parts on a car that should be able to be driven with a little authority.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by EzeE1o
Someone posted this comment on there
He could just replace it with a Logitech pedal and it would be an improvement.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BEbengali
He could just replace it with a Logitech pedal and it would be an improvement.
Hey man, that Logitech 3-pedal setup wheel is no MFing joke. ...and people say video games arent true to life... at least the wheels are

Last edited by CC16; May 6, 2008 at 09:30 AM.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am sure that the same thing will happen to others, hell if it isn't fixed by time I pick up my X then I will probably do both on the same day!
Old May 6, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just two examples of breaking gas pedals so far.
That's not too bad. It is not a problem of design nor cheap materials.
Like Rumsfeld said, stuff happens. Unless there were 1/3 of the pedals falling off,
we could not possibly say it is a design problem, yet.

Last edited by nongan; May 6, 2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nongan
Just two examples of breaking gas pedals so far.
That's not too bad. It is not a problem of design or cheap materials.
Like Rumsfeld said, stuff happens. Unless there are 1/3 of the pedals falling off,
we can not say it is a design problem, yet.
or "you build the car with the materials you have, not the materials you want". haha.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah no sh*t! Give it time...there will be more. Cars with plastic shifters always have this problem. The SRT guys rip theirs off all the time.
my srt shifter knob took a good spirited yank to get it off. i wonder how many of those srt dudes missed a shift and blamed it on the shifter knob coming off.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Well since it is on autoblog, lets hope Mitsubishi will pay attention to this problem
Old May 6, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nongan
It is not a problem of design nor cheap materials.
If you can look at that piece and say that there are not any flaws from an engineering viewpoint, then you obviously are not an engineer, or you have the same thought process as the guy who initially designed it. It is physics, and not all that hard to understand.

Right where the peak stress is on that lever is where the bracing thins. The low stress areas of the pedal have tons of support.

At this point I would say that 90% of X owners are not doing anything more than driving their cars to work and shining the wheels and sh*t. Wait until people start using the car for what it was made for.

I can't believe this is still alive. I regret posting it, but I wanted my dealer to take me seriously.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)