Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

50,000 Miles and what I think of my X

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2009, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you complain too much. These all sound like normal wear and tear. Everything but the clutch could be fixed easily in a few hours or less on a saturday or for free at the dealership. Like others said concider yourslef lucky this is your only problems. Your getting off easy i think.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:00 AM

Rattling is common in the Mitsu's...I own a 3G and know many members who have problems with rattling plastic but thats just how Mitsu's are especially after 50k.

Its a 30k+ car with the best performing 2.0L engine and as w know most money went into developing the engine,tranny, AWD system so they had to cut it back on something, otherwise the car would cost way more.

I was checking out MKVI GTI and for 30K you get a 2.0T (with only 200hp not 300hp) but instead you get nicer interior,navi etc. As you can see in the 30-35 you have to ask yourself a question. ...Do you want awesome performing car with less interior quality or slower, more boring car with nicer interior and options.

If you choose both then you gotta go with S5, RS4, M5, 335i etc...then you should be happy
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

By "no maintenance" do you mean "no oil changes" in 20k miles?
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trbospnkr
My driver's window rattles and it only has 1900 miles, and my brakes oh I don't care if they say there performance brakes (brembo or not) thats why they squeak.
I did pay 33K for it, so it shouldn't squeak. It squeaks all the time.
Go to the dealer and have it fixed. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...sportback.html
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The car is stiff, and you will get plastic rattle here and there. Just turn the music on haha. You bought yourself a go-cart, track car- not a family sedan :>
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
this thread sounds to me, written by a person who never order straight from the menu, in the restaurants...
oh well , car got problems

Sum it up the last 50K miles, if you have a BMW or any other car. You can just easily find 9 problems too. Not to mention some even will cost more and perform less.

Cheers Rob
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
this thread sounds to me, written by a person who never order straight from the menu, in the restaurants...

Cheers Rob
lol gotta love those people
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:32 AM
hlm
Evolving Member

exspencive car = high maintance!!!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by tweakdsm
The car is stiff, and you will get plastic rattle here and there. Just turn the music on haha. You bought yourself a go-cart, track car- not a family sedan :>
^--- This! You bought a race car man. This isn't a luxury sedan. Think about all what you got for 30k that isn't giving you ANY problems. The engine, the transmission and the AWD System. Not to mention the aluminum panels, recaro seats (so you need to tuck a staple in), Brembo brakes (if they squeak fix them, all high performance brakes end up squeaking), Enkei wheels, etc etc. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but you must understand this is a race car / high performance vehicle. These things happen. Is this your first new car????

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

Sum it up the last 50K miles, if you have a BMW or any other car. You can just easily find 9 problems too. Not to mention some even will cost more and perform less.
Exactly, always going to be little things like this no matter what new car you have.

And as far as the paint goes, you can use the same microfiber cloth for years. I've been using the same one since my BLACK 04 ralliart and my Red VIII. It's all in how you use it.

A) you start from top and work down to dirtiest
B) you never go in swirling motion, always side to side or up and down
C) you always wash the cloth between rinses. Making sure there is no debris in the cloth.

If you follow those rules your paint will look just fine. If you aren't happy with the swirls (btw almost all manufacturers use the same paint now days), then buy yourself some Meguiars Swirl Remover. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SWIRL+16. The stuff does magic. When I bought my VIII it had oxidation on it because the guy before me didn't take care of it. So I used diamond cut 2.0, got rid of the oxidation. Then used the swirl remover to get it a glassy shine and get rid of the swirls. Then I used meguiar's wax everywhere. The look was amazing. Looked newer than new. With cars you have to put a bit of elbow grease to keep them pristine. And fix ANY problems as soon as they happen.

Go get your door window and skirts fixed at the dealer (mention the staple too). And definitely get it serviced. In any car 20k is tooooo long bud. You're asking for issues.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

It's nice to read about members going 50k or so.. thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns... As for the OP.. Here's a quote from Patrick Swayze in his movie "Point Break" 1991

" IF YOU WANT THE ULTIMATE, YOU'VE GOT TO BE WILLING TO PAY FOR THE ULTIMATE PRICE"
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyooch
haha you have me there about the bulbs. i think it's just difficult because there are some sacrifices that are made when buying a mitsubishi, even one that is 30k+.

