Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@ MrEVOdream, most evo x owners are extremely happy. This was just an unlucky fluke, or the guy stomped the pedal harder than anyone ever should. I have no idea, but my guess is that it was cracked during the assembly of the car and has been getting weaker and weaker until it finally gave out. I have a hard time believing that it just cracked and broke from normal driving. I have been driving my car hard and have ZERO problems with mine.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
it is weird for sure.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Revox
It would be really hard to say that the change from a solid structure to the weave pattern is what caused a fracture in that spot. Certainly the design would have been weaker but is it enough to call it the only cause?
With my pedal broken off, it takes a pretty good amount of leverage to operate the electronic throttle (wore my big toe out!!! ). The weight of someone's leg pressing on the pedal would definately put some strain on that weak part of the pedal. If you had a way to measure deflection on the pedal, I guarantee you will see flex where this one broke. It is without structural rigidity right where it sees the most strain.

I leave for a business trip tomorrow, but when I get back I think I will order another pedal and have my engineer draw it in Inventor and do a stress analysis on the part. That will be easy.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DRAG
I leave for a business trip tomorrow, but when I get back I think I will order another pedal and have my engineer draw it in Inventor and do a stress analysis on the part. That will be easy.
Cool.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

If this wasn't a fluke and it turns out to be a common problem, which I highly doubt is the case, then they'll issue a recall and put a different gas pedal in the car, no biggie. I can't tell you how many recalls I had on my WRX, and yet I still bought the STi even in spite of the crap that my wrx put me through. Isn't this why we buy EVOs, because of the amazing performance and for the first time this year, the style? I mean I think that the interior quality, all and all is better than my STi, and that's good enough for me. If I wanted a BMW then I would've bought one, but they have more problems than you can shake a stick at. If you don't believe me then go over to the beamer forums and listen to all the complaints about electrical system failures, cruise control failures, seat movement malfunctions, parking brake failures, the list goes on and on. BMW builds a nice looking, nice feeling, but tempermental and unreliable car. Read the consumer reports and see why lexus beats them every single year in quality and reliability. EVEN THE MOST RESPECTED, EXPENSIVE CARS HAVE PROBLEMS.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Apr 9, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

1 reason why this doesn't make me freak out and stop from buying an Evo X. People have been racing them on the track here and Japan and we are not hearing multiple reports about this problem.

Is it a problem? Of course it is. And if it turns out to be more widespread I'm sure they will have a factory recall to repair/replace the part.

But ask yourselves this ... is Mitsubishi the first car company that needed to recall a product for adjustment after it hit the market? Is the Evo X the first car shipped from the factory to have issues or do many if not most cars have issues with one thing or another?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
dam. and i thought i had a heavy foot.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kisada
1 reason why this doesn't make me freak out and stop from buying an Evo X. People have been racing them on the track here and Japan and we are not hearing multiple reports about this problem.

Is it a problem? Of course it is. And if it turns out to be more widespread I'm sure they will have a factory recall to repair/replace the part.

But ask yourselves this ... is Mitsubishi the first car company that needed to recall a product for adjustment after it hit the market? Is the Evo X the first car shipped from the factory to have issues or do many if not most cars have issues with one thing or another?
By all means, go buy one. The positives GREATLY outweigh the negatives. It is 100% pure badass EVO...better than any previous EVO in every way but the gas pedal I just wanted to point out a possible safety issue that needs to be taken care of. If no one says anything, how does anyone know?
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the heads up. be careful out there.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Revox
He did say it was plastic. I own an x and didn't realize the pedal arm was made of plastic. I definately worry now about this happening to me.
Unbelievable. I'm going to go out right now and check my VIII to see if it's metal or plastic.

Update:
Just checked. The pedals have a long metal rod for the brake and accelerator and the clutch has a thicker metal rod.

-M

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Apr 9, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Its metal Boostez because it uses a pull cable to the throttle body. The X is drive by wire, so it doesn't need to be metal. Still odd that it broke.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
@ MrEVOdream, most evo x owners are extremely happy. This was just an unlucky fluke, or the guy stomped the pedal harder than anyone ever should. I have no idea, but my guess is that it was cracked during the assembly of the car and has been getting weaker and weaker until it finally gave out. I have a hard time believing that it just cracked and broke from normal driving. I have been driving my car hard and have ZERO problems with mine.
That pedal looks very cheesy and I can totally see it breaking under continued pressure over time. Metal should've been the right thing to do.

I'm going to ask my friend who owns a Mazdaspeed 6 if his drive-by-wire throttle has a metal or plastic rod for the gas pedal.

-M
Old Apr 9, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Mine runs great .. bone stock .. pulls hard all they way through .. no break up or hesitation ..

but if my gas pedal ever breaks off .. I'm taking that **** straight back.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

At first I didn't want to believe you, but after seeing the pictures I'm speechless. I've never in all my life seen plastic used for a gas pedal (EVER). I have had some minor issues with my GTS, the overall car being built dirt cheap! I was going to purchase the X next week, I may reconsider doing so now! I have a 2 year old daughter I have to think about, what is Mitsubishi thinking??? Family dollar paint, K Mart plastic and
recycled action figures for bumpers!

Mitsubishi, if your reading this, get your crap together PRONTO! By all means I will buy an STI if these issue's aren't resolved.

Last edited by Resist the syst; Apr 9, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

First the seat, then the gas pedal, makes one wonder what's up next?!

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)