Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
how the hell you guys driving , if you need to worry to breaking the pedal?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chamama
I have checked my BMW Z4, and it is a drive-by-wire system. But the accelerator orientation is different. Rather than hanging from a support, it is firmly planted on the floor, so no matter how hard i smash the pedal it won't break.(I hope!). The other pedals (brake and clutch) are conventional, i.e. hanging type.

The previous model EVO's have a metal rod over which the pedal sits. The pedal itself is not metal, and its not that strong because once I changed to ralliart pedals, the plastic support broke off. But because the metal rod is the main support, so there is not much stress on the pedal itself. This is because IX is not drive by wire.

Hope this is a one-off incident. But at least Mitsu should know about it so that they become more careful about these matters in the future.

And finally, Mitsu should be thankful to us because we take the car to the toughest tests and do the main R&D for them so that they can build a better next model (i.e. XI and so on) using these inputs.
My tl type s is the same way with the gas pedal. I think all of hondas drive by wire the gas pedal is bolted to the floor on the bottom . This might be a problem for mitsu and it might not, But I have never seen a gas pedal break before, even on yugo's (remember those )
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:09 AM
Evolving Member

Man, that sucks. I'd be so mad. However, it doesn't seem like a common thing, though so get it fixed and go back to having fun. Just don't take it to the @$$hole dealership.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
And who the heck makes a plastic gas pedal? I am assuming a bean counter is responsible for that one. Oi.
That is what i am saying? I dont really understand this. I wonder if the brake and clutch are the same. This is pretty disappointing. glad you weren't hurt man.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kisada
It's not a $40k car. How many times does that need to be said??
The one I'm purchasing is every bit of 40k! 38 close to 39 + tax and title, you do the math.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Resist the syst
The one I'm purchasing is every bit of 40k! 38 close to 39 + tax and title, you do the math.
Agreed, granted I deferred a little bit. But my final bill was a touch over $40k. Options, tax, tags, title and so forth. So I believe that would qualify it as a "40-Thousand-Dollar-Car". I sure as hell don't want my "Cheap 40k car" falling apart as much as my wallet.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I cant believe the evo X has another problem, I think I just might buy another IX.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

This is more than a little problem. Dang, the car freaking weighs 3600lbs but come on why put plastic pedals in a car???!!!??? Lose the weight elsewhere! I would be suing them out the butt. I don't care how hard he "could have been", the materials should handle that. It is a rally inspired car!

New X, first mod----> metal pedals

Last edited by beastlytalon; Apr 10, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

If this happens to anyone else Mitsu would be wise to issue a recall. Can you imagine someone pulling out into traffic in front of a big truck, going for the gas to get out of its way, and the damn gas pedal snapping....leaving them right in the way to get in a wreck, possibly even fatal?

I know there have been times where ive pulled out and if I hadnt had a gas pedal to press id be in some serious ****.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Resist the syst
My GTS is an ecnobox but the EVOlUTION also shares numerous parts with that ecnobox! Either way no 40k car should be doing this, I'm not going to protect Mitsubishi when their in the wrong, if that pedal were steel it would have never broke!!! I just went and checked mine, it's plastic as well but the brake pedal is steel. The STI looks nothing like a Focus, the X is by far my favorite but when you build junk and shovel it to the masses "consider yourself extinct"! I'm not going that far to say that's what Mitsubishi is doing, however I'm now in buyer beware mode!

BTW, it's the same plastic arm being used on my GTS gas pedal which was also found on the X! Mitsubishi should be working on specs around the clock, these cars carry human lives and last time I checked you've only got one life to live!!!
Look man you are seriously freaking out over what is an isolated incident. If you're that concerned buy the STI. The brake pedal is steel because you have to stomp on it and its met with hydraulic resistance/pressure. The gas pedal offers very little feedback, and as such requires much less tension/resistance when you push it down, making plastic a functional solution. You can look to the *1* single incident proving me wrong, or you can look for the countless other people in both lancers as well as evo's without a problem, its up to you. LOTS of cars have plastic gas pedals. Its not only mitsubishi that is doing this. BMW, Porsche, etc. Its not uncommon, and they don't fail often at all.

