Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAG
Because I walked all over a pretty nice 530whp C6Z all day at an auto x last weekend in my stock X and then when I got home my neighbor, his wife, and 2 kids all piled in and we went out for a steak

If I had a C6 I would kick myself every time I saw a Z06 drive by. That is the next car on my list, but I'm gonna have to keep the X. It is too good at just about everything.

I did ride in that Z and it was one of the most composed cars I have ever been in. I want one for sure.
It is no suprise to me to see other people's pedals breaking. I have a pretty good engineering mind, and I had my engineer put the pedal into his Inventor Pro program and do a stress analysis on it. It can't take much force with the leverage you put on the break point, and over a short period of time is weakens easily.

A little update. You know that nice little $400 interior package that comes with the really cool shift knob and e-brake handle? Well last week my shift knob busted off. The outside is metal, but the threaded part is a plastic insert and the actual insert snapped in half.

I know you guys must be thinking I'm a brute by now but I was just shifting normally. I had to replace it with a metal one from my Honda...which has a metal thread. Hopefully they resolve the silly poor engineering crap....because the rest of the car is fab. There isn't another car in the world I would trade for right now....at any price.
My brother read this and had this to say...

Originally Posted by Chris
'hey guys, you probably think i'm some kind of animal now, but i swear i'm not. in addition to the shifter knob breaking the other day, i was turning into mcdonalds and my ****ing wheels fell off. it seems the axels were made of plastic and duct tape. I'm getting it towed to my dealer now, who is aware of the problem, and they're going to tape it right back up under warrenty. Even though this has happened, I still won't trade this car in, because I love how the tailpipe feels around my peepee when i stick it in every night.'

Hopefully he's not clairvoyant. We jest... Hopefully it will be taken care of.

Edit: Yes.. .he's a vette owner
Old May 6, 2008, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoXstylin
Wow it broke off? how the hell does that happen?? i hope this is a one time thing cus thats really bad. sorry to hear that happened though.
Because its a domestic.^^^but glad your safe..
Old May 6, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

ha ha
Old May 6, 2008, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lords3t
[FONT=Arial]

Edit: Yes.. .he's a vette owner

I really dont think anyone driving a car made of fiberglass body panels and balsawood flooring should be making fun of anything.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys. This is a safety feature, much like the lizard tail dislodging when trapped, the new Mitsubishi patented GPOCS system ( Gas Pedal of Complete Safety ) system actives when the car goes into protection mode. The criteria for protection mode are as follows:

* In situations of overboosting based on controlled ECU levels and airflow
* Situations where the AFR rises above the optimimum mitsubishi engineer level of 9:1
* Any time the oil service interval has been ignored for over 50% timeframe/mileage
* Any time the stereo is on over volume 20 with 3 of the 4 windows down
* When you are on your way home from a bar with a hot to trot chick with herpes or any other serious STD as detected by seat sensers and the AWC system ( Active ***** Control)
* Any time you threaten to turn it in and buy a subaru.

It's not a defect. It's an undocumented feature.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:06 AM

Lulz!!!
Old May 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tevenor
Guys. This is a safety feature, much like the lizard tail dislodging when trapped, the new Mitsubishi patented GPOCS system ( Gas Pedal of Complete Safety ) system actives when the car goes into protection mode. The criteria for protection mode are as follows:

* In situations of overboosting based on controlled ECU levels and airflow
* Situations where the AFR rises above the optimimum mitsubishi engineer level of 9:1
* Any time the oil service interval has been ignored for over 50% timeframe/mileage
* Any time the stereo is on over volume 20 with 3 of the 4 windows down
* When you are on your way home from a bar with a hot to trot chick with herpes or any other serious STD as detected by seat sensers and the AWC system ( Active ***** Control)
* Any time you threaten to turn it in and buy a subaru.

It's not a defect. It's an undocumented feature.
Boy, dey sure do make dem Evo's all technilogical n sh!tz....

Active ***** Control, nice. This should get post of the month!
Old May 6, 2008, 11:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
At this point I would say that 90% of X owners are not doing anything more than driving their cars to work and shining the wheels and sh*t. Wait until people start using the car for what it was made for.

I drive my car hard, but I don't use any force on the gas pedal, because you don't need to. To me, the only thing that can require some effort from the driver in the X would be the brakes and maybe the steering wheel in big transitions.

I'm not saying that it might not break, but by looking at those pics, I am using nowhere near that force on the throttle that could break that plastic. If that plastic were on my brake pedal, I definitely could break it.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:40 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Question:
Did you ever move the kick panel cover below the radio and toward the firewall on the driver's side? The reason I ask this is because the gas pedal blocks it. You have to put the pedal on the floor completely to move this panel.

A lot of people do this to install a boost gauge when running boost line from the firewall grommet open on the passenger side to the driver's side.

I saw one guy putting in a boost gauge and he was FORCING the console cover over the gas pedal. I am not accusing you of doing this, but when he did this, he was pushing so hard the pedal was starting to twist. I was like "dude, you are gonna snap that pedal right off!" He said he did not want to press the pedal, but I told him its not a carbed old car, its a DBW car and to relax.

Anyway, I bet that guy's pedal will break off any day. He was seriously pushing against it.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:49 AM
Account Disabled

Dang, read about this on AutoBlog, is there any forums this aint on?
Old May 6, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Noise - No I never removed anything. It just snapped when I pushed it and it wasn't at WOT...it snapped on the way towards WOT.

If my wife see's that scratch on her table in that picture I'm toast!
Old May 6, 2008, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like ****. Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.

I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm j/k

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.

EDIT: Pictures on page 4
Hmmmmm, driving normally, lot full of other Subie owners, I think you just contradicted yourself there unless your definition of driving normally is some kind of a race event. While this is not supposed to happen, next time relax and don't get too excited and don't kick the gas pedal to the floor, just push in gently

Anyway, this is not the first time something like this happened and not the last, and with more manufacturers cheaping out on built materials, things like this will happen. I have seen this happen on BMWs, Audis, and Hondas although I would say that all those cars were rather driven "enthusiastically" in a "normal" way
Old May 6, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i was wondering about this issue and i typed into the google the "gas pedal broke"

whoa...
BMW - Mercedes - mustang etc come up ...
well at least interesting to know it is might be more in this issue then heavy foot
Old May 6, 2008, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think your foot is just too strong But I gotta agree that it wouldn't be safe for your wife to be with you that day though
Old May 6, 2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Revox
He did say it was plastic. I own an x and didn't realize the pedal arm was made of plastic. I definately worry now about this happening to me.
1g DSM's had a metal one while 2g's had a plastic one. I guess lots of cars now use plastic instead of metal since it's cheaper.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)