Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you'll be in withdrawal or have some buyer's remorse with stock power on the MR. The evox must be tuned. You can always flash back...but still.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Good looking out, nice to hear about people that still got each others back no matter what!!! Do the gsr you will be able to add more pwr in the future. As for the handling of the evo 10 it's right up there with the gtr, but with less pwr.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

post pics when you finally get into your evo...congrats!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

OK. Picked up the 2010 Evo MR Touring this afternoon. I'm having the factory navigation installed next week and sending it to tint tomorrow. I'll post better pictures after I get the nav in next week.

I'm going to wait until 2500 miles to do a dyno tune. No totally sure what I want to do as far as interior/exterior aesthetic upgrades.

I'll post a full write up after i have a chance to live with the car for a few weeks, but I do have a few initial impressions from my 80 mile drive back from the dealership:

1) The car has superb handling. It feels more nimble than my GT-R and inspires the same kind of confidence. To be frank, I was startled at how well the car handled. Better than any BMW, Mercedes or Audi I have owned or driven hands down. The handling felt much more on par with my GT-R with more tossability.

2) Can't comment too much on power because I was trying to build revs gradually and keep them under 5000 rpm. I know I'll add about 100 hp, but the car definitely felt responsive with very little turbo lag. The power delivery is not quite as instant or smooth as the GT-R, but I'll comment more on that when I have a chance to mash the throttle a bit more'

3) The dual clutch transmission felt great. On par with the GT-R's performance as far as I can tell, however I'm sure it isn't as robust as far as handling more power.

4) Build and materials quality of the interior and exterior fall far short of the GT-R, however I'm not complaining given how the car performs and the price tag. I can see why a Mercedes crowd might complain, but I was too tuned into the driving experience to notice. The all leather interior of the MR Touring does seem to give it a slightly more luxurious feel, but not so much as to make you forget that you are driving a car built with performance as the priority.

5) As the GT-R increases speed it feels like it is simply cutting through the wind with a razors edge. The high speed stability of the GT-R is unlike anything I have ever felt and I don't think the aerodynamic design of the Evo can match that. I'm sure a wing would help, but the aerodynamic focus of the GT-R design is hard to recreate.

I'm definitely happy I picked up the MR. Until the last minute I was wondering if I should go with the boring choice of another BMW or Audi, but by the time I got home I knew I had made the right choice. Just like the GT-R, the Evo MR made me feel like a kid again and really makes me want to drive. I have a feeling the MR will stay in my garage even when I do get another GT-R. I see it as the perfect sport sedan to compliment the GT-R. My kid definitely appreciates having his own door and window controls.

Last edited by Sleestack; Oct 8, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:14 PM

Change your sig to "Drives Evo MR"
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:51 PM

Congrats!
Old Oct 8, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Vootie
Change your sig to "Drives Evo MR"
I'm in denial... gimme a drink or two. No knock on the Evo MR, the GT-R was simply my perfect car.

Last edited by Sleestack; Oct 8, 2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions or resentments. I am sorry if I offended you in some way.

I bought my GT-R with cash 2 years ago and have been a member at NAGTROC since that time (under the same name). I could dip into family savings to help my friend, but I chose to sacrifice something that is primarily for my own pleasure since it is, after all, my best friend who has peroitoneal carcinomatosis. My friend is not insured. He has been getting state and federal assistance for the last three months, but certain medications related to problems ancillary to the primary disease, are not being covered. He is also no longer working so the bills are also piling up.

I recently sold my 550i (in the picture) because it wasn't being used and the Mercedes (also in the picture) is an Evosport tuned deathtrap with no back seat. Alas, I need a car I can drive every day that can also accomodate my son. The Lancer MR seemed to fit the bill.

In any case, the GT-R was delivered to the buyer tonight and I should be picking up the MR tomorrow or Friday.

I found your "wishing a cobalt on me" pretty funny.
I'm bipolar, now with wine in me i'm mellowed outgood luck with the MR I have the same car with a high flow cat and a drop in k &n, with a tune you will add 90 to the wheels. It sounds the same and if u need to take it to dealer it is a easy swap back to stock. Dont rate the car till its dyno tuned because it will not be the same car.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strocse
I'm bipolar, now with wine in me i'm mellowed outgood luck with the MR I have the same car with a high flow cat and a drop in k &n, with a tune you will add 90 to the wheels. It sounds the same and if u need to take it to dealer it is a easy swap back to stock. Dont rate the car till its dyno tuned because it will not be the same car.
No problem. I'm originally from NY and I just assume all NYers have a little bi-polar in them. I plan on doing a dyno tune at 2500miles. 90 hp to the wheels is just about what I'm shooting for. I think for daily driving that will be good enough, while not putting too much strain on the transmission.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

your review coming from a GTR makes me proud of owning an Evo... cheers
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Sleestack
OK. Picked up the 2010 Evo MR Touring this afternoon. I'm having the factory navigation installed next week and sending it to tint tomorrow. I'll post better pictures after I get the nav in next week.

