Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

3000GT VR4 owners to EVO X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had a 99 gsx, and evo ix, now evo x.

the evo x owns em all IMHO
Old Sep 22, 2009, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Don't forget about the computer problems of the early 3000 GTs. I had a buddy that was on his third ECU. He also constantly complained of electrical problems and interior problems (random stuff breaking/falling apart).

On another note, I had a 91 Eclipse and the only advantage it had over the X was the lighter weight. It felt more nimble, but was't on the same planet as the X for cornering.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

4100 pounds is rather heavy and I agree less can be more at times. The EVO is by far the better car, for the GT's time period it was on par with it's competition. I guess I'd like to see Mitsubishi step it up and try to tackle the GT-R, I know the FQ is capable of doing just that! I think we could all agree the EVO is Mitsubishi's flagship, however a two door version would be rather exciting! I really don't think anyone who owns an EVO would go back to owning a 3000GT by choice, I was just curious to see what people's thoughts were about the GT. The car seems to be more of a legend as time passes by, needless to say I wouldn't trade my EVO for any make or model.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 02:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by mike100
4 wheel steering was just one-upmanship in japan for gadgetry. Honda had it, so everybody else jumped on that bandwagon because it was perceived as less tech if you didn't have what the competition had. Nevermind that it added weight and made the car steer in the most awkward, unintuitive way.

these days torque vectoring and stability control/braking modulation is where it is at.
Awesome post; true all around.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

I had a 3000GT VR-4. I loved that car. Yea it wasn't as reliable and was a pain in the butt to work on, but it looked good. I liked how i could wiggle the wing the most... lol good times.

Last edited by JJsEvo8; Sep 22, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Awesome post; true all around.
Very true, the Japanese are always desperately racing against one another to out do or one up one another when it comes to cars and gadgetry. I think, lets put an emphasis on (think), AWS could improve a vehicles handling if it were fine tuned and was made of light weight magnesium or aluminum components. With that being said the 3000GT was Mitsubishi flexing the companies muscle, I believe the car was overly complicated and controlled way to much by the ECU, which from the sounds of it could have been the main cause of some of the reliability issues.

I'm sure Mitsubishi learned a lot from past endeavors (pun) and transferred that knowledge to help shape the EVO. Anybody remember the DSM Starion? LOL
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:43 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuKJX01v5s

I wish i had this 3000gt .I have a ww evo x and a pearl white 95 vr4. Yea my evo feels smoother and its fun to drive but i just love the feeling of driving the vr4. Specially the exhaust note
Old Sep 23, 2009, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver06evo9mr
i had a 99 gsx, and evo ix, now evo x.

the evo x owns em all IMHO

I would agree with this statement if the IX was takin out of the equation.

For the longest time my dream car was a VR-4 until I heard the horror stories of how unreliable they could be. I would still buy one as a project though. They are sexy.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well I started digging around on youtube, the 3000GT was awesome for it's day, I can't believe they were throwing the word "boy racer" around in 91 lol. I still like the X over the VR-4 but the VR-4 was WAY ahead of it's time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7xLq...eature=related
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:58 PM

Hey guys thought I would jump on the band waggon considering im the other side of the story. I dont own an evo but do have a 94 VR4. Most of the things said here are true. Reliablility is HORRIBLE. High price on parts. Handling stock to stock the evo would DESTROY the VR4. Modding depends on what your trying to do. If you try to take a 20 year old design and make it as better in every way to the evo you are in for a large amount of money. But. If you try to make it a fun, fast peace of history (and in some ways better then the evo X) its really not that hard to do.

Mine. Is around 500-550bhp (havnt dynod yet) and is in nearly perfect shape inside an out. Grand total spent is 7k including the price of the car. Thats of course thanks to doing everything myself and shopping around.

At the end you just have to remember what your compairing. 20 year old tech GT car against brand new non GT tech.... Its like trying to compair a casset tape v. Blue ray... .

P.S.~ Best car every made hands down is the celica alltrac. Now that car was and will always be the ****.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You had me until this...

Originally Posted by hotrodhendrix
P.S.~ Best car every made hands down is the celica alltrac. Now that car was and will always be the ****.

And because you said that now I'm really curious to see this 500+hp VR-4 built for 7K.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I currently own a X and a 91 3000GT SL. The 3000GT had over 193,000 miles on it before I shot a rod threw the oil pan. So Im currently tearing the egine apart to put in a new one. Looking to put the stock turbo from the Evo on the 3000GT. Not sure if I want to keep the 3000GT or sale it after I get it running. Once its running Im going to drive it around for a little and have some fun it in, Hopifully not blow another motor.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:10 AM

I had a 93 Stealth RT twin turbo and two good friends have 93 VR-4's with TD05 turbos that run low 11's. They're a fun car but handling wise its not even close trust me. The VR-4 may only have 2 doors but its a tank. If you were looking at a VR-4 and want to drag it 93 is a good year because it still has the 5 speed so there's less shifting and longer gears to pull and those cars liked that. That was also before they went to the hybrid ECU. The downside is that you WILL break the aluminum transfer case on the 5 speed(Broke mine 3 times). I know that now you can get an aftermarket case to stop it from breaking because my friend has one. They are nowhere near as reliable and creak and rattle more than the evo (which is not quiet). They can make power but it is a lot more expensive to mod than the evo because you need two of everything i.e. turbos, heads. I loved that car but wouldn't go back
Old Nov 20, 2009, 06:34 AM

LOL work comp wont let me upload pics but I will try to get back on at home sometime this weekend. Yes the 5 speed for drag is better but to get both of best worlds you can put the MR gears into the 6 speed with the 5 speed rear end. Short gearing and an extra gear for the hwy.

Side note~ The MR VR4's had a lighter roof, shorter gearing and as stated above alot of weight removed. Higher stock boost if I remember correctly as well.

Celica Alltrac~ Reliable, RARE, Great engine, Toyota (pre crap toyota), Killed all off road at the time, SEXY, and pure awsomeness.
I have a 91 production number 666.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrodhendrix
Celica Alltrac~ Reliable, RARE, Great engine, Toyota (pre crap toyota), Killed all off road at the time, SEXY, and pure awsomeness.
I have a 91 production number 666.
All I've ever heard about them is that they are expensive, not many parts available and they have the 3SGTE which may be great to Toyota heads, but is nothing compared to the 4G63T. But yeah, its a good looking car, but if I wanted to go fast in that old of a car it would be 1G DSM all the way.

Quick Reply: 3000GT VR4 owners to EVO X