Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

50,000 Miles and what I think of my X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What do you mean your body panels look like their about to fall off? Isn't there warranty for body up to 75000 miles? I'm sure if a panel is falling off and there was nothing done to it, accident, etc, it will be covered in that warranty. Same with the side skirts falling off etc.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every car is different, my friend has a highly modified x and absolutly no problems, he beats that car into the ground and has over 50 thousand miles on a blouch turbo, doing over 400 wheel horse and never had any problems, sounds like you just got a bad apple or u don't maintain your car for s**t, sorry to sound like a dick but u just can't blame the car for everything,
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
what kind of maintenance? i think between 30k and 50k all you should need is oil changes, maybe spark plug changes, diff fluid changes if you didnt do it at 30.. otherwise i think you may want to put on your flame suit, maybe even the thread to close lol
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Seriously, car falling apart, maybe u run the freakin thing into speed bumps and crap, sayin car is falling apart, my old lancer es held up better lol
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:58 PM

Angry My car has only 1900 miles & the driver win rattles

My driver's window rattles and it only has 1900 miles, and my brakes oh I don't care if they say there performance brakes (brembo or not) thats why they squeak.
I did pay 33K for it, so it shouldn't squeak. It squeaks all the time.

Originally Posted by 628
11 months ago I had posted "20,000 Miles and what I think of my X"
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...hink-my-x.html

So here's the same, but for 50k:

Summary of my car:
-Eibach lowering springs installed.
-Replaced tires with Falken Azenis at about 25-30,000 miles.
-Replaced brake pads at about 20-25,000 miles.

Tires: looks like I'll get another 20,000 out of my Azenis.

Brakes: so far so good.

Disclaimer: I'll be honest, I haven't done any maintenance since 30,000. I understand the importance of it, I just couldn't find time and money didn't allow.

As for mechanical problems, the car feels alright at this point. I'm sure the clutch is in need of replacing, just doesn't feel right anymore. Other than that, I can't point out any other mechanical issues with the car.

Other issues I have:
1. My bulbs are all slowly dying on me. One after another, I find myself changing almost every bulb on this car. It's sort of happening all at once, so it's kind of weird. I really don't know whether to actually blame the bulbs, or blame the car's electrical system. Some of the bulbs that I replaced just aren't turning on at all.

2. Driver's left side AC vent knob (helps you position the AC) broke off. It slowly got tougher and tougher and eventually it just came off. And no, I wasn't hard on it. Hardly used it actually.

3. Windows are very rattly (open or closed) and don't move smoothly. (I'm aware there's a fix at the dealerships for this).

4. RPM's still fluctuate.

5. The interior is very rattly.

6. The side skirts look as though they're about to fall off, and some body panels on both front and rear of the car are looking like they're coming apart.

7. Seat staples.

8. Moderate paint swirls (I wash my car, and I've always been very gentle and buy new microfiber towels once every other month).

9. Moderate paint chipping on the front of the car.

I said at 20,000 that the pros outweigh the cons...but to be honest, I can no longer say that. Yeah, I haven't did maintenance in awhile, but none of the problems I mentioned really have anything to do with not having done maintenance.

If this car stayed the way it was in the beginning (problem free), I would still love this car as much as I did before. What I have in my mind now is "this is my last Mitsubishi."

That's all I have, thanks for reading.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:19 PM

dont start making me think about selling this car..... I want to keep it for the long haul
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by egydude15
Seriously, car falling apart, maybe u run the freakin thing into speed bumps and crap, sayin car is falling apart, my old lancer es held up better lol

Originally Posted by egydude15
sounds like you just got a bad apple or u don't maintain your car for s**t, sorry to sound like a dick but u just can't blame the car for everything,

Oh I'm cautious as hell when I'm driving and I always drive the speed limit, and I always take my time over every speed bump. I'm in no way at fault of causing my body panels to start separating.

I don't blame the car for everything, but I blame the car for anything it should be blamed for. I don't know who else to blame if I can't blame the car for the 9 problems I mentioned.

Originally Posted by BigT
What do you mean your body panels look like their about to fall off? Isn't there warranty for body up to 75000 miles? I'm sure if a panel is falling off and there was nothing done to it, accident, etc, it will be covered in that warranty. Same with the side skirts falling off etc.

Didn't say the body panels look like they're apart to fall off, I said the side skirts look as though they're about to go. Either way, I'll have it checked out at the dealer's though; I had originally thought body warranty was up to 30,000 miles.

Originally Posted by blk-majik
50k miles and you say you're not doing normal upkeep on the car... and the only problem outside the ordinary is that you broke a knob off the dash and some minor body stuff? sounds pretty good to me =/
paint swirls? take the car to a detailer who will use a high speed buff
clutch starting to give? after 50k miles? yea, that happens. thats why they are serviceable
bulbs burning out? dang, why not just complain about it running out of gas
not trying to be a jerk, but honestly, that aint bad. try owning a mustang

Wasn't so much complaining about my clutch giving in, just sort of mentioned it as letting others know that's how long mine had lasted.

