Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no doubt things would be different on a longer track, interesting though
Old Jun 1, 2010, 11:23 PM

@ Sleestack: after reading through all these pages for like an hour (LOL) i must say its a very respectable and noble what your doing for your friend, please give us an update on his well-being.

as for the car, very tastefully done so far. Very high quality parts! i was hoping to get a write up review comparing your experiences with the EVO X MR and GT-R.

your short impressions with the EVO X MR on the drive home were great!

welcome to the EVO community
Old Jun 2, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Yes i also just read threw the whole thread and a very noble thing u are doin. Also gave me a new look on the mr touring. Good luck with the car
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sleestack you have a sense of style. when i buy an evo x it will look very similar to your white w/black setup. i very much like it
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Updated pics please
Old Jun 6, 2010, 06:47 AM
Pep

Yup! I'd like an update as well!

Has your friend made it through the treatments successfully?

Where are you at with your mods on your X?

Last edited by Pep; Jun 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 05:53 PM

cant believe i read through all 16 pages lol
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:06 PM

great job, good to see
Old Jun 11, 2010, 05:18 PM

I recently made the switch from the GT-R to the Evo X MR and I can say that I have been pretty happy with the switch. There are things I miss and there are things I like better about the Evo, but mainly I like experiencing something different.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

westmc... please share what differences you have found. Nissan GT-R is way out of my budget at the moment... but I'd like to know how they compare.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Crester
westmc... please share what differences you have found. Nissan GT-R is way out of my budget at the moment... but I'd like to know how they compare.
Here are some random thoughts...

The GT-R is WAY faster in everything but tight corners. The Evo drives like it is 1000lbs lighter (intead of 300) in corners and has significantly less understeer.

The Evo seats feel much better even though they look much cheaper.

The Evo audio system sounds better, although the interface was much better in the GT-R. I have the nav, but I hate that you have to touch the screen to change the channel. There should be channel up/down buttons.

Launch control is signficantly easier to use in the Evo. They supposedly improved it in the 2011 GT-R (launch control v3), but launch control v2 (the one that doesn't void your warranty) picks a random rpm between 1000 and 3500 rpm, drops quickly, and is almost impossibly to reliably get near 3500 although there are many tricks to help improve the chances of hitting 3500 (and some to even go over that).

I really miss the gauges (which included all sorts of temperature and pressure gauges as well as readouts from the accelerometer) in the GT-R. I also miss the digital speedometer.

The Evo shifts a lot slower but is definitely smoother. I do like however that in super-sport the automatic mode actually works well. The automatic modes of the GT-R are pretty much indistinguishable even though there is a race-automatic mode.

The Evo seems to have something filtering throttle input. The GT-R did not, which took some getting used to in order to not jerk when you start going (sort of like driving a real manual) but allowed for much more aggessive starts where the Evo is a little easier to drive but doesn't allow you to just stomp the gas and go.

I liked how the GT-R didn't require actually moving the stick to manual mode. You just flipped it or pressed the paddles. I don't get why the Evo lets you switch by pressing the paddles and then goes back if you come to a stop.

Oddly enough, I've noticed that both the Evo and the GT-R have the same computer glitch in the transmission. If you use cruise control a lot and you hit the gas after slowing down and then re-engage cruise control, a lot of times it will get stuck in 5th and refuse to shift to 6th.

The Evo gets better gas mileage during normal driving (18 mpg vs. 16 mpg) and during extreme driving (4 mpg vs. 3 mpg).

All aftermarket parts are signficantly cheaper for the Evo. For example, the AP is $600 instead of $900 even though I am sure it is exactly the same. On the flipside, some things seem to be much better made for the GT-R. I had paint protection film put on both cars and what the computer cutout for the GT-R fit significantly better (and was more expensive of course).

I hate the Evo side mirrors and really wish I could find an alternative. They really block my view of things close to the front sides of the car.

