Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Blue Smoke, oh oh!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
dont worry too much about the color. If you used a synthetic oil (which I am hoping you did), most of them change their color in the first few miles. It is not a sign of bad oil if you changed it recently. There are however some oils in the market that do not do this, please direct your questions to the oildoc in this regard.

As for the over-fill, its definitely bad as others have posted, but if you did not put too many miles and did not drive it too hard, you are probably fine. just get the extra stuff out of there ASAP.

You mentioned the mods but not a tune. Highly recommend a tune if you haven't done it yet.
Yeah i know i need a tune asap hopefully this week
I drained a little oil and the car seems to be ok hopefully it was just that.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Ok guys i need your help!!

I drained out some oil last night and today the car has puffed out blue smoke 3 times today!!! The first time going on 4th gear around 4000rpms normal driving the car puffs out a trail of blue smoke that lasts for about 2 secs, then getting onto the highway 3rd to 4th under mid throttle again, then a 5th gear pull wot blue cloud again, i got home and i notice a burned oil smell from the engine bay, i let the car idle a bit and no blue smoke or oil smell from the exhaust. The car feels fine no check engine light what so ever. Im really worried engine oil level seems fine. Any suggestions?? Im starting to get worried and think i should take all of my mods out and take it to the dealer what do you guys think i should do thats gonna be expensive!!!!

Last edited by pcasso87; Sep 29, 2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Keep in mind guys if you overfill it and go WOT there are systems to vent the excess oil. If I am correct this is one reason for the positive crackcase vent. It vents the oil back into the intake and burns it up through the turbo/engine.

Even if you overfill it it would have to be quite a bit in order to actually damage something. Many times, especially with evos, the oil dipstick will pop out and oil will go all over the engine. This can be caused by an issue with the PCV or somehow overpressurizing the oil system.

Someone correct me if any of this is wrong because that is what I believe happened when my dipstick blew out. I had installed the PCV line to my new intake incorrectly and pinched it, creating backpressure. POW!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I should check my oil level after the dealer changes it more often, I know of one gentleman complaining about how my old dealership over filled his Galant... From my understanding a machine fills the car with oil now? It''s no longer manually poured? If that's the case they need to keep the machine calibrated before someone ends up with a pile of rubbish!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Well i dont know what it is because i drained the oil last night and its in a perfect level and its still throwing out blue smoke!! it doesnt do it while the car is idling or while cruising or under wot it seems to be random, its done it 3 times today , one under wot in 5th gear, one under normal cruising, and another under mild throttle. It seems to do it randomly and it does not last very long !! very stong oil smell coming from my engine bay!!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:56 AM
Evolving Member

Posted it on evoxforums but i wanted to let you guys know just in case anyone has the same problem. The blue smoke coming out of my exhaust was a blown turbo strangely at 12,000 Miles my turbo walked on me. My intercooler pipes and intercooler were filled with oil when i checked it.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pcasso87
Posted it on evoxforums but i wanted to let you guys know just in case anyone has the same problem. The blue smoke coming out of my exhaust was a blown turbo strangely at 12,000 Miles my turbo walked on me. My intercooler pipes and intercooler were filled with oil when i checked it.
that's probably why you had to add oil in the first place...turbo seals go bad sometimes. Is the dealer going to warranty it?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike100
that's probably why you had to add oil in the first place...turbo seals go bad sometimes. Is the dealer going to warranty it?
Nope bro im changing to fp red or blouch i would have to take out all of my mods to take it to the dealer and its not very cost effective because i will have to install them again.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pcasso87
its not little or much its less than half an inch. Will that break anything?? i filled it up with the 5.24 quart mobile one bottle and poured it all in there. i did check after the oil change if my oil level was fine and it seemed to be right at the second hole maybe just a little bit more but nothing compared to what i saw today.

The blown turbo makes more sense. I overfill my oil slightly on large autox days and track days on my CT9A, and have been doing so for 50,000 very hard miles. A 1/2" wouldn't cause you that much grief, though it should stay at or very close to that top dot.

Good luck w/ the FP Red

Last edited by Solo II Evo; Oct 2, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Blown turbo seals....avoid the so-called mechanic you take to like the plague. Any oil drips or residue anywhere?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

just take everything out yourself and put back the old stocker parts take it to the stealer get yourself a new stock turbo then go home take the turbo out and sell that one and get your FPred. Do you do your own work on the car or not...if not then dont do it because they can tell if its messy....just my .02 cents to the dollor
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

too much oil builds too much pressure i think and will blow the engine seals...
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BoostINurI
Blown turbo seals....avoid the so-called mechanic you take to like the plague. Any oil drips or residue anywhere?
None what so ever, just the smell coming from my engine bay and a cloud of blue smoke when boost builds up. As of tomorrow the car is going to the shop waiting for the turbo to come in, i just dont want to keep driving it like this. Looks like a rental car for the next days until my new dodge ram arrives

Originally Posted by chin0
just take everything out yourself and put back the old stocker parts take it to the stealer get yourself a new stock turbo then go home take the turbo out and sell that one and get your FPred. Do you do your own work on the car or not...if not then dont do it because they can tell if its messy....just my .02 cents to the dollor
Just ordered the fp red i am not a very good mechanic im from mexico im used to having my own mechanic that i took to track days an paid 100 bucks a day for tuning my suspension and stuff so i really can just do basic stuff like, intake, change oil etc. i wouldnt do the downpipe , intercooler, springs etc lol. I just dont like doing stuff i dont feel comfortable because then it gets more expensive when you fck up. There is a g35 in jms racing that was brought in because the guy tried to do a pulley install by him self and ended up fcking up his crank.

Last edited by pcasso87; Oct 4, 2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

good stuff; so is it all fixed up? no more blu smoke right?