Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In response to that I will say that I once owned and SRT-4 and believe me there were more 1st time modders than MS3's and those engines held up surprisingly well and you rarely heard of engine failure. It's pretty well known the the 2.3 DISI has a weak bottom end and there have been numerous failures in the MS6 community which is at a higher price point which debunks your theory. I've owned Mazda's and they have always been the least reliable of any car I've owned so I'm not surprised at all that these cars aren't reliable.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well in terms of reliability...I think the DISI was pretty much a paid beta test for fords ecoboost technology.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 02:31 AM

I don't know anything about the SRT-4s so I'll take your word for it that they are more reliable. And given their lower price it does make sense they would have more first-timers.
Old Aug 15, 2010, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N118GT
Well in terms of reliability...I think the DISI was pretty much a paid beta test for fords ecoboost technology.
Ford sold off it's controlling ownership of Mazda and it's likely you won't see much future collaborations.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
Well, it's a done deal. I bought black GSR with SSS this morning. I pick it up Sunday. Did all the dealing and finance via email and phone and simply have to drive 5 hours to go pick it up.

I had them tint the windows, then they put it back inside where it'll sit until I pick it up. Ordering an Accessport for it as we speak.

I'll post some higher quality pics once I get it back home.

Congrats!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hirudin

Reliability: There are people having engines blow up. There are people with smoking turbos (which I understand are being taken care of by Mazda if you're not modding). There have been a few people who have had their engine fall out onto the road while driving. How likely is it that one of these will happen to you? VERY UNLIKELY. If you're going to mod your engine you have to know that there are risks involved. If you pretend that you can mess with whatever you want but still have the car function perfectly you're bound to be disappointed.

Remember that MS3s are considerably less expensive than Evos. Ten grand is a big dividing line in the car market. How much easier is it for a twenty-something to get a $23k loan for a practical MS3 compared to $33k for a high-insurance-cost, supped-up rally car? I speculate that a disproportionate number of Mazdaspeed 3s were sold to young, first-time-modders. I know I fell into that category when I bought my MS3. I think it's fair to say that first-timers are more likely to screw something up than more experienced people. Cars that have been screwed up are more likely to fail. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to "put two and two together" and conclude that it's likely that Mazdaspeed 3s have had a high failure rate because they have had a high inexperienced-modder rate. That isn't to say all failures can be attributed to poor modding ability, but some certainly can be.

I can hear people now: "What about those who were stock but their motor blew up anyway?" I speculate that a lot of the people claiming their cars were "bone stock" are simply liars. The others are flukes. How many "stock" motors have blown up? Ten at most? What's that, a failure rate of one in 20,000 or so? I remember seeing an Evo X that had apparently caught fire and burned up the whole engine compartment - flukes happen to even the best cars.
Your argument is a tad flawed, as pointed out by the SRT-4 community, and really most other turbo cars that have come out recently. Every tuner car out there will have a large portion of first time modders, and I have yet to see another platform produce so many engine failures, aside from an obvious engineering flaw with the 09 WRX's. If what you speculate is true, then we would have a "Blown engine resource thread" on here as well, because you cant honestly tell me that just because a car cost a few thousand more, everyone who buys one knows what they are doing when it comes to engine modification.

The reason you see so many more modded mazdaspeeds blow up is because it's an internet forum for enthusiasts who modify their cars, which represent a small segment of actual owners. You're assuming that because you haven't read about that many stock blown engines, that it hasn't happened. You could make an argument either way, as Mazda NA are the only ones that have those numbers. But like I said, most people who drive one strictly as an A to B car aren't going to bother with posting on internet forums.

We could argue the reliability of those cars until we're blue in the face. The simple fact is that we wouldnt be having this discussion if the reliability wasn't a question.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

2 days and I absolutely love this car. It past the road trip test, with a 4 hour drive back from Georgia, with a good comibination of open interstate and back road mountain twisties. Of course I took it easy as it needs to break in and I need to learn the car. AP comes in tomorrow and will flash Stage I as soon as it's broken in.

The MS3 ran pretty solid, though the stock tune seemed to have become worse after 30k miles (was at 39k when I got rid of it). It consumed about 1/4 quart of oil every change (3-5k miles), ate the rotors and pads pretty good in about 30k, and went through 3 sets of tires (admitedly due to my lack of diagence in tire rotation). I did have a CEL at around 20k that the dealer kept saying was nothing and would just go away, which at about 23k, the rear struts got really bouncy and squeaky, the shifter got ropier, it and developed a host of squeaks and rattles. I still really enjoyed it, and consider it the best FWD performance car.

I will say this again, that the MS3 is a better performing and feeling car than the 08-10 GR STI.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Weapon X
The reason you see so many more modded mazdaspeeds blow up is because it's an internet forum for enthusiasts who modify their cars, which represent a small segment of actual owners. You're assuming that because you haven't read about that many stock blown engines, that it hasn't happened. You could make an argument either way, as Mazda NA are the only ones that have those numbers. But like I said, most people who drive one strictly as an A to B car aren't going to bother with posting on internet forums.
Good points! I'm pretty much convinced.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I purchased a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 back in May. I had it until July 31st when I decided to trade it in for a PB 2010 Evo X. It's a great little car, however the clutch is horrendous. It doesn't engage properly from a start...the feeling was all a bit too weird for my taste.

I took a beating on the trade in, but I'm extremely pleased with the Evo so far.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mikey6273
I purchased a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 back in May. I had it until July 31st when I decided to trade it in for a PB 2010 Evo X. It's a great little car, however the clutch is horrendous. It doesn't engage properly from a start...the feeling was all a bit too weird for my taste.

I took a beating on the trade in, but I'm extremely pleased with the Evo so far.
Couldn't you tell the clutch was difficult to engage smoothly when you test drove the car? This is a common complaint.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:35 AM
Evolving Member

i didn't have any problems with my clutch, in fact i do miss it for the interior + hatchback.
i can't fit **** in the evo haha,
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

The clutch was fine on level roads, it was on hills that it became a nuisance. I test drove the car and I didn't notice anything unusual, however I must admit that I hadn't driven a manual in 10 years. I only began noticing after the car was purchased, as I live in a hilly area of NJ. The problem can be overcome with a little more throttle.

I agree that the interior on the MS3 was a lot nicer.

Pics of my new Evo X:
Attached Thumbnails any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?-p1000923.jpg   any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?-p1000945.jpg   any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?-p1000929.jpg  

Last edited by Mikey6273; Aug 21, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steven88
were you on mocc? i see your in socal
nah but you told me to join there, i never got around to it since i traded in my ms3 for the evo, i think i pm'd you once about buying your downpipe but could never make it out to the cerritos area since i'm in temecula and work 6 days a week
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

It's still a neon
Old Aug 27, 2010, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hirudin
Good points! I'm pretty much convinced.
rofl wtf is up hirudin, seems everyone from mazdas247 and msforums is on here with an evo now

i agree with what you said earlier, once the ms3 turbo kicked in it was awesome, it seemed to have boost on tap whenever you needed it. and yes the evo while i KNOW is faster, just doesn't feel as fast due to the awd, hell it feels down right heavy at times but will drive rings around the ms3.

the day i picked up my car i drove it across the ortega hwy in socal.
i drove that daily in the ms3 and on turns that made my hair stand on end in the ms3, the evo felt completely planted. i was tearing it up going thru there much faster than ever possible in an ms3. i just miss the storage room of the hatchback.

Quick Reply: any evo x owners come from a mazdaspeed 3?