About the bulbs, I mentioned that some of them burned out (within a period of one week; half the lights on my car). I can't blame the car so much, I blame the bulb company. But two of the bulbs I had replaced still didn't work. I had to follow the wiring and jiggle things around to get one of them working.

And for a $30k car from the oldest Japanese car manufacturer shouldn't you expect better quality and reliability than that?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with you that the X will be my last mitsubishi also.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 02:11 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 628

8. Moderate paint swirls (I wash my car, and I've always been very gentle and buy new microfiber towels once every other month).
Really, this isn't the car's fault. Swirling is typically installed during the washing/drying process. Buying new MFs every other month has little relevance. There's a thread on the detailing forum with multiple links to various tutorials. You may want to have a look. Good luck.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 03:08 AM
Evolving Member

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Personally, I bought this car with the understanding that it was going to require a bit of babying in maintenance and certain problems would have to be overlooked.

That said, the electrical system and the body panel issue are the only two of your list that worry me. Then again, my '04 Nissan Sentra had a few problems of its own right around 50-60K too...
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like you need to take care of the problems as they happen. only problem ive had so far (17k miles) was the seat staple thing and that took about 20 min to fix up. as far as rattling goes, only thing so far was my glove box but i fixed that with rubber stops. just put a bit of time into your car and stop complaining. theres nothing majorly wrong with the car from what you said so suck it up and stop nit picking

Last edited by xo0p; Sep 24, 2009 at 06:22 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xo0p
sounds like you need to take care of the problems as they happen. only problem ive had so far (17k miles) was the seat staple thing and that took about 20 min to fix up. as far as rattling goes, only thing so far was my glove box but i fixed that with rubber stops. just put a bit of time into your car and stop complaining. theres nothing majorly wrong with the car from what you said so suck it up and stop nit picking
umm wow

as a business guy, this is the kind of bs that always pissed me off. it's completely backwards because of the blind faithfulness these people put into their cars. we, as consumers are not to "suck it up" when we are not satisfied with a product. This isn't the early 1900's.

how much money should we pay for a product so that the product will function properly? you can run any current honda and not run into any of these problems..

that said, the 08 is a brand new car, and first gens are never perfect
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
umm wow

as a business guy, this is the kind of bs that always pissed me off. it's completely backwards because of the blind faithfulness these people put into their cars. we, as consumers are not to "suck it up" when we are not satisfied with a product. This isn't the early 1900's.

how much money should we pay for a product so that the product will function properly? you can run any current honda and not run into any of these problems..

that said, the 08 is a brand new car, and first gens are never perfect
hes crying about light bulbs burning out....like somebody else said in this thread, might as well cry about running out of gas also. theres nothing seriously wrong with the car so theres nothin to complain about honestly. just small things here and there that can be fixed with about 5-10 min of his time. just sounds to me like he wants the car to take care of itself for 50k miles

Last edited by xo0p; Sep 24, 2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xo0p
hes crying about light bulbs burning out....like somebody else said in this thread, might as well cry about running out of gas also. theres nothing seriously wrong with the car so theres nothin to complain about honestly. just small things here and there that can be fixed with about 5-10 min of his time. just sounds to me like he wants the car to take care of itself for 50k miles
haha you have me there about the bulbs. i think it's just difficult because there are some sacrifices that are made when buying a mitsubishi, even one that is 30k+.

Like I said though, I will be pretty damn disappointed if these issues continue with the 2010s.

Overall it just sounds like the 08 spent a lot of time in the "sports" department and not enough time in the "car" department

Last edited by kyoo; Sep 24, 2009 at 06:55 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

I know you have said that you drive your car carefully, etc, but not having it serviced since 30,000 miles to me a pure reflection of how you treat the car. If its too expensive and/or cant be bothered (find the time) to get it done, then I expect you have little sympathy for the car in other areas. Like insuring you don't let your foot hit/step/rest on the side skirts when you get in and out. If you want the bonus of having a great looking side skit that flares out you have to be prepared to treat it with care. Remember its not like its made of out steel and welded on.

Rattles, etc will happen in most cars, it the nature of the beast but a little time spent looking for the cause and doing something about it will help a lot.

AC knob dont break themselves in 50k miles. It requires force to be applied. (Unless its made out of like biodegradable plastic or something, which i doubt). Tried replacing/fixing it, or being gentle? It sounds like you said it was getting hard to turn, so instead of investigating the problem and looking for a solution at the start you ignored it until it broke. And now you are complaining?

I'm quite surprised your car has actually made it to 50,000 miles (considering the 20,000 miles of un-serviced driving). I thought you would have had a lot more mechanical issues to be honest. Maybe that actually reflects that the Mitsubishi build quality is pretty darn good. This is a performance car after all. Small engine/big boost usually equals a stressed engine if its built/designed correctly. Which means it has to be serviced regularly to work.

Don't take this as an offensive comment, its is not intended that way. Treat it more as constructive criticism if deep down you think any of it has merit, otherwise just ignore my post.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: 50,000 Miles and what I think of my X