I dislike how the steering wheel of the Evo is improperly placed. The GT-R was the first car I had with a telescoping wheel, but every car previous to that fit me fine (so I know it isn't me), but the steering wheel of the Evo is about 1" too far away from me after I have set the seat to my leg length.

Oil changes are almost as much ($80 every 3 months vs. $200 every 6). Although, they it would be a lot easier to do yourself with the Evo. The GT-R was almost impossible with the full undertray. Along the same line, my insurance only went down $20 every 6 months with the Evo. I was hoping for more.

The dealership experience was much better with Nissan, but I really disliked how there was such a difference in pricing for service. The dealership closest to me wanted $300 for an oil change. Instead, I had to go to one further away that charged $200. Online, people would post that some dealerships only charged $100 (mainly in the midwest) and some charged as much as $500 (california).

The interior is much nicer with the GT-R.

The smart key functionality works better with the GT-R (and Nissan in general since there was nothing special about the GT-R's). There is a button on the handle that you press to unlock/lock. I dislike how it only locks with the Evo and I have to grab the handle which usually takes two tries. It also took me a while to figure out that you have to press the trunk button twice as opposed to holding it down (which seemed to be the norm for all other cars). The key itself is also signficantly smaller with the GT-R. I have no idea why the Evo's key is so fricken big.

I've read a lot of reviews saying that the GT-R has no character/soul. I'm not sure what that means but in a number of ways the Evo is more fun to drive which might be related to that.

The paint was better with the GT-R. I also have this terrible problem with the glass on the Evo getting water spots like there is no tomorrow.

The Evo is much taller and higher off the ground. I dislike how I need something to stand on to wash the roof but I like how I don't have to worry about dips and speed bumps as much. I might lower the Evo though.

Wheel/Tire selection is much better for the Evo. They are also much easier to take off (or more importantly put on) since they weigh significantly less. I actually had to buy a wheel dolly to help me change them on the GT-R since it would almost kill me to lift them and align them with the studs.

Nissan actually puts the manuals and TSBs on the internet. Mitsubishi does not, which annoys me. I can't find the TSBs anywhere (including Edmunds and on here).

***Hopefully I won't get flamed for this, but...****
In terms of technical/performance information, the forum support is a lot better for the GT-R. I've noticed that on both Evo forums, looks and price tend to get favored over performance and quality. On NAGTROC, it was the opposite, but more importantly, there seemed to be a much better sense of people trying out different products just to report back on them in the forums (especially tuners). A good example of this is how I had to completely give up on my attempt to find out what size wheels will fit on the Evo. As soon as it became about weight and handling instead of aggressive fitment, the technical data and feedback seemed to go away. I come from the world where spacers and rubbing are bad and using a baseball bat to roll fenders is unthinkable. Along those same lines, there are a lot more people taking their GT-Rs to the track, dragstrip, or autox and then posting about their experiences and what mods are working/not working or what parts are breaking, etc. Even though I am sure there are probably significantly more people racing their Evos, there are signficantly fewer posts.

XM is much better than Sirius. I thought that the gimick was that 80% of the stations were exactly the same and you just had to pay extra for the Best of Sirius/XM package to get the remaining 20%, but I found out that is not the case and it seems like XM gets a lot more music stations that if you read the fine print on the Sirius channel guide are only available online. XM also doesn't cutout as much.

Both stereos prevent you from copying mp3's to the hdd which is stupid although I am guessing more about copyright infringement than anything else. The Evo supports dvd which is better, although the 2011 GT-R will now have dvd support (although it got rid of CF).

I like how factory parts seem to be much cheaper on the Evo and that a lot of parts come factory painted.

I also like how there isn't a new version of the Evo coming out each year that has drastic improvements, unlike the GT-R. In Japan, they sell upgrade packages which will give you all the improvements of the new model year, but not in the US. Nissan is also constantly coming out with new fancy factory parts including seats, suspension, exhaust, datalogging, transmission controllers, etc. and only selling them in Japan which sucked, although they were insanely expensive. They also held back small things like automatic headlights for no apparent reason even though it came on the JDM version.

