Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
how is that scary? there's no way a case like that would hold up in court because honestly, what's the danger of the gas pedal breaking? if it breaks, the car slows down. wow, so dangerous. the only thing that would be dangerous is if the brake pedal broke, or even if the clutch pedal broke in gear. the gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
this is seriously a hardcore fanboy comment
Old Sep 19, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steinvb12
NO! NO! NO!

Do NOT attempt to fix or alter your gas pedal. This gas pedal was DESIGNED to be a breakaway pedal! If any of you guys actually took the time to look at the pedal, you can see they diesigned it that way. They could of easily made it stronger, for even less money!!! But that would defeat the purpose of a breakaway pedal.

Believe it or not, this pedal is made to save your ankles and legs in an accident. Many people used to break their ankles because the pedal wouldn't move and your ankle is what gave way, not the pedal.

If I had a choice, I would take the breakaway pedal 1 million times over a stiff pedal if it saves my ankles. It is for SAFETY!!!

Close this ridiculous topic. Move on...
You do realize that most people that break their ankles and legs in car accidents are mashing down the BRAKE pedal and not the gas pedal?
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know what the engineers were thinking when they put that slit in the pedal right where it breaks at.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
You do realize that most people that break their ankles and legs in car accidents are mashing down the BRAKE pedal and not the gas pedal?
hahaha +1000000
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
You're waiting to turn into a street, you start turning your gas pedal breaks... An SUV that you went before is heading directly in your side...

Not dangerous at all. As long as the brake is working.
Originally Posted by svt04cobra
Can you say assclown??? How is the gas pedal breaking not scary? Maybe in the OP the situation was not scary but what happens if you pull out into traffic to make a u-turn and the pedal breaks with on-coming traffic coming, or you pull out to make a turn, you have plenty of time but traffic is coming and the pedal breaks? I stop at my friendly neighborhood coffee shop every day of the week and when I come out of the plaza I always have to pull out with on coming traffic to merge in. Not scary is an understatement.

still not scary or dangerous. you put yourself in a dangerous situation by pulling out into heavy traffic. also, if the pedal snaps and you don't panic, just push the part of the pedal that ISN'T broken. if the bottom half snaps, you can still use the rod that was connected to it, and the other half of the pedal. that should be enough to get you out of harms way.

OR you could just panic, sit there, and get hit. grow up.

the throttle STICKING WIDE OPEN is a problem, and still not that scary. i had that happen to me last night. i just pushed in the clutch, turned the car off, kicked the gas pedal to unstick it, started the car back up, and kept going.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
this is seriously a hardcore fanboy comment
that doesn't even make any sense.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So apparently the scenario of a busy street where there are very small breaks in traffic never happens to some people. That's nice, but not everyone is willing to wait until there are no cars within 500 yards approaching their intended path before pulling out "just in case" their car stalls or breaks a gas pedal. Driving is always a compromise of reasonable risks and if 99.99% of the time the car performs flawlessly that doesn't mean you have to drive like an old maid to be safe.

Assuming that everyone is paying attention to your car's acceleration as you pull onto the road is just asking for trouble. If someone told me to pull onto a busy street and then suddenly let off the gas and throw my hazzards on 10 times, I wouldn't do it for $5000... with how crappy drivers are in this country I'm betting at least 10% of the time you are going to get nailed hard because someone was not expecting your rate of speed or they were texting/talking on their cell phones.

A simple compromise would be to place a stopper on the back side of the pedal that would prevent over extension so that the break away point of the plastic pedal doesn't prematurely break from fatigue. I'm really not sure why it's so hard to understand why these have the potential of failing prematurely.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

still not scary or dangerous. you put yourself in a dangerous situation
Nice self-contradiction!
Old Sep 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

I mean it's definitely true that it would be a million times more dangerous if the brake pedal did this.. but I can still think of a hundred situations that this pedal stuff would be extremely dangerous.. Especially since it seems to happen at wide open throttle the most.. I can't believe there could be any arguments against that, even by owners. Only a certain few who think their cars, or prospective cars, are infallible
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

the gas pedal breaking is annoying sure, but not dangerous.
Yeah, a little bit annoying. Just a little.

I guess you don't drive much where you have to pull out into fast moving traffic to get places.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

there is no recall because cost benefit analysis doesn't warrant a recall on this yet. There have been no injuries there for no finincial burden incurred by mitsu. If this problem were occuring often and costing mitsu more than the cost of a replacement, than maybe there might be a campaign of some sort.

Corporate Greed :
Old Sep 20, 2009, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spunkysandoval
there is no recall because cost benefit analysis doesn't warrant a recall on this yet. There have been no injuries there for no finincial burden incurred by mitsu. If this problem were occuring often and costing mitsu more than the cost of a replacement, than maybe there might be a campaign of some sort.

Corporate Greed :
Not to hijack things too far, but every time I see a comment like this, all I can think about is this... I thought I'd seen one in picture form, but couldn't find one. And keep in mind our A and B are quite low.

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

Woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?

Narrator: You wouldn't believe.

Woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?

Narrator: A major one.
Attached Thumbnails Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)-20030911-fightclub.jpg  
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
when people will realize the fact, the car accelerate buy engine power , not a human power.
Wont matter how hard you push the gas pedal, your car will not accelerate better then its own limitation.

As i told you before , like the Street Fighter game in the PS. Ken will not hit harder, even if you break the joystick...

Old Sep 22, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Nice self-contradiction!
maybe you should have quoted the rest of the sentence

Originally Posted by wiretap
Yeah, a little bit annoying. Just a little.

I guess you don't drive much where you have to pull out into fast moving traffic to get places.
well stop doing that. besides, even if it breaks in half, you've still got the upper half and/or the rod connected to it to push on. it's not like you can't use the accelerator anymore at all. not that big of a deal, and not dangerous.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

why everyone broke their pedal say the samething.

"what if my wife and children are in the car?"

copy cat? I am just glad no one is hurt and still suprised to see mitsubishi didn't fix this problem yet

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)