Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 years later still nothing? I hope they are not waiting for someone to die(pulling out into traffic, so you mash the gas)... mitsu cant take the PR nightmare that Toyota is facing.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Just got off the phone with Mitsubishi...

and I basically told them what happened last week and that I was concerned as it is a safety issue. I also told them that this isn't an isolated incident and that there are several threads(like this one) dedicated to this problem. I asked if Mitsubishi was taking any steps toward fixing it and the customer service rep basically told me that since they haven't had many reports on this issue, that nothing was being done.
I told her that the last thing I want to see happen is someone die because of this and Mitsubishi getting slapped with a recall like Toyota's. Mitsubishi couldn't survive something like that.
She also told me that recalls are issued by the NHTSA. I told her that I "preffered" to contact Mitsu directly first so they might be able to address it in a less-public manner.
She gave me an reference number to the call/report at the end of the conversation.

So basically, I could've predicted the outcome of the call.

So I think I will be filing a complaint with the NHTSA later tonite.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i dont think there is more dirt possibly can throw on Mitsubishi in the states as it stands today.
LOL
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

my pedal broke smooth off and i wanted to give every one a heads up. when i was buying my double pumper from blaqops i told him the problem with the pedals and he told me he would look in to it. about a month ago i talk to him agine and he said he was in the process of building a new aluminum design and it would not be long in comming. if this was already posted sorry for the time being i just took 4 metal straps the ones with the holes in them and 4 bolts and nuts drilled 4 holes bolted it back to gather and turned out much stronger than new lol which isnt saying much
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just ran into this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOqUY...eature=related

Interesting. If you look closely at the pedal toward the end of the video, you'll notice that the arm looks identical to the one on the evo. hmm.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

I've been in process of creating a replacement ever since the breakage threads have been started; I just couldn't believe in the OEM inferiority and though I'd ought to do something about it. After many months or even over a year now to come and think of it, the design was perfected. This is a billet aluminum piece meaning the whole shape was CNC machined over continuous operations. Everything fits OEM-style, even the oem pedal as you can see. I have a unit in a car for the past 3-4 months, which has been daily driven and proves functional. Logs indicate within less than 2% throttle position of the original plastic unit.

Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by WWIXMR
Just ran into this on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOqUY...eature=related

Interesting. If you look closely at the pedal toward the end of the video, you'll notice that the arm looks identical to the one on the evo. hmm.
there is many pedal failures . Just dig them up. Every car have defects . No manufacturers are free form diseases.
My favorite is the /i think / the 06 or above Vettes roof are falling off, when you driving. And they are not the convertible ones. LOL
Somewhere is the scanned letters from Chevy to the dealers, how they have to solve this issue if some one pulls in with it.
And you wont believe the solution./factory/ They using glue to put the lost - off roof back to the car... LOL
After that clever solution, many owners going back for water coming in the car when its rains.... SO compare that to the gas pedal. Not to mention they do not cost a same as the EVo. Granted they have a recall on that.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

My co-workers gas pedal just broke in half this morning. What should he do ?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Have him call mitsu corporate and complain.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
Have him call mitsu corporate and complain.
Which will get you nowhere because that's what I did yesterday. They will just make a case number and that's all.
Just go to NHTSA.gov and report it.
I'm sure Mitsubishi will care a little bit more when the NHTSA issue a recall and it goes public.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:10 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Have him call mitsu corporate and complain. The more complaints they get the better.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by itsme4g63
I've been in process of creating a replacement ever since the breakage threads have been started; I just couldn't believe in the OEM inferiority and though I'd ought to do something about it. After many months or even over a year now to come and think of it, the design was perfected. This is a billet aluminum piece meaning the whole shape was CNC machined over continuous operations. Everything fits OEM-style, even the oem pedal as you can see. I have a unit in a car for the past 3-4 months, which has been daily driven and proves functional. Logs indicate within less than 2% throttle position of the original plastic unit.

What's the price on one of these, and where can I buy it?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LagginTimes
What's the price on one of these, and where can I buy it?
Buscher makes them... call him up.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...assemlies.html
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
In fact the pedal in that thread is the same one I posted above as I've originally submitted my design to Buschur Racing. Since then, due to lack of interest, and talks regarding this pedal have been put on halt.

Since the recent traffic in this thread, I'd thought I'd post to see if there is any interest.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:39 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm have been running the pedal from itsme4g63 for a few months now.

The pedal has had completely the same drivability as stock, and has really been just like it should since I installed it... basically unnoticeable.

I put a 3 HARD track days on it a couple of weeks ago along with about 10,000 miles of driving and it has been performing as normal. I took some logs right after I installed it, and the logged pedal position was exactly on spot at rest, and about ~ 0.2% greater at WOT if I recall correctly, but it was at the level that would not have any effect on the ECU's engine calibrations. The profile is exactly the same as the stock pedal, and this thing is very strong... but also very light.

I took a couple of pics to show it installed, sorry about the field of focus, but this should show the pedal pretty well.

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)