Like I said though, I will be pretty damn disappointed if these issues continue with the 2010s.
Overall it just sounds like the 08 spent a lot of time in the "sports" department and not enough time in the "car" department
like most IPOs the first year model will most likely be problematic,like my 03 evo....alot of the problems were fixed by 05
Originally Posted by migs647
^--- This! You bought a race car man. This isn't a luxury sedan. Think about all what you got for 30k that isn't giving you ANY problems. The engine, the transmission and the AWD System. Not to mention the aluminum panels, recaro seats (so you need to tuck a staple in), Brembo brakes (if they squeak fix them, all high performance brakes end up squeaking), Enkei wheels, etc etc. I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but you must understand this is a race car / high performance vehicle. These things happen. Is this your first new car????
you sure have a heavy *** race car then....the X is supposed to be more refined than the CT9As
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:24 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SOEuro
you sure have a heavy *** race car then....the X is supposed to be more refined than the CT9As
Still a race car nonetheless. Still does as good or better on road courses than the CT9As. Try telling tanner foust his X GSR in Rally America isn't a race car

Refined sure. I like to say evolved. Compare a VIII or IX to the VI. Definitely more refined and more weight. Same body too! I go much quicker in my X than I ever did in my VIII as far as overall time. Sure my VIII had more rip your face off acceleration, but my X handled much better in the corners. And that's where time is. So yah, it's a race car.

Last edited by migs647; Sep 24, 2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

Even though i am dissapointed with the quality of mitsu vehicles.... it will never stop me from owning another one, they are just so fun to drive!!!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
And as far as the paint goes, you can use the same microfiber cloth for years. I've been using the same one since my BLACK 04 ralliart and my Red VIII. It's all in how you use it.

A) you start from top and work down to dirtiest
B) you never go in swirling motion, always side to side or up and down
C) you always wash the cloth between rinses. Making sure there is no debris in the cloth.

If you follow those rules your paint will look just fine. If you aren't happy with the swirls (btw almost all manufacturers use the same paint now days), then buy yourself some Meguiars Swirl Remover. http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+SWIRL+16. The stuff does magic. When I bought my VIII it had oxidation on it because the guy before me didn't take care of it. So I used diamond cut 2.0, got rid of the oxidation. Then used the swirl remover to get it a glassy shine and get rid of the swirls. Then I used meguiar's wax everywhere. The look was amazing. Looked newer than new. With cars you have to put a bit of elbow grease to keep them pristine. And fix ANY problems as soon as they happen.
You have the right idea, and I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments for the benefit of the group.

Washing with MF isn't a great thing, as the fibers aren't long enough to trap the dirt. Typically, sheep skin mits/pads are preferred, as are similar synthetic fibers for the reason cited. Washing a car isn't rocker science, but there's a process that's best followed. It's too long to go into, but there are plenty of well-written, documented tutorials with pics hosted on every single detailing forum/store. I can post some links, or folks can see the thread on the detailing forum here.

The Megs product mentioned above, #9, isn't really a swirl remover. It's a filler product. To remove swirls, one has to polish. It can be done by hand with quite a bit of effort, but one is much better off using a buffer. Product-wise, there are plenty to choose from, Megs 105/205 being the current favorites for use with a DA.

Lastly, if folks want to know how to maintain their paint well, and I don't mean smearing a coat of wax on the finish, you have to put in the time to learn how to do it. There's no way around it. Relying on forum postings, including mine, doesn't supply one with enough information.

Edit: I should also mention that there are VAST differences in microfiber. If you want to test the towel, you can rub it on a blank CD and note any scratches. As with the above, there's more to it, and those interested in keeping their paint in good shape should look into this in detail. IIRC, there's a recommended MF thread on the detailing forum.

Last edited by FJF; Sep 24, 2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I have over 13k miles in EVOX and not exactly a DD, or used lightly...
Not to mention my other Mitsubishi i'm using.

i have no quality issues with my Montero Limited over 50k miles...
well it is build for a different reason too.

/just for the rookies , the Mitsubishi Montero /Pajero/ has just as good racing pedigree as an Evo ... /

Some people even find it very fancy and good looking SUV too.
So i'm not sure the price vs quality is that bad with the Mitsubishi.

also i think it looks cool next to my Evo out there...

Quick Reply: 50,000 Miles and what I think of my X