Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they dont make these cars like they used to
Old Sep 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by T_A_C_H
they dont make these cars like they used to
yeah you are right. we don't even use carburetor anymore...
where is this world heading???
Old Sep 11, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
You should market support bracket & stopper kits to fix this issue. You'll probably make more money then mitsu does....
LOL poor Mitsu, not sure there would really be a market for the stopper kits, would rather just list what I used to fix it and help people out for an issue like this.

I'll release a final parts list with pictures once I get the new one to play with. The fix held up well today, although I'll put one more bolt through the lower half to form more of a triangle on the bracket. Bolts are SS M8 x45mm but I cut them down after the photo to clear the plastic that covers the steering column area. 40mm bolts would be perfect without having to shorten them.

I think you are right about the pedal intending to break away on purpose in the event of a crash, but how much pressure should they take before snapping is the question. Not sure a recall is in order but perhaps a warning that it does indeed have a maximum load before it WILL snap. Adding in a stopper that supports the pressure with the pedal at the lowest point would solve many of these issues, and then it would still break away if the firewall was pushed in by the engine.

Personally I will do both fixes on mine since I know I have a lead foot, I'm working on controlling that surge of strength I get when driving aggressively but it will take time. I really can only blame myself even if the idea of a plastic pedal on a 35k car makes me sick.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All we need now is the steering wheel snapping in half
Old Sep 13, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Driver error or not Gas pedal should never break. That should be the last thing on your mind " I hope I don't step on the gas pedal to hard aand break it"! I understand about cost cutting but this is insane. I have yet to see anyother car break a gas pedal How many more will break before they consider this a problem? Mitsu, you need to do better then this.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kobi2002
Driver error or not Gas pedal should never break. That should be the last thing on your mind " I hope I don't step on the gas pedal to hard aand break it"! I understand about cost cutting but this is insane. I have yet to see anyother car break a gas pedal How many more will break before they consider this a problem? Mitsu, you need to do better then this.
i agree with you on the shouldn't be happening part.
ALL the pedals should be idiot proof.
I would see rather they broke they own toe, then the pedals. That's way they would learn , the car cant go faster even if you brake your toe on the pedal or poke a whole on the floor with the gas pedal. The car speed is highly depend on your mods not your own power.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i agree with you on the shouldn't be happening part.
ALL the pedals should be idiot proof.
I would see rather they broke they own toe, then the pedals. That's way they would learn , the car cant go faster even if you brake your toe on the pedal or poke a whole on the floor with the gas pedal. The car speed is highly depend on your mods not your own power.
Nice
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

i hope did come out, not being offensive. I didn't write it that way.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I know the OP is going to or might get offended, but really come on? Is about speed not strenght with the gas pedal. Now the brake pedal have fun.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have never felt the urge to mash on my gas pedal, there is no reason for it. You will put the same power down by just laying into the throttle.

Some people just aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. Someone who is running down the street and sees a brick wall knows it will hurt if they run into it, so they turn and run around the wall. You'd be the type to smack into it head on and then complain about the wall being there in the first place.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

It doesn't really offend me, I know I shouldn't press harder than getting the throttle to 100%. Besides, half the time I can barely understand Robevo to be offended as it's all babblefish in my head after reading it.

I think the main trouble began when I upgraded my clutch so I'm naturally pressing harder with my left foot and it's only natural to press with a similar force on your right foot when you aren't actively thinking about it. Couple this with trying to do lightning fast shifts without stripping the gears and launching perfectly on a clutch you've only launched on twice, there is quite a bit to keep you occupied when drag racing in a new setup. I may try some no lift shifting next time I'm on the street and see how many rpm's it raises between shifts. If I can keep it to only a few hundred then that may be my best bet.

Just got done moving my reinforced bracket onto the new part, and fitted a rubber stopper on the back of the pedal to share the load as well. I'll post some pictures of the final product soon.
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
It doesn't really offend me, I know I shouldn't press harder than getting the throttle to 100%. Besides, half the time I can barely understand Robevo to be offended as it's all babblefish in my head after reading it.

I think the main trouble began when I upgraded my clutch so I'm naturally pressing harder with my left foot and it's only natural to press with a similar force on your right foot when you aren't actively thinking about it. Couple this with trying to do lightning fast shifts without stripping the gears and launching perfectly on a clutch you've only launched on twice, there is quite a bit to keep you occupied when drag racing in a new setup. I may try some no lift shifting next time I'm on the street and see how many rpm's it raises between shifts. If I can keep it to only a few hundred then that may be my best bet.

Just got done moving my reinforced bracket onto the new part, and fitted a rubber stopper on the back of the pedal to share the load as well. I'll post some pictures of the final product soon.
thanks for reading it
Old Sep 13, 2008, 07:51 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone calling this "driver error" would certainly change their tune if this happened to them and it (heaven forbid) caused an accident. If that happened, the first thing they would say is that they're going to sue Mitsubishi. But, if it's "driver error" as they're stating in this thread...would you really be able to sue Mitsu for your own driver error?
Old Sep 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost

Babblefish, i am the same
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Here are a couple closeups of the final product. It's the same basic bracket as before but I remade it to be more snug up against the base plastic where I have the red arrows pointing. This gives it a little more rigidity but I doubt it will ever be an issue again with the bracket bolted down. What makes the part fail early is the flexing action of pressing it too hard multiple times. If you prevent it from flexing in the first place via the bracket and rubber stopper I expect it to hold up without any more issues.

I started out with pilot holes and checked fitment several times and adjusted where I was drilling to get as close as possible. I used a small round file to slot the hole in the bracket farthest from the pivot point to get the needed clearance to make it all fit properly. A 5/16" drill bit works perfectly with the M8 Bolts. When drilling the plastic arm I only had to enlarge one hole near the pivot point and then drill a hole further down for the second bolt location.

Parts List:
1/8" x 1" Aluminum Angle stock
Two M8 x 40mm Bolts with nuts and washers (could attach the bolts the other direction so the nuts are on the passenger side with more room)
Two self tapping flat head screws
10-12mm thick rubber block (I used 2 small washers behind each to reach 12mm thickness, now the stopper hits the floor at the same time as the rear arm hits the plastic housing)

Hope this helps someone avoid the issue all together if they feel they have a heavy right foot!
Attached Thumbnails Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)-reinforced-gas-pedal.jpg   Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)-gas-pedal-stopper.jpg  

Last edited by Hiboost; Sep 13, 2008 at 04:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)