Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sho669
This seems like an easy idea. How much room is there between the pedal and the floor at 100% throttle anyways?

Reinforcing the pedal is also a good idea but it looks like it is snapping towards the top, idk if that area would be easy to modify without causing a binding issue...unless I completely missed something.
there is no such a thing is a 100% throttle in the X. LOL
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by El_Kameleon_G
So, what? Are they just going to replace it without another plastic pedal that will break? I wanted to avoid hassles like this. I should've just stuck with the STI that had engine failures and called it a day.
ha ha chill bro, yours has not even broken yet am I right? My brother has a 2010 Mitsu Montero ( that car never made it to the US) and the car has electric throttle but the pedal arm is metal.... I wonder if it would fit the evo, and people could source the part from japan
Old Jul 23, 2010, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah because replacing a $200 part is much worse than replacing a motor?!
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
ha ha chill bro, yours has not even broken yet am I right? My brother has a 2010 Mitsu Montero ( that car never made it to the US) and the car has electric throttle but the pedal arm is metal.... I wonder if it would fit the evo, and people could source the part from japan
Lol Who makes master cylinders out of plastic? And the Subaru engine failure was a recall. Maybe someone over seas can look into that metal arm??
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Do these 36 pages lead to a Buschur sales thread?

Kinda looks that way..
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Contact the NHTSA and file a report if you feel it's a design flaw or safety issue (LINK).

Contacting the press and a few automotive blogs might also help move things along.

Perhaps only a slight risk, and maybe only effecting a very small percentage of owners.. I'd imagine that suddenly losing all acceleration on a busy 70MPH 8-lane freeway could easily lead to the disabled car getting creamed by a semi (and other following traffic) before being able to coast off the road to safety.

As much grief as Toyota's had over stuck pedals and various other safety issues during the past year (whether real or fabricated), Mitsu would be foolish to continue ignoring the issue.

Just my 2-cents though.. and hope corporate doesn't try to blacklist you from warranty for "racing due to obvious abuse of the throttle", lol
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:55 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I understand it, the outlanders, regular lancers, RA's, all have the same style gas pedal.

It looks like if you floor it, the back end of it would hit the end limit before the front would. So if you continued pushing on the pedal, the front would continue cantilevering while the back end that's connected to the housing would snap off. I'm too lazy to go out to the driveway to check right now but that's what it looks like.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2RZP...eature=channel
Old Jul 24, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

^^that is just crazy...sounds like he was just sitting stranded on the side of the road...
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by oftheheavens
^^that is just crazy...sounds like he was just sitting stranded on the side of the road...
Nah. That's me. Managed to cut over to lanes of traffic as soon as it happened and coasted into and empty parking lot.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WWIXMR
Nah. That's me. Managed to cut over to lanes of traffic as soon as it happened and coasted into and empty parking lot.
That sucks dude, did mitsu fix it under warranty? What did they say when you brought it in?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

They fixed it under warranty. But i'm still furious that such a thing even happened.
They were surprised that this happened and say they've never seen it before. I mentioned that there are a bunch of threads out there online with others that this has happened to.

I've been meaning to call Mitsubishi about it, but have been busy and hung up on stuff for my wedding in several weeks. I'm going to contact them directly on tommorrow. I'll keep you guys updated on what they say. I'm going to demand they do something to fix the issue or I will flood every blog out there about this. And with all the recent attention to recalls this year, I doubt Mitsu wants any sort of bad press.

Last edited by WWIXMR; Jul 25, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mitsu definitly will take action... especially since the whole toyota brake prob, last thing they need a stuck accelerator or 1 broken. I hope i will get a recall soon for this to be replaced with some metal or something strong lol
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:36 PM

Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

At least a TSB would be nice.. doubt they'd consider doing a full-on recall until someone dies or is seriously injured due to the issue.

Plus, having a recall seems to bring a lot of bad press.. with a service bulletin, they'd be able to take care of the situation while keeping it under the radar a little.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)