Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:42 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to cause a stress crack in incorrectly braced plastic. As was mentioned in previous threads, the bracing Mitsubishi used is inferior for the direction of force in this application. Compare our pedals to Porsche's plastic pedals to get a feel for how it should have been done. I'm surprised that design made it through quality control.

Maybe he puts a lot of pressure on it, or maybe the plastic had a defect that led to its failure... either way a pedal should not fail. Using proper bracing, adding a floor bumper to prevent excess travel, or using a floor-mounted pedal like most other DBW cars would have prevented these incidents.
So with all this being said, is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening? Perhaps a brace we can put on it?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by odub
how is that scary? There's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? If it breaks, the car slows down. Wow, so dangerous. The only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. The gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
+1
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
how is that scary? there's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? if it breaks, the car slows down. wow, so dangerous. the only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. the gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
how about you're trying to make a unprotected left turn with oncoming traffic and you start into the intersection and the pedal breaks?

Or the part of the pedal that breaks off gets wedged under the brakes, that wouldn't be dangerous at all?

theres no excuse for any of the pedals to break ever.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by migs647
So with all this being said, is there anything we can do to prevent this from happening? Perhaps a brace we can put on it?
Not that I'm aware of. Most aftermarket companies are going to be loathe to mess with something as litigation-prone as a gas pedal, and the number of incidents so far is small enough that there's no financial incentive.

Your only option at this point is to not press the pedal down past the end of its travel, or develop an aluminum one-off like the guy who had this happen repeatedly.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by odub
how is that scary? There's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? If it breaks, the car slows down. Wow, so dangerous. The only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. The gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
+1

Last edited by Brsox10288; Sep 14, 2009 at 10:22 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I gotta go home and check the pedals on my RA at least... I guess what you can do is like the OP said, put a stop on it, like a brick.

A properly designed pedal should at the very least support the weight of a human being + max deceleration force * 2 safety factor. I know when I'm designing something that does not involve life and limb, I usually use 2 and change. For something that does, I use 4-8x safety.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:28 AM

you must have a real led foot haha
Old Sep 14, 2009, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

HA HA same thing happened to me, i think i have a lead foot because this is the second car that i have broken the pedal. I was pushing it so hard i was waiting for Super Fast And furious speed from the turbo to kick in yo!!!!
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cheb evo
You are calling him a liar if you say you don't believe him without pics. There have been other stories of people having their pedal break on them, so I believe this can happen.

Agree that it is very dangerous given that you are merging into traffic or trying to pass someone with a car coming in the opposite direction. Glad the OP is OK in this instance.

I am not calling him a liar, I just want evidence that's all! If someone said they saw you murder someone and had no conclusive evidence would you want to serve prison time due to someone else's word?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:39 PM

I have no hard time believing this. Another tread, another issue.

I just love the '' It didn't happen to me yet therefore it's won't ever happen '' attitude that some people have. Fanboy's much.

Fine, don't take 2 second to see if your pedal is about to break in half, see if I care.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
NO! NO! NO!

Do NOT attempt to fix or alter your gas pedal. This gas pedal was DESIGNED to be a breakaway pedal! If any of you guys actually took the time to look at the pedal, you can see they diesigned it that way. They could of easily made it stronger, for even less money!!! But that would defeat the purpose of a breakaway pedal.

Believe it or not, this pedal is made to save your ankles and legs in an accident. Many people used to break their ankles because the pedal wouldn't move and your ankle is what gave way, not the pedal.

If I had a choice, I would take the breakaway pedal 1 million times over a stiff pedal if it saves my ankles. It is for SAFETY!!!

Close this ridiculous topic. Move on...
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:21 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Wow great point!!!! I know our Rear View mirrors are specially designed to be breakaway as well. I never thought about this on the pedals. Good idea
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
NO! NO! NO!

Do NOT attempt to fix or alter your gas pedal. This gas pedal was DESIGNED to be a breakaway pedal! If any of you guys actually took the time to look at the pedal, you can see they diesigned it that way. They could of easily made it stronger, for even less money!!! But that would defeat the purpose of a breakaway pedal.

Believe it or not, this pedal is made to save your ankles and legs in an accident. Many people used to break their ankles because the pedal wouldn't move and your ankle is what gave way, not the pedal.

If I had a choice, I would take the breakaway pedal 1 million times over a stiff pedal if it saves my ankles. It is for SAFETY!!!

aside from visual inference, do you have any other evidence to backup this claim? Is the brake pedal a break away pedal as well from your pov?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yooyooyoo
aside from visual inference, do you have any other evidence to backup this claim? Is the brake pedal a break away pedal as well from your pov?
Bear in mind these articles are not specific to your vehicle or mine but there is evidence for energy-absorbing (and injury mitigating) pedals in motor vehicles:

Hyundai but still relevant to this topic:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6964212.html

Another patent on the design
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/61...scription.html

Study on force-mitigating/breakaway pedals to reduce driver leg trauma
http://journals.pepublishing.com/con...2l5151n643w40/

Volvos also use collapsing pedals:
http://www.volvocars.com/us/footer/a...t.aspx?item=71

Though I cannot find links to it, so do Hondas, Chevys and Chryslers (I remember advertisements about them)....and it's all pedals not just the accelerator....
Old Sep 14, 2009, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
NO! NO! NO!

hmm... sounds like it make sense... but why just the gas pedal? the brake and clutch pedal will break ankles too.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)