I'm going to wait until 2500 miles to do a dyno tune. No totally sure what I want to do as far as interior/exterior aesthetic upgrades.

I'll post a full write up after i have a chance to live with the car for a few weeks, but I do have a few initial impressions from my 80 mile drive back from the dealership:

1) The car has superb handling. It feels more nimble than my GT-R and inspires the same kind of confidence. To be frank, I was startled at how well the car handled. Better than any BMW, Mercedes or Audi I have owned or driven hands down. The handling felt much more on par with my GT-R with more tossability.

2) Can't comment too much on power because I was trying to build revs gradually and keep them under 5000 rpm. I know I'll add about 100 hp, but the car definitely felt responsive with very little turbo lag. The power delivery is not quite as instant or smooth as the GT-R, but I'll comment more on that when I have a chance to mash the throttle a bit more'

3) The dual clutch transmission felt great. On par with the GT-R's performance as far as I can tell, however I'm sure it isn't as robust as far as handling more power.

4) Build and materials quality of the interior and exterior fall far short of the GT-R, however I'm not complaining given how the car performs and the price tag. I can see why a Mercedes crowd might complain, but I was too tuned into the driving experience to notice. The all leather interior of the MR Touring does seem to give it a slightly more luxurious feel, but not so much as to make you forget that you are driving a car built with performance as the priority.

5) As the GT-R increases speed it feels like it is simply cutting through the wind with a razors edge. The high speed stability of the GT-R is unlike anything I have ever felt and I don't think the aerodynamic design of the Evo can match that. I'm sure a wing would help, but the aerodynamic focus of the GT-R design is hard to recreate.

I'm definitely happy I picked up the MR. Until the last minute I was wondering if I should go with the boring choice of another BMW or Audi, but by the time I got home I knew I had made the right choice. Just like the GT-R, the Evo MR made me feel like a kid again and really makes me want to drive. I have a feeling the MR will stay in my garage even when I do get another GT-R. I see it as the perfect sport sedan to compliment the GT-R. My kid definitely appreciates having his own door and window controls.

Keep us updated on what you do... I recently picked up a GSR and am trying to get ideas of what to do with mine also.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DirtyCookieX
your review coming from a GTR makes me proud of owning an Evo... cheers

You should be proud, the Evo is a great enthusiast's car. I'll be honest. When I parted with my GT-R last night I was seriously depressed. Didn't sleep all night. I wasn't excited about car shopping today and really dreaded the thought of having to "deal" with whatever car I was going to get.

The Evo MR completely changed my mood. Even without opening it up, the handling made me feel right at home and gave me the smile the GT-R first gave me when I sent it down an on-ramp with reckless abandon. My talent (or lack thereof) isn't going to give me the kind of confidence the GT-R and MR give me.

The MR also reinforced what I already suspected. I value performance and the driving experience for more than Italian leather and sound-proof cabins. I'm so glad I didn't go the safe route and head back to one of Autobahn warriors.

I'll count the days until I get another GT-R, but at least now I'll do it with a smile on my face.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

yay~ touring package is really convenient~ Pretty much modeled off the 08 Canadian Evo Premium. The biggest difference you'll notice on the EVO from the GTR is that you can click the paddle twice and it will actually shift down or up 2 gears whereas the GTR will only do one gear at a time
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Congratulations on your new purchase! I am definitely happy to see that the Evo has some traits that the GTR has. Unlike the GTR, however, the Evo is meant to be moded, I was not really impressed with the lack luster straight-line performance when I first hopped into one, but once I did my basic bolt and a tune, it totally changed into a different car! One thing I will have to agree is that the Evo lacks a lot of top end speed, but living at where I live, I can't push it that far anyways. Good luck and have fun.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackygor
Congratulations on your new purchase! I am definitely happy to see that the Evo has some traits that the GTR has. Unlike the GTR, however, the Evo is meant to be moded, I was not really impressed with the lack luster straight-line performance when I first hopped into one, but once I did my basic bolt and a tune, it totally changed into a different car! One thing I will have to agree is that the Evo lacks a lot of top end speed, but living at where I live, I can't push it that far anyways. Good luck and have fun.
yeah, but once you're tuned you can get to about 170 or so I heard.

Quick Reply: From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?