Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi won't care. Find a lawyer that cares, then Mitsubishi will care.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by WWIXMR
Update:

So I'm at the dealer waiting for a loaner/rental and I start walking around the showroom and checking the other Mitsu cars. They all have the same plastic pedal.

I start talking to one of the techs and he tells me that they are made to break so it doesn't damage anything further on the throttle unit.

I'm not saying he's lying or anything, but if that's the case, then that is a REALLY stupid thing to do on Mitsubishi's part.

Next step for me is to contact Mitsubishi directly on this issue because I don't need this to happen again in the wrong place and the wrong time.

If I get nowhere with them, then I'm going to have to take further steps with an attorney.

This is a SAFETY issue and they need to come up with a solution for it because I'm not the only one who has had it happen.
In Mitsubishi's defense, you are one less than .1% people it has happened to. I've had two Xs, done 20k, and had no issue.

In my opinion, its from people (or prior test drivers pre-purchase) that have heavy foot on that throttle, which you feather effort on a DBW car.

If you use the throttle with lightswitch effort instead of clutch pedal effort, I think the pedal would last 300k.

Again, I'm not saying you did it, but if some friend or pre test-driver drove your car at some point and mashed the throttle through the floor, they could've stress cracked it.

Good luck with the resolution.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Like I previously stated, most of the other Mitsubishi cars in the showroom had the same pedal. The Outlander was one of them.

Just found this...

"I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander with less than 3200 miles. I pressed the gas pedal to change lanes then...Crack!"

http://www.carclubtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22504

Last edited by WWIXMR; Jul 23, 2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Like I previously stated, most of the other Mitsubishi cars in the showroom had the same pedal. The Outlander was one of them.

Just found this...

"I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander with less than 3200 miles. I pressed the gas pedal to change lanes then...Crack!"

http://www.carclubtalk.com/showthread.php?t=22504

I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm saying it is rare. Evo/Ralliart owners are likely to be the hardest on their pedal stems as they actually floor their cars most, but you can count the number of cars it has happened to on this forum on less than one hand.

Two of your links above are the same link, and two of them are the same guy who admitted to using high pedal pressure.

Last edited by Noize; Jul 23, 2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
...but you can count the number of cars it has happened to on this forum on less than two hands.
But it is important to keep something in mind. Not everyone is computer-savvy or is a member of a forum like this. I have talked to a bunch of Evo owners over the years who I have asked about whether or not they are members of any forums and they respond "no". I'm sure there are alot more people who have been affected by this over the years and have not reported anything online about it.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

this is just BS....
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:48 PM

Sue these a**holes! This is the stuff they give you for a car you pay over 30 grand! Bull****!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
But it is important to keep something in mind. Not everyone is computer-savvy or is a member of a forum like this. I have talked to a bunch of Evo owners over the years who I have asked about whether or not they are members of any forums and they respond "no". I'm sure there are alot more people who have been affected by this over the years and have not reported anything online about it.
it is def. aggravating. But i only know this issue from the web. I personally dont know anyone ,who had same problem. I did read couple case on the net though.

Look up toyota and other with they recall on throttle pedal... And look how much it takes to make a manufacturers to do an actual recall.

I do not think this issue exceed the required numbers or % to do an actual recall.

They might throw some note in the owners manual:
" Warning, The gas pedal made from plastic. If you depress the gas pedal over the plastic breaking limit or close to it , the car will not accelerate better as it would with a normally pressed pedal, and you might will break the gas pedal in the procedure."

Kind a like the coffe cups...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 23, 2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:33 PM

So did you lawyer up? Any result?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

wow this sucks.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you guys thought of riveting on a 1/8" piece of sheet metal to reinforce the pedal arm? 2 pieces. One flat sheet for base and one L shape for the top. Shouldn't be hard to make.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Have you guys thought of riveting on a 1/8" piece of sheet metal to reinforce the pedal arm? 2 pieces. One flat sheet for base and one L shape for the top. Shouldn't be hard to make.
Or looking into setting up a rubber stopper to put behind the pedal so it can't extend more than it should. May have to think up an easy fix for the time being.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

why don't you have a company or yourself design something.

Maybe a company like AMS or Buschur / Mike at AWD can machine up a steel or aluminum piece to replace it with.

You would get a great looking piece with functional safety features.

Maybe someone should start a thread for the vendors to see if anyone is interested in making this.....
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:42 PM

So, what? Are they just going to replace it without another plastic pedal that will break? I wanted to avoid hassles like this. I should've just stuck with the STI that had engine failures and called it a day.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nickcarlson1
Or looking into setting up a rubber stopper to put behind the pedal so it can't extend more than it should. May have to think up an easy fix for the time being.
This seems like an easy idea. How much room is there between the pedal and the floor at 100% throttle anyways?

Reinforcing the pedal is also a good idea but it looks like it is snapping towards the top, idk if that area would be easy to modify without causing a binding issue...unless I completely missed something.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)