Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DRAG...sorry to hear that this happened AGAIN. I wonder if the haters in your first thread will finally realize that there is a design issue with the pedal.

Anyhow, I noticed your phone number is a central Illinois #. If you still live there, Mitsu has a plant in Normal, IL. Not sure how far that is from you, but maybe you could swing by there and knock on the front door with the broken pedal?

Otherwise, call Mitsu corporate in Cypress, CA. Or, ask your dealership for contact information to their regional sales manager or regional marketing manager.

One of them has to be able to figure this out. Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
DRAG...sorry to hear that this happened AGAIN. I wonder if the haters in your first thread will finally realize that there is a design issue with the pedal.

Anyhow, I noticed your phone number is a central Illinois #. If you still live there, Mitsu has a plant in Normal, IL. Not sure how far that is from you, but maybe you could swing by there and knock on the front door with the broken pedal?

Otherwise, call Mitsu corporate in Cypress, CA. Or, ask your dealership for contact information to their regional sales manager or regional marketing manager.

One of them has to be able to figure this out. Good luck.

It is an Indianapolis, IN phone number. I am not wanting it replaced or for them to do anything. I will just keep breaking them. I simply want to help them understand how hard I am NOT pushing on the pedal to break them. I will turn 4,000 miles on my car tomorrow and I think that kind of wear and tear is excessive, especially the nature of the failure.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 03:47 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DRAG
It is an Indianapolis, IN phone number. I am not wanting it replaced or for them to do anything. I will just keep breaking them. I simply want to help them understand how hard I am NOT pushing on the pedal to break them. I will turn 4,000 miles on my car tomorrow and I think that kind of wear and tear is excessive, especially the nature of the failure.
Have you thought about sending the broken pedal to MMNA corporate in Cypress, CA? Or, at least sending them pictures of the broken pedal along with a letter describing what happened and the flaw in the design? I'm not sure how often they peruse this forum. You might have better luck sending a nicely written letter along with printed pictures (or a CD with pics on it) to these two folks:

Francine Harsini - Director of Advertising

Dan Kuhnert - EVP, Sales and Marketing

6400 West Katella Avenue
Cypress, California 90630-0064

Either one of them would have to take an interest in this issue and would either respond directly to you or would provide this either to the PR team or the Lancer/Evo product manager. I think you'd get a response that way. Give it a shot. You've got nothing to lose. Also, send the letters via FedEx so you can track that they were delivered and signed for.

Good luck.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if it's your autoxing that's doing this. I know when I autox, I'm pretty hard on the gas pedal, especially when transitioning from brake to gas.

I haven't autoxed the Evo yet and now I'm a little afraid to.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

It is still connected this time. It just has a crack on the front side and back side main supports.

I would say that auto x is a major contributor to this. I press the pedal to the floor more times in one day than a lot of guys would do in a couple weeks, plus I run the car at the drag strip on Tuesdays. Most of the time I spend in the car is with the pedal to the floor.

Its an EVO, I shouldn't have to worry about pushing the pedal to the floor.

Don't be afraid to auto x your car because of me! You will love that thing so much more when you feel how agile that big boat can be
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Drag does that thing have a pedal stop?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
It is still connected this time. It just has a crack on the front side and back side main supports.

I would say that auto x is a major contributor to this. I press the pedal to the floor more times in one day than a lot of guys would do in a couple weeks, plus I run the car at the drag strip on Tuesdays. Most of the time I spend in the car is with the pedal to the floor.

Its an EVO, I shouldn't have to worry about pushing the pedal to the floor.

Don't be afraid to auto x your car because of me! You will love that thing so much more when you feel how agile that big boat can be
You know what's funny, when I go karting, my feet hurt afterwards from pressing the gas pedal so hard!! I'm sure my pedal would be broken if I autox.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Drag does that thing have a pedal stop?
No, it is a hanging pedal with no stop. There is 1/4 inch between the bottom of the pedal and the floor at wide open throttle. If the pedal had the structural webbing all the way up, it may be ok, but the webbing stops right where the most stress on the pedal is.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:20 PM
Former Sponsor

time for a carbon one, what do you think Drag
Old Jun 21, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

I'm up for anything that won't break I was taking it off Monday to have my engineer put it into Inventor so I could have someone cnc the thing. Carbon would do.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe you wouldn't have this problem if your legs didn't look like this ...

Old Jun 22, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear it happened again man-I wonder if Blacktrack or anyone else has had an issue with this? I'm just over 9600 miles....only 2 runs on a course, but cant see any concern on my car.
Thoughts?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you post pictures of your broken pedal?
Old Jun 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really hope that they recall this thing. I doubt that mine will ever break because I am gentle with it after reading about the first time you broke yours, but I still don't like the fact that I would potentially have to worry about it if I was really excited and stomped it a litle too hard. Mitsu, this is inexcusable. Fix this and issue a recall for a metal pedal arm replacement or suffer a loss in future sales.

Certain magazines have already gotten wind of this and made articles about it. However, this has happened to other manufacturers like toyota and even mercedes so as long as this is handled properly and quickly then all will be well. I know you are reading this Mitsubishi, so don't **** this up. I hope that everything works out well for you DRAG, that definitely sucks man. Look on the bright side, your overly heavy foot might help all of us evo X owners.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 22, 2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
I really hope that they recall this thing. I doubt that mine will ever break because I am gentle with it after reading about the first time you broke yours, but I still don't like the fact that I would potentially have to worry about it if I was really excited and stomped it a litle too hard. Mitsu, this is inexcusable. Fix this and issue a recall for a metal pedal arm replacement or suffer a loss in future sales.

Certain magazines have already gotten wind of this and made articles about it. However, this has happened to other manufacturers like toyota and even mercedes so as long as this is handled properly and quickly then all will be well. I know you are reading this Mitsubishi, so don't **** this up. I hope that everything works out well for you DRAG, that definitely sucks man. Look on the bright side, your overly heavy foot might help all of us evo X owners.
Tons of new cars have plastic stems attached to DBW pedals.
Get under there with a flashlight and notice that the clutch and brake stems are metal and super strong in comparison.

The stop for the throttle is not on the floor under the pedal, it is at the top of the stem. The throttle on a DBW car is more like a dip switch. Its nothing like actuating something that requires force such as brakes, or to a lesser extent a clutch, or an even lesser extent a traditional throttle cable.

I am near 8k miles, and my throttle is often open all the way as well. Mine will never break, because I barely use any more force on the throttle pedal than I do to wave my foot if it was propped up on a couch. Press "down" gently to full open and not through, and you'll never have this problem.

It can't be too bad, as there have been three recorded occurrences on here since the car launched in January, again two from the same person.

I know it is substantially weaker than a metal unit, or even a better braced plastic one, but if it is used as intended, you should never see a problem.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)