Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Came from a speed6...not the same car, but the same motor for what it's worth.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steven88

1. Engines blow (whether bone stock or highly modified)...There is probably over 100 reported cases of blown engines on the forums...and I bet a ton more that aren't reported on forums
Subaru has replaced over 100 2009 WRX engines before they ever got a chance to be broken in. As far as I'm concerned Mitsubishi builds some of the most robust turbocharged 4-cylinder engines in the world. While you have the odd failure here and there, most have to be beat on severely to pop.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Subaru has replaced over 100 2009 WRX engines before they ever got a chance to be broken in. As far as I'm concerned Mitsubishi builds some of the most robust turbocharged 4-cylinder engines in the world. While you have the odd failure here and there, most have to be beat on severely to pop.
yeah I heard the 09 subaru wrx has blown engines as well...looks like 4b11t has convinced me...at first I was wary because of the all new design....but it looks like after being released for 1.5 years, i've yet to see more than 1 blown engine thread
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolving Member

same here, getting kinda worried about blowing my ms3
looking @ the evo X and s2000 cr right now
Old May 6, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Bump a thread from the dead.

Was wondering if OP and the others with MS3s made the switch yet?

I'm a current MS3 owner, former owner of 2 WRXs (05 and an 06), and I've been researching the (current GR chasi) STI to see if I wan't to switch back but the more research I do on the STI, the less I find it a compelling package, so now I'm looking at the X.

I actually love the looks of the STI and love hatches in general, but hate the idea of spending $35-$38k, only to end up spending another +$2k on suspension to get it to handle decent, another $600-$1000 for an AP and tune to avoid the ringland issue. I'm not sure if the changes for the 2011 STI will really remedy much of the handling issues.

The MS3 is an excellent handling car, with fantastic steering feel, and fantastic brakes, all in a package that's a solid daily driver with utility. With that said, I've come to hate the clutch, and the transmission often makes me want to steer into a tree. Then there's torque steer, (no need to elaborate there).

When I got the MS3, it seemed to make sense, and I convinced myself I could live without AWD and some of the tunability that the Subarus and the Mitsu.

I've always loved Evos (been a Evom.net member for a while) and I'm taking a hard look at X, laying out the pros/cons.

So I've got to ask those with experience in a MS3, do you miss the trunk space, interior, and is it a buzzy high way driver? Anything else?
Old May 6, 2010, 11:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
Bump a thread from the dead.

Was wondering if OP and the others with MS3s made the switch yet?

I'm a current MS3 owner, former owner of 2 WRXs (05 and an 06), and I've been researching the (current GR chasi) STI to see if I wan't to switch back but the more research I do on the STI, the less I find it a compelling package, so now I'm looking at the X.

I actually love the looks of the STI and love hatches in general, but hate the idea of spending $35-$38k, only to end up spending another +$2k on suspension to get it to handle decent, another $600-$1000 for an AP and tune to avoid the ringland issue. I'm not sure if the changes for the 2011 STI will really remedy much of the handling issues.

The MS3 is an excellent handling car, with fantastic steering feel, and fantastic brakes, all in a package that's a solid daily driver with utility. With that said, I've come to hate the clutch, and the transmission often makes me want to steer into a tree. Then there's torque steer, (no need to elaborate there).

When I got the MS3, it seemed to make sense, and I convinced myself I could live without AWD and some of the tunability that the Subarus and the Mitsu.

I've always loved Evos (been a Evom.net member for a while) and I'm taking a hard look at X, laying out the pros/cons.

So I've got to ask those with experience in a MS3, do you miss the trunk space, interior, and is it a buzzy high way driver? Anything else?
if you read my above posts...I was a former MS3 owner...switched out to a brand new evo x in october last year....never looked back

and no i don't miss the trunk space...the interior is not buzzy in STOCK form...but once you put an aftermarket motor mount...it can intensify the volume....but overall the NVH of the evo, you will become use to it within a month after switching out from your MS3....
Old May 9, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

I just traded in my MS3 yesterday for a 2008 RR evo X. I love this car, has been a car I have always wanted when they came states side back in 2003. You will not regret it. I took the evo on a 24 hour test drive to make sure I was completly satisfied and then saturday gave them the check from my credit union.
Old May 9, 2010, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11powered
I just traded in my MS3 yesterday for a 2008 RR evo X. I love this car, has been a car I have always wanted when they came states side back in 2003. You will not regret it. I took the evo on a 24 hour test drive to make sure I was completly satisfied and then saturday gave them the check from my credit union.
doesn't it feel good to actually mash the gas pedal in 1st and go somewhere? lol

on the MS3 you could not do that without severely smoking the tires
Old May 9, 2010, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Laz
It's totally worth trading in but I'm serious about the power -- the Evo X doesn't feel any faster than the MS3 until you get it tuned. Once tuned, it's much faster and it feels faster as well. Test drive an X and you'll see what I mean. At least you don't have to worry about spinning in 1st and 2nd though!!!!
When I was stock, once I got tuned with Mellon my car would brake all 4 tires loose in first... sort of a cool feeling with that much power though lol.
Old May 10, 2010, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
doesn't it feel good to actually mash the gas pedal in 1st and go somewhere? lol

on the MS3 you could not do that without severely smoking the tires
Make me smile everytime now, there is no drama, just pick up and go!
Old May 10, 2010, 08:24 AM

traded in an 08 MS3 on my Evo X. couldnt be happier. lots less cargo room but i dont really need/use it. its not much faster thana MS3 stock, but once you tune it its a different story. i dont second guess my decision at all.
Old May 10, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Wow the tires breaking lose when romping on it in 1st? I was never able to get that much power out of my WRXs.

To those former MS3ers how's the driving position and comfort? I'm 6'2, 200lbs and can get myself in a pretty good seating position in the MS3 with the telescoping wheel and adjustable height seat.

I would love to just actually go sit in one, but the closest one to me is 180 miles. I've sat in the GR STI and like the seating position, but found the height adjustment a not necessary.
Old May 11, 2010, 12:11 PM

Traded in my '08 MS3 for my '08 Evo X gsr
I LOVE IT! The mazdas interior and overall comfort was WAY better than the X but thats not why i wanted a Evo
I hated having a worthless first gear and once you do just bolt on the spinning gets ridiculous
I did AutoX in both and the MS3 did an amazing job for being FWD but cant compare to the X. Plus you can make the X 300whp SO easy and 400whp is barely any harder to get. With an fp green it makes a MEAN autox and street car
Old May 11, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Wow the tires breaking lose when romping on it in 1st? I was never able to get that much power out of my WRXs.

To those former MS3ers how's the driving position and comfort? I'm 6'2, 200lbs and can get myself in a pretty good seating position in the MS3 with the telescoping wheel and adjustable height seat.

I would love to just actually go sit in one, but the closest one to me is 180 miles. I've sat in the GR STI and like the seating position, but found the height adjustment a not necessary.
I'm 6'3 and im also coming from a speed 3 and i find the car perfectly fine, but i also have a friend that is 6'4 and felt like the x was to small, the x doesnt have a telescoping steering wheel or seat height adjustment but i find it perfectly fine imo, at first i was a little worried but its fine now.
Old May 11, 2010, 07:52 PM

I am 6ft 185 and have plenty of room and my daughter has not complained about not having any room sitting behind me. I love th X MR seats

Quick Reply: any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?