Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dam scary!!!!!!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how is that scary? there's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? if it breaks, the car slows down. wow, so dangerous. the only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. the gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by odub
how is that scary? There's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? If it breaks, the car slows down. Wow, so dangerous. The only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. The gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
+1
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Isn't this the second one? This freakin sucks!!!!
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:28 PM

I'm not worried about my gas pedal. Only two people have actually reported this problem.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
how is that scary? there's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? if it breaks, the car slows down. wow, so dangerous. the only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. the gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
You're waiting to turn into a street, you start turning your gas pedal breaks... An SUV that you went before is heading directly in your side...

Not dangerous at all. As long as the brake is working.

Last edited by Toxin; Sep 13, 2009 at 08:37 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Can you say assclown??? How is the gas pedal breaking not scary? Maybe in the OP the situation was not scary but what happens if you pull out into traffic to make a u-turn and the pedal breaks with on-coming traffic coming, or you pull out to make a turn, you have plenty of time but traffic is coming and the pedal breaks? I stop at my friendly neighborhood coffee shop every day of the week and when I come out of the plaza I always have to pull out with on coming traffic to merge in. Not scary is an understatement.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think more than 2 people..... but 2 people is enough, show me previous evos with broken gas pedal. This should be a recall, peroid. how about if broken pedal goes under your brakes.? o.O
Old Sep 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something should be done on this. Definitely scary. It'll only get worse as these things age and the repeated stress gets to them.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:14 AM

Not scary...

I'd ALMOST assume that you put a TON of pressure on your pedal under WOT, which will cause a lot of stress on a pedal... Maybe not all the time, but enough to break a pedal

Your wife driving it? Probably not putting 50-100lbs of pressure on the pedal at WOT frequently.

And DON'T try to claim that you RARELY go WOT...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:18 AM

Now it would make sense for Mitsubishi to put a strong pedal in a car every owner will put through the paces.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Yes it's scary and could lead to injury or death but the only thing that's a positive here is the fact it's a drive by wire throttle system and not the conventional gas pedals found in older vehicles! Once the pedal brakes; the car slows, at least where not getting a sudden surge of gas!

P.S. Until the OP posts pics, don't believe everything you read/hear I know how people are, they constantly try to blow issues up on the internet over one instance, I'm not calling him a a liar but I know how people are, nothing against the OP once again I'd just feel better seeing different pics of another issue in where the pedal broke.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by ODUB
Sure. Since it's completely unreasonable that you might be pulling out into traffic from a stop, going through an intersection (from a stop), or on a road with no place to pull over and with traffic potentially coming up behind you. All of those could happen and you'd have no way to get out of the way properly or pull over safely.

Not dangerous at all.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Yes it's scary and could lead to injury or death but the only thing that's a positive here is the fact it's a drive by wire throttle system and not the conventional gas pedals found in older vehicles! Once the pedal brakes; the car slows, at least where not getting a sudden surge of gas!

P.S. Until the OP posts pics, don't believe everything you read/hear I know how people are, they constantly try to blow issues up on the internet over one instance, I'm not calling him a a liar but I know how people are, nothing against the OP once again I'd just feel better seeing different pics of another issue in where the pedal broke.
You are calling him a liar if you say you don't believe him without pics. There have been other stories of people having their pedal break on them, so I believe this can happen.

Agree that it is very dangerous given that you are merging into traffic or trying to pass someone with a car coming in the opposite direction. Glad the OP is OK in this instance.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06MR6
Not scary...

I'd ALMOST assume that you put a TON of pressure on your pedal under WOT, which will cause a lot of stress on a pedal... Maybe not all the time, but enough to break a pedal
It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to cause a stress crack in incorrectly braced plastic. As was mentioned in previous threads, the bracing Mitsubishi used is inferior for the direction of force in this application. Compare our pedals to Porsche's plastic pedals to get a feel for how it should have been done. I'm surprised that design made it through quality control.

Maybe he puts a lot of pressure on it, or maybe the plastic had a defect that led to its failure... either way a pedal should not fail. Using proper bracing, adding a floor bumper to prevent excess travel, or using a floor-mounted pedal like most other DBW cars would have prevented these incidents.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)