Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

50,000 Miles and what I think of my X

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonBoy
And this has to do with what? I never said that there aren't other cars that have flimsy pieces or issues. However, if you read through this thread, you'll find almost EVERYONE saying "It's an Evo - it's about performance, not build quality!" Why do they say it? Because build quality is comparatively lacking in the Evo, even the X.
The reason that people say, "It's an EVO..." is because for ~30k, there is nothing, including an S2000, that gives you the performance, versatility, and modding potential that an EVO does. While the S2000 is certainly more of a driver's car, and has a proper RWD setup (which I actually prefer in a sports car), it's too small to be practical as a daily driver for most people, and although it handles very well, it has underwhelming power in stock form and doesn't have much potential in that category unless you want to spend big bucks on having the motor built for boost. So, while it would certainly be nice to have a better quality interior in the EVO, the occasional rattle isn't a big deal to most people.

Who wants to spend time at the dealership constantly? What you consider trivial and what the OP (or I, or others) consider trivial are probably very different things. If I daily drive a car, I don't want it buzzing and rattling all the time. Very annoying, regardless of how fun it is to drive.
Constantly? The aero kit is a 5 minute fix that requires ONE visit. The rattling windows? I've never heard of ANYONE else with that problem unless they removed the weather stripping in the door jams to prevent scratches on their window tint, and that is completely self inflicted. Either way, this could be fixed with ONE visit, so acting like you'd constantly be at the dealership is ridiculous.

To attack (as many have) the OP because of his perceptions and expectations of quality in a car at this price level is both unfair and juvenile.
I never attacked the OP at all. Others may have, but I certainly did not. I said that all of his problems were easily fixed and to just go to the dealer rather than whining about what could've been or should've been. What's juvenile is you taking the side of some guy that has a few problems with his X like you're his lawyer and then over-exaggerating how wide spread these issues are because it's conducive to the perception you seem to have about your S2000 being the best car in this price range, and you're doing it in a thread filled with 17 pages worth of other X owners saying that they don't have these problems, no less.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Oct 1, 2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 628
So you guys can keep going on about your rattle free Mitsubishi, but I have 3 with the same problem. I live in an area with smooth roads, no speed bumps, and low driveways.
My EVO X isn't 100% rattle free as I have heard the odd noise from the dash over hard road bumps but it's not constant and I don't really notice as I can't hear it with the radio on and I'm having too much fun to care. I guess I could have bought a Camry and enjoyed a quiet interior but then I would have constantly complained about the handling, performance, and overall blandness of the vehicle.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 11:59 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
If you want a plush, non-plastic dash and leather trimmings, you can pay for it with a BMW, Porsche, or other pricey marquee. The expectations in terms of overall performance and interior quality of some people at the mid-30k price point is borderlining on absurd in this thread.
Well, there are plenty of cars that cost 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of an Evo that have a nicer and higher quality interior. Just sayin

Should Mitsu have put some higher-quality materials in the interior? Yes, they should have and very easily could have for minimal cost increase which would have kept the MSPR comfortably in the low to mid $30k range.

In the end, I knew what I was getting into when I bought my Evo X and I'm happy

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
The rattling windows? I've never heard of ANYONE else with that problem unless they removed the weather stripping in the door jams to prevent scratches on their window tint, and that is completely self inflicted. Either way, this could be fixed with ONE visit, so acting like you'd constantly be at the dealership is ridiculous.
Oddly enough, there is actually a TSB for this "window rattle" that some guys have had (I thankfully don't have it...yet). Something about a couple bolts or screws that come lose in the driver's door.

Last edited by atombomb33; Oct 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adambl03
Well, there are plenty of cars that cost 1/2 to 2/3 the cost of an Evo that have a much nicer and higher quality interior. Just sayin
Sure, my Mini being one of them (Actually, I believe their MSRP were within a few hundred of each other). However, my Evo is so much faster than my Mini on your average lapping day that a comparison between the two would be laughable.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
Sure, my Mini being one of them (Actually, I believe their MSRP were within a few hundred of each other). However, my Evo is so much faster than my Mini on your average lapping day that a comparison between the two would be laughable.
Yep, you and I see things similarly. It all comes down to making trade offs unless you want to jump into a $45k+ price range. If you want the performance of an Evo, then you'll have to give up some of the creature comforts and nice interiors. If you really want a nice interior you can get a Mini or GTI, but you'll sacrifice performance.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Once you sign the paper work, it's over! If you didn't do the research, you get what you paid for (live with it)! Yes the car has problems, I sometimes get jerky shifts and thought it was the transmission, guess what it was (me)! The paint issue you can't stop unless it sets in your garage 6 out of 7 days a week. No interior pieces have fell apart nor have my seat belt guides, the rocker molding was an issue that MMNA finally took care of...

The car has ran excellent, the AWD is unlike anything I've ever drove, it literally plows it's way through the snow! It's lighting fast to 60 and is decent on gas, yes that's right I said decent on gas! The brakes are super strong, the steering let alone is something most super car can't compete with, the stock 18" enkei wheels are very nice and the recaro seats are the best I've ever sat in. The rockford sound system is AWESOME, lots of bass for a 10" sub and the highs are crystal clear.

