Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Just got the Fuel Line Recall Letter and my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got back from my dealer. I took it in for the fuel system recall and an oil change. From the time the tech drove off with my car until I was told the recall was fnished...it was about 18 minutes. I've taken my car in a handful of times without my airbox, just a K&N cone filter, and they've never said anything. I've even mentioned to my service writer i'm going to go catless and put a full exhaust on, and he said he couldn't wait to hear the difference in sound. I dont know if i just have cool service guys at my dealer or what, but i haven't had any issues so far.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:49 PM

Took mine in yesterday, took about 1 hr. mods... cbe, tp, and uicp + a tune, the dealer didn't seem to care. still got my warranty. maybe I'm just lucky
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noize
I'm not taking mine in. I don't have an intake, but I just don't want to deal with drama like that.
Bro, this could potentially be a serious issue though. If they issued a recall for this, it's happening on a frequent enough basis to warrant spending money, which we all know is something that mitsu avoids like the plague. If that line gets a crack in it and starts leaking fuel, it will pour on the starter motor, which could cause an engine fire. Although unlikely, that's not something that I, personally, am willing to take a chance on.

As far as the warranty is concerned, it's very unlikely that you would have any issues. What happened with that one guy is actually illegal, as a warranty can never be voided; warranty service can only be denied on a per case basis, and that has nothing to do with the magnusson-moss warranty act either; it's just the law. That guy's dealership is just a bunch of scumbags, and I doubt that yours is anywhere near as bad. Either way, do what you want... I just think ignoring this issue out of paranoia that your warranty would be voided because your car has an exhaust on it is a little silly.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

going to do mine this week
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
As far as the warranty is concerned, it's very unlikely that you would have any issues. What happened with that one guy is actually illegal, as a warranty can never be voided; warranty service can only be denied on a per case basis, and that has nothing to do with the magnusson-moss warranty act either; it's just the law. That guy's dealership is just a bunch of scumbags, and I doubt that yours is anywhere near as bad. Either way, do what you want... I just think ignoring this issue out of paranoia that your warranty would be voided because your car has an exhaust on it is a little silly.
I can do it myself for $28 in parts shipped, which I plan to.

This is my family's sixth Mitsubishi. I know all about voided warranties. Magnuson Moss is a pile of useless crap that people cling to on forums. You think an individual with an attorney is going to be able to take on a corporation that is prepared for this? I've seen friends with modded Evos get blacklisted.

Bottom line, if you have even a cat-back exhaust, you have increased the output of the engine, and you give Mitsubishi an out to void your drivetrain warranty. The warranty is meant for the stock power level, and if you increase it even a tiny bit, they can say the warranty was intended for stock power (it even says so in the manual). Engine, transmission, differentials, SAWC, forget having any warranty on that stuff if you show up with mods.

Now, will they cover your warranty for staples showing in your seats? If your air conditioner goes out? If one of your headlights fails? Sure. But that's not the stuff I am worried about. You do any hard parts, boost controller, tune, you need to concede to the fact your drivetrain warranty is cooked if you are caught, period.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

This is my family's sixth Mitsubishi. I know all about voided warranties. Magnuson Moss is a pile of useless crap that people cling to on forums. You think an individual with an attorney is going to be able to take on a corporation that is prepared for this? I've seen friends with modded Evos get blacklisted.

Bottom line, if you have even a cat-back exhaust, you have increased the output of the engine, and you give Mitsubishi an out to void your drivetrain warranty. The warranty is meant for the stock power level, and if you increase it even a tiny bit, they can say the warranty was intended for stock power (it even says so in the manual). Engine, transmission, differentials, SAWC, forget having any warranty on that stuff if you show up with mods.

Now, will they cover your warranty for staples showing in your seats? If your air conditioner goes out? If one of your headlights fails? Sure. But that's not the stuff I am worried about. You do any hard parts, boost controller, tune, you need to concede to the fact your drivetrain warranty is cooked if you are caught, period.
i would like to see they face, if i bring mine for warranty work with a very serious face
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Got mine taken care of at South Coast yesterday. Took a bit longer than expected and I'm sure they noticed my aftermarket parts. Oh well. Not going to drive with a leaky fuel return pipe.

My Evo smelled like gas sometimes when I was driving it and I'm wondering if mine was already cracked. Hopefully this fixed it.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mjesenovec
i just got back from my dealer. I took it in for the fuel system recall and an oil change. From the time the tech drove off with my car until I was told the recall was fnished...it was about 18 minutes. I've taken my car in a handful of times without my airbox, just a K&N cone filter, and they've never said anything. I've even mentioned to my service writer i'm going to go catless and put a full exhaust on, and he said he couldn't wait to hear the difference in sound. I dont know if i just have cool service guys at my dealer or what, but i haven't had any issues so far.
which dealer did you go to man?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, I know what a warranty entails and what it covers. I've been there and done that with dealerships before, so I assure you, there is nothing that you know that I don't. Again, what I said has nothing to do with the magnuson moss waranty act (which I agree is worthless). What I said is that a warranty can never actually be voided; warranty work can simply be denied on a per case basis. That's the law, and no corporation is above that, period. If you have friends that were blacklisted by mitsu, then they should've hired an attorney.

In any case, while I agree that once modded, warranty work on almost anything that goes wrong with your car will be denied, there are certain things that they cannot get out of covering no matter how hard they try. A good example is to look a failure that is widespread and known to occur even in stock form. Proving this to be a manufacturing defect is easy and if mitsu denies coverage, the department of consumer affairs will burn their asses for it. It's been done many times before, I assure you. Public records don't lie, my friend. Not trying to be a jerk, it's just that it's not as black and white as you think it is, I promise you. Oh, and call me back, sucka!

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Oct 6, 2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:15 PM

I know I am not going to get an answer to this, because there probably aren't two EVO's in this whole state, but does anyone know about the Boise, Idaho Mitsu dealership.

Bill Seifert

2008 EVO X
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

did mine today, had to call 3 different dealers and finally find one nice enough that I feel like I would get treated the right way like a customer, not some dirtbag. And my experience was great, everyone from manager to receptionist was polite and friendly. Took 45 mins for both the fuel line and awd flash.

and the dealer i went to is Bell Mitsubishi in Rahway NJ
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by chidevildog
which dealer did you go to man?
liberty mitsubishi in Libertyville, IL. It's a Bob Rohrman group dealership. I can't say I got the best deal when I actually bought the car...but I have nothing but good things to say about the service guys. The only gripe i have about taking my car into service, is not getting a loaner (which i ALWAYS got when i had my cobalt ss), but that trickles down from upper management, not the service guys themselves.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 09:21 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

anyone have a link or picture to the part that needs to be fixed or replaced?

i have no clue where under the hood this recall is for, but i want to fix it myself
Old Oct 7, 2009, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by .MM
anyone have a link or picture to the part that needs to be fixed or replaced?

i have no clue where under the hood this recall is for, but i want to fix it myself
Its all over this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...lliart-11.html
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mlomker
You can only get away with a drop-in filter and cat-back--I've never heard of anyone having a warranty issue with those. If you remove the air box or exhaust beyond cbe then you better swap them out when visiting the dealer or you'll lose the powertrain warranty (the rest of the warranty should remain intact).

It's too bad we keep having comments like that because I thought this was fairly common knowledge (this is the first sports-car that I've owned and I knew that).

i have a AEM intake and turbo back exhaust the only 2 items on the car,

Quick Reply: Just got the Fuel Line Recall Letter and my thoughts