Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
really nice thing of you to do for your friend he is really lucky best wishes

i have a 350z and im changing my platform to an evox gsr
looking forward to it !
Old Oct 7, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my MR!!!!
Old Oct 7, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

If there ever was a reason to give up a GT-R helping a sick friend is not only the best one you can have but also very admirable, you're a good friend. Where abouts in NY are you located?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 07:56 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend. For the things you've said you're looking for I don't think there is another car that will satisfy your requirements. An AWD car that has exceptional handling and decent pickup...thats an MR for you! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
If there ever was a reason to give up a GT-R helping a sick friend is not only the best one you can have but also very admirable, you're a good friend. Where abouts in NY are you located?

I agree, getting rid of the GT-R for a dieing friend is amazing.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Atleast you can always say that you had a GT-R. When theres alot that would love to say that The Evo is still a bad *** tho, I love it more out of all the cars I've owned
Old Oct 7, 2009, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brk4sti
Pick up a used m5 your not a boy racer an I think you'll feel the Evo is chinsey.
BS, there are no rules that say people of specific age, sex or religion should drive specific types of cars. If YOU feel that way it's your problem. And if your are trying to save money then a used M5, or any German car for that matter, is bad advise.

Last edited by lowkey; Oct 7, 2009 at 01:55 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

I also had a E46 M3 as well as my fathers E39 mint M5 to decide on instead of the MR and I am so pleased with it even despite the flappy paddles which turned out to be a laugh. You won't be disapointed. Mods and repairs are generally super cheap compared to where you are comming from. Some have said that the Evos handling is numb but thats becouse they werent pushing it hard enough, these things realllllly grip.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:28 AM

Very noble of you to be helping out a friend.

That said, I might try at least test driving an older (05-06) STi. The DCCD is a bit of fun, you can change it on the fly and it does wonders in the snow when set to 50/50 lock. The STI chassis is set up more like a traditional RWD platform (steering rack location). AND you get the stout 6 speed transmission.

I'm still on the stock suspension with mine but from what I've heard, the EVO is simply another beast when it comes to handling. You have to go a little bit out on a limb to get the STI to play ball, but it's very predictable and fun at the limit.

The only problem is, the EVO response is pretty much unmatched unless you start throwing bushings/sways/endlinks/quicker steering rack at the STI. Plus, you'll get gobs of power for much cheaper.

STI: 6MT/RWD bias/exhaust note!
EVO: cheap power/great stock handling

It's a matter of personal preference. I didn't test drive an EVO when I was shopping around because I was worried I might like it .
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

You should enjoy the Lancer if you value performance over luxury... just get a tune so you will be comfortable with the power.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think you will be dissapointed. I have a E46 M3 and never drive it. Love the handling of the EVO. I do miss the power of my previous cars but that is fixable with the EVO. Good luck with your choice.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BigNutzMcGee
Very noble of you to be helping out a friend.

That said, I might try at least test driving an older (05-06) STi. The DCCD is a bit of fun, you can change it on the fly and it does wonders in the snow when set to 50/50 lock. The STI chassis is set up more like a traditional RWD platform (steering rack location). AND you get the stout 6 speed transmission.

I'm still on the stock suspension with mine but from what I've heard, the EVO is simply another beast when it comes to handling. You have to go a little bit out on a limb to get the STI to play ball, but it's very predictable and fun at the limit.

The only problem is, the EVO response is pretty much unmatched unless you start throwing bushings/sways/endlinks/quicker steering rack at the STI. Plus, you'll get gobs of power for much cheaper.

STI: 6MT/RWD bias/exhaust note!
EVO: cheap power/great stock handling

It's a matter of personal preference. I didn't test drive an EVO when I was shopping around because I was worried I might like it .

I was shopping for an 05/06 STi..i even lurked for 3 years on iwsti.com. The dealer that had the STi i wanted was being a jerk. A local dealer had an Evo X in stock, so one day i took the test drive..i bought it the same day.Never thought i would be in an EVO, after all that research i did on the Sti. Lol, u would've bought the EVO if you took that test drive, take it from me.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I did say I am selling my GT-R to cover hospital bills for a friend (who is dying). I'm not sure if that still makes me insane.
wow ! this a very noble thing to do.
i think a Evo X isnt that bad until 2011
Old Oct 7, 2009, 12:41 PM

Haven't read through this thread, but I've had quite a few nice cars. Having owned 6 Porsche 911s including both 996 and 997 GT3s and a Ferrari, I kind of shrug my shoulders now with a 'been there done that' attitude.

I'm still a car guy but no longer require the badge to show the world that I've 'arrived'. It's all about the driving experience, and in that category, the Evo doesn't disappoint. It's not perfect, but it's a blast. In the end, that's what counts: drive a fun car.

As my kids get older, I find that I spend less time pursuing selfish possessions and more time pursuing stuff the whole family can enjoy. When I sold the Ferrari I bought a beach house that is our home base all summer long. I would do that again in a heartbeat!

One of the nice things of the Evo is that in addition to its practicality, you don't obsess over it, as in, care if it gets rained on or care too much about where it's parked. It's a freedom that I didn't have with some of the metal I've owned.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 03:44 PM

I also read your post on Nagtroc and think your are doing a great thing for your friend. Being a cancer patient undergoing treatment now I fully understand the cost involved with just chemo. Not many people would do what you are doing.

As far as a replacement car......If its a turbo awd 4dr car you want I would pick the evo over the STI. I like the looks of the EVO better and think it is more mod friendly. It is true however that the EVO will behave different at higher speeds due to the rear drive bias at speed in the GTR and if you wanted something closer to its feel then the STI's AWD system is what you want.

If I had to get out of my GTR and was going to replace it with a performance type car that cost less the EVO X would definately be high on my list.

Quick Reply: From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?