With all this being said I could go on forever about all the positives to this car, they more than out weigh the cons! Did I mention it has a good crash test rating and has 7 air bags? But no one cares about the important things, all they can do is gripe about the interior. You guys are to quick to sink your teeth into things they may not be true, for all you know the people posting some of these comments are from the Subaru boards and so forth! People are experiencing problems and I do see common issues that Mitsubishi will resolve if we stay civil, everyone just needs to stop bashing the X, especially if they don't own one like most of the bashers are doing via this thread!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Once you sign the paper work, it's over! If you didn't do the research, you get what you paid for (live with it)! Yes the car has problems, I sometimes get jerky shifts and thought it was the transmission, guess what it was (me)! The paint issue you can't stop unless it sets in your garage 6 out of 7 days a week. No interior pieces have fell apart nor have my seat belt guides, the rocker molding was an issue that MMNA finally took care of...
"Once you sign the paper work, don't bother complaining anymore!" - I don't understand the logic.

There wasn't much research to do on a new generation Evolution.

That's why I'm posting my problems for others to know.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

You made the decision to purchase the car, complaining about it won't solve any issues! In fact all it does it create a stink on the EVO boards, then you have non X owners chipping in every 5 seconds... There was quite a bit of info on the vehicle even in it's early phase, reading posts on here and picking up random car magazines gave me a firm knowledge of the vehicle, you should try it some time!

P.S. I purchased the first batch of X's delivered on America soil, I bought mine in April of 2007 and have had only minor issues with the car. Of coarse I've yet to mod mine and never will, so I've had only cosmetic issues!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

i dunno what you guys are talking about with this whole "interior is crap" thing. i thought the interior on the 8's and 9's were crap, and i thought mitsu did a pretty good job with the interior on the X's... hence the reason why i purchased one =P I've owned a 2004 audi a4 wagon, 2002 subaru wrx and a 98 volvo v70 and honestly the best interior i've come to appreciate is in the X. Hell even my girlfriend likes the seats compared to my old audi (only thing she liked more in the audi was the heated seats).

Only thing i wish so far is that the "carbon fiber" on the recaro seat was real =P
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm so u have not changed the oil in over 20k miles not good. But i love the 8,9 evo still not sure about the 10. But hey its a evo meant to be a track and race car not meant for the guy just DD it. Sounds like u had some bad luck so far
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:31 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik
50k miles and you say you're not doing normal upkeep on the car... and the only problem outside the ordinary is that you broke a knob off the dash and some minor body stuff? sounds pretty good to me =/

paint swirls? take the car to a detailer who will use a high speed buff
clutch starting to give? after 50k miles? yea, that happens. thats why they are serviceable
bulbs burning out? dang, why not just complain about it running out of gas

not trying to be a jerk, but honestly, that aint bad. try owning a mustang

I owned a Range Rover, the ultimate pile of junk. $6000 in repairs the first 4 months i owned it. Got rid of it for an 08 Evo X SSS a week ago. No mods yet, but a Greddy turbo back is on its way.

Previously i had an 06 STi i bought new, w/ Alphawerks headers, HKS turbo back, AEM intake, and UTEC ecu. Despite it looking like the sailor moon of sports cars, its was a beast. The interior quality was far better than my X is, but, the new STi styling is completely hideous, the engine was a pain to work on and I saw evo's running better with less mods. The interior on the X is so-so, but I've seen worse.

I also own a 91 R32 Skyline GTS-4, now that thing i sick! The interior is just a mirror image of a 240, but the engine is awesome! No problems ever. Not even a drip and it's 18 years old :bowdown:

To me it sounds like a lot of your gripes with the Evo is normal stuff. I've owned Mercedes, Lexus, etc, and eventually they rattle too. The RR was the worst.

For 50k in just a few years, man that sounds pretty good to me
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:35 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Xtremist

The car has ran excellent, the AWD is unlike anything I've ever drove, it literally plows it's way through the snow! It's lighting fast to 60 and is decent on gas, yes that's right I said decent on gas! The brakes are super strong, the steering let alone is something most super car can't compete with, the stock 18" enkei wheels are very nice and the recaro seats are the best I've ever sat in. The rockford sound system is AWESOME, lots of bass for a 10" sub and the highs are crystal clear.

With all this being said I could go on forever about all the positives to this car, they more than out weigh the cons! Did I mention it has a good crash test rating and has 7 air bags? But no one cares about the important things, all they can do is gripe about the interior. You guys are to quick to sink your teeth into things they may not be true, for all you know the people posting some of these comments are from the Subaru boards and so forth! People are experiencing problems and I do see common issues that Mitsubishi will resolve if we stay civil, everyone just needs to stop bashing the X, especially if they don't own one like most of the bashers are doing via this thread!

I agree on the Rockford setup, it is excellent! My Rover had the Harmon Kardon stereo, and it was awful compared to the Rockford. The Lexus i had before that had the Mark Levinson audio, and it was okay, but your leg position severly affected the sound stage. Before that one I had an 06 STi with the 6 dish in dash, and that stereo was just...bad.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 09:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Yah the rockford isn't that bad, but when you go from an aftermarket system (all CDT Audio and JL Audio), it was like listening to iPod headphones again lol. Not quite that bad, but there was definitely a big difference. I think I'll keep it around for a while though.
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:32 PM
Account Disabled

i still can't believe both of my recaros just got the famous staple problem. i couldn't believe it. will need to return to the dealer once again...