BTW its nothing new to be buying an evo with a cheap plastic interior, evo owners and reviewers alike haven't had many good things to say evos cheap interiors forever.

Mitsu isn't reading this. Drag will get his car repaired. You will still be left with the choice. If a plastic gas pedal prevents you from buying the X, great - don't buy the evo. Yours and mitsu's loss. No need to act like all of the evo's are bound to catch fire and burn your family up on the way to christmas at grandmas. You've been driving around in a car with a plastic pedal for however long you've owned the car already.

No one is asking you to "protect mitsubishi," I'm only suggesting you be reasonable. Sure, its unsafe and its a hazard. Its still also *just one* incident in thousands of lancers on the road. If you're that concerned about the welfare of your family, don't buy a sports car. Buy a volvo.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
If this happens to anyone else Mitsu would be wise to issue a recall. Can you imagine someone pulling out into traffic in front of a big truck, going for the gas to get out of its way, and the damn gas pedal snapping....leaving them right in the way to get in a wreck, possibly even fatal?

I know there have been times where ive pulled out and if I hadnt had a gas pedal to press id be in some serious ****.
its very likely an isolated incident.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
Look man you are seriously freaking out over what is an isolated incident. If you're that concerned buy the STI.

No one is asking you to "protect mitsubishi," I'm only suggesting you be reasonable. Sure, its unsafe and its a hazard. Its still also *just one* incident in thousands of lancers on the road. If you're that concerned about the welfare of your family, don't buy a sports car. Buy a volvo.
This is a completely ironic statement. I believe "freaking out" for an "unsafe..hazard" is a rational point. It only takes one incident to kill someone. Its not all about pulling out in front of someone. Sometimes evasive action requires planting your foot on the gas. You have control over the steering wheel, gas, brake, and shifter. I believe the gas is an important one also. You have to consider if the gas pedal fails and falls to the floor then it could prevent you from using the brake pedal. Some parts should not be altered for weight savings. Mitsu needs to fix this. The guy has a genuine concern. If this was the only incident and unfortunately killed him by some means, do you think the "isolated incident" matters to his family?

Last edited by beastlytalon; Apr 10, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

it is not modified for weight, but for costs.
we should remember that cheap does not mean bad quality.
the X is unfortunately made both cheap and with bad quality.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beastlytalon
This is a completely ironic statement. I believe "freaking out" for an "unsafe..hazard" is a rational point. It only takes one incident to kill someone. Its not all about pulling out in front of someone. Sometimes evasive action requires planting your foot on the gas. You have control over the steering wheel, gas, brake, and shifter. I believe the gas is an important one also. You have to consider if the gas pedal fails and falls to the floor then it could prevent you from using the brake pedal. Some parts should not be altered for weight savings. Mitsu needs to fix this. The guy has a genuine concern. If this was the only incident and unfortunately killed him by some means, do you think the "isolated incident" matters to his family?
Mitsu's not going to fix it because its not a problem affecting all lancers/evo's. Plastic gas pedals have been proven over time to work. You find the statement ironic because you didn't read the rest of the paragraph. Its a hazard on *Drags* car. The guy I happen to be arguing with is actually driving around in a fully functional lancer with a plastic gas pedal. If he's that concerned he should sell the gts and never look back. I call it an "isolated incident" because this is the only mention of the plastic gas pedal braking on any evo/lancer I've found on these forums, or via google search. What could have happened does not change the fact that its just not happening all over the place. If you want to spread FUD over a single mention of a broken pedal thats your right. I'm just saying take a step back, be glad it didn't happen to you, be glad no one was hurt, and consider it to be a very strange mishap for **one guy**.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 10, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

wow... im waiting... hell... i waited till '05 to get an evo 8... ill wait till the XI comes out...

Quick Reply: Evo X gas pedal stem broken off, very dangerous (merge)