The mechanics at the dealership have to be GT-R certified but their knowledge seems to vary greatly from dealership to dealership and even though Nissan had a fancy GT-R only hotline that you can call with issues/problem, the support sucked. Now that I write this, I think this may actually be one of the reasons why there seemed to be more support in the forums (since there seemed to be more of an us vs. them mentality as well as a feeling of Nissan being out to get you). Some mechanics even read/posted in the forums trying to improve their knowledge because information they got from Nissan was a joke. They were very good about issuing TSBs and recalls, but until they did the quality of service varied greatly. Luckily for me, the 2nd dealership I wound up going to was very good. The 1st dealership, not so much. I have a number of stories about issues I had, but they are quite lengthy.

The Evo paddles are much lighter and easier to use. They also allow double shifting, which the GT-R does not.

I don't actually use it for anything, but the back seat in the Evo is usable. To get in the back seat, you have to slide the front seats forward and then slide them back over the person's feet and jam the person's legs between the seats.

The GT-R records everything, so it leads to a fear of upgrading or changing anything. Even changing the wheels can be a warranty issue. It could just be me, but I feel very open to mods with the Evo where I was scared to death to do anything wrong in the GT-R. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is, turning the traction control off on the GT-R voids your warranty during the time you have it off. If anything breaks and you bring the car in, they will check the computer. If it says you recently drove with the traction control off, then the issue is not covered.

That is all I can think of at the moment, but I am sure there are a lot more things I've noticed.

As fo some numbers...

HPDE
Me in a stock Evo with 91 octane = ~1:23
Friend in a stock GT-R with 91 octane = ~1:08

1/4 Mile
Evo with AP and 93 = 13.8
Stock GT-R with 93 octane = 11.9

Autox
Evo with AP and 91 octane = 25% from top in raw time
GT-R with 93 octane = 50% from top in raw time

Last edited by westmc; Jun 13, 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by westmc
I dislike how the steering wheel of the Evo is improperly placed ... the steering wheel of the Evo is about 1" too far away from me after I have set the seat to my leg length.
Yes, when someone comes out with a solution, they are going to make a killing.

Originally Posted by westmc
on both Evo forums, looks and price tend to get favored over performance and quality.
Completely different demographics and lets leave it at that.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

The GT-R records everything, so it leads to a fear of upgrading or changing anything. Even changing the wheels can be a warranty issue. It could just be me, but I feel very open to mods with the Evo where I was scared to death to do anything wrong in the GT-R. Just to give you an idea of how bad it is, turning the traction control off on the GT-R voids your warranty during the time you have it off. If anything breaks and you bring the car in, they will check the computer. If it says you recently drove with the traction control off, then the issue is not covered.
The Evo is also, what, 1/2 the cost of your GTR? Were you scared of voiding the WARRANTY, or were you worried about voiding the warranty on a car worth more than many houses in rural America ?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by hotdog
The Evo is also, what, 1/2 the cost of your GTR? Were you scared of voiding the WARRANTY, or were you worried about voiding the warranty on a car worth more than many houses in rural America ?
It was a number of things. If something went wrong with the GT-R and it wasn't covered under warranty, then the parts alone would cost a fortune. I bet that if you add up the cost of the parts on the Evo, it is probably 2x the cost of the car. If you add up the parts on the GT-R, I bet it is 100x the cost and aftermarket really isn't an option for most of the stuff. Just to give you an idea, most factory extended warranties cost about 1k - 2k to go an extra few years. On the GT-R, it was 5k to 7k. At first I thought that was just the GT-R tax as they call it, but I think that is probably a realistic number for repairs.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:13 AM

@Sleestack
It's refreshing to read about such things in this day and age.
Hope your friend is doing well.

@westmc
Great reading your comments comparing the X and the GTR, thanks for your insight. Not unlike many others...would love to move up to the GTR some day!

Quick Reply: From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?