Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how this goes. Hell, if mitsu doesn't issue a recall and fix this like they should then I will buy one from you.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May i suggest going here and telling them about this problem as well.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not trying to start a big fuss with Mitsu and DOT. I just want my car fixed to where I can drive it.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
You think the clutch gets less abuse? You have to use a fair amount of effort on a clutch. Not so on the throttle.

The reason is probably other DBW cars use plastic and its an opportunity to cut costs IMO.
i was thinking in autocross terms... i only shift once (for 99% of my runs) when i autocross, but i'm constantly jabbing the gas and sometimes flooring it at corner exit.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 06:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by RoninR33
i was thinking in autocross terms... i only shift once (for 99% of my runs) when i autocross, but i'm constantly jabbing the gas and sometimes flooring it at corner exit.
Yeah, I'm talking about pedal effort, not number of up/down events.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Red face Gas Pedal Broke 2

Please nobody start another thread and let this topic go, unless of course another one of you has a pedal snap.
So here I am on my third launch on the new ACT clutch and I finally have all my ducks in a row. Traction control is off and I manage a 1.78 short time so I'm getting better every run. I grab 2nd gear pretty fast and upshift to 3rd... just as I planted my right foot to the foor I heard this loud SNAP and I lost power... Chalk me up as another victim!

The gas pedal snapped like a twig with all the leverage on the end of the pedal applying the pressure to the weakest point. Plastic does not work well in this application and to not have a rubber stopper to prevent the pedal from exceeding the normal operating range it's just a matter of time that it will fail. Granted this failed when aggressively driving the car, but imagine if I pulled into heavy traffic where I was relying on the car to accelerate as expected, you could easily cause a pileup if it broke at the wrong time.

Funny thing is I was thinking about removing it and reinforcing the structure with an aluminum bracket and filling the webbing with some JB weld. I also thought about using the OBD2 software to verify the max throttle position reading and then placing a rubber stopper either on the floor or on the back of the pedal to support the pedal when pressing down on it. I would just need to absolutely make sure it would never come loose and get under the brake pedal. I could easily bolt a rubberized block to the backside of the accelerator pedal so that wouldn't be an issue.

Guess I was too late on the prevention side!

Should be a good laugh at the dealership, luckily they are very friendly with me and will look at my 2nd run timeslip of 12.611 @ 109.50 with 1.862 short time and tell me I should have gone at least 12.4's.

Here is a thread by "Drag" where he also broke his gas pedal with the pictures on page 4:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...as+pedal+broke

At first I thought he was some crazy world's strongest man competitor, but if a 170 lb guy like me can snap that sucker off so easily it could snap off on anyone. I'm just glad it happened in a controlled environment like a drag strip. Failing at Watkins Glen could have been disaster if I really needed the throttle with someone else on my tail. Let alone the hassle of having paid for track days and not having a driveable car.

Here is one more to show the structural support. Notice how the OTHER side is solid. Where the pedal broke there is no solid backing and the cross bracing becomes thin in this area.
On page 5 he shows that area where the vertical backing is no longer solid, causing it to be the weakest link! Sure it may be an intended design for it to break there, but why not put an adjustable rubber stopper like the clutch pedal has to prevent over extension. I suppose I can learn to clutch fast with my left leg and be gentle as a feather with my right leg but that will take some time to coordinate.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)-buster-his-broken-gas-pedal.jpg   Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)-closeup-break-away-feature.jpg  
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Here we go again. Motherfrakker.
I want to moderate this like I want a hole in the head.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
great... I'll have Don Herring order a few spares for me ;-)
did you have to get towed home I assume?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Guess I'll tell Huggins and get Fort Worth Covered. They need to order some hood latch cables anyhow...so might as well add a few gas pedals.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

LOL Noize, sorry to report the enevitable, hopefully people won't go off on wild tangeants this time around.

I love this car and won't be discouraged, but for those that want to stab their gas pedals this is just a warning to be kind to it unless you do some mods to reinforce it or fab some sort of rubber stopper.

To any vendors out there considering what to make for upgrades, coming out with a reinforcing kit, rubber stopper solution, or replacement pedal would be well received.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I drove 35 miles back home without too many issues, although trying to push down on what was left of the accelerator arm proved challenging with an ACT 6 puck clutch! Luckily once at speed I was able to just use cruise control without any issues once I hit the highway portion of the trip.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
I drove 35 miles back home without too many issues, although trying to push down on what was left of the accelerator arm proved challenging with an ACT 6 puck clutch! Luckily once at speed I was able to just use cruise control without any issues once I hit the highway portion of the trip.
+1 for cruise control
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Update: I called the local dealership and talked to the Service Manager. He is getting one sent overnight and hopefully will have it in the morning. Driving this car without the full pedal is going to be a pita today!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
LOL Noize, sorry to report the enevitable, hopefully people won't go off on wild tangeants this time around.

I love this car and won't be discouraged, but for those that want to stab their gas pedals this is just a warning to be kind to it unless you do some mods to reinforce it or fab some sort of rubber stopper.

To any vendors out there considering what to make for upgrades, coming out with a reinforcing kit, rubber stopper solution, or replacement pedal would be well received.
I agree... someone will have to make an upgrade... that is just down right dangerous

Last edited by evolved83; Sep 11, 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)