Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow man. Thats like a sick joke. I always hated down on my buddies kia now maybe I'll stop.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
Pedal shouldn't break no matter how hard it is pressed! This is a safety issue!! What did Mitsu corporate cust service say? My X is in for clutch replacement (3800 miles) and I have decided to contact Mitsu corporate cust service every time I go in for service....I believe it'll get a little tlc that way

Do you have a number for that handy? I have a punch list I want to discuss.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DRAG
So if your wife and kids were driving 60mph in rush hour traffic and the plastic pedal broke completely off and she was being slammed in the back by all that traffic, would that be "misfortune" also??

Is the fact that the car runs like **** for 2 months with NO resolution "misfortune"? This rich fuel condition is causing my car to get worse fuel economy than my 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Chevy truck...is that "misfortune"?

Don't get me wrong...I love the car. I just wanted to give people a heads up that are letting their families ride around in them. A faulty pedal design is a serious safety issue.
Thats the defininition of misfortune. You have the misfortune of driving a car with a faulty pedal.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misfortune

Anyway even the plastic pedals on the 8's were weak and I thought those would break as well but so far so good.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about the pedal, but unfortunately first year models (Evo X) generally have many issues. Hope it gets resolved and no further damage is done.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

wow thats surprising that a pedal would just snap in half like that!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like ****. Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.

I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm j/k

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.
I am truly sorry for your misfortune, but

I have NEVER EVER EEVVVERRR heard of an accelerator pedal braking on ANY car in the HISTORY of me driving cars (since 1989).. Weak.

Take that **** to the dealer and tell them to give you a new car!! I sympathize with your anger.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Strange, would be interesting to see pics of where the pedal broke.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I can think of a few places you could install that pedal, if they don't understand the seriousness of this issue....
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Wow that sucks, did you happen to get any pics?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

One of my buddies broke his clutch pedal in half....but that was on a 89 civic hatch with a exedy twin.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Don't forget the popping cheap staples on the seat.
Now broken pedal? Is it made of tin?
What a piece of junk Mitsu made!?!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

ummm late April Fools??!
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nongan
Don't forget the popping cheap staples on the seat.
Now broken pedal? Is it made of tin?
What a piece of junk Mitsu made!?!
Really? The seats are a bad quality?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

This is the perfect oppourtunity for the throttle on the steering wheel mod. If you are in good with your dealer and sign a non-disclosure agreement they might do it for free.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tekieru
Really? The seats are a bad quality?
The cheap staples are used to staple the cheap fabric into cheap StyroFOAM! After a few sits,
the staples start to pop out the FORM and the fabric hang loose. But that is much less troubling than
a broken pedal.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)