Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have to take my hat off to you man! Selling yoru GTR to help a friend out iwht some medical bills is very noble of you. I would have a very hard time letting go on my 9 MR even if it wa a goo cause. SO A BIG TO YOU!

Glad to see you bought the X MR, you'll love it!

Last edited by LI Pinky; Oct 9, 2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations on your purchase. If you want to maintain the car in pristine condition, as I'd suggested before, please get 3M all over the front and around the wheel wells of the car. I cannot stress this enough. If not, expect to see quite a few paint chips after your first 2000 miles, especially since you do not have the aero kit side skirts, mud-flaps etc. For show-n-shine, this is a MUST.

From an aesthetics point of view, since you have white, you could always opt for a custom paint job or vinyl stickering of some sort. They tend to look great on WW in general.

As for your wing, Mitsu makes 2 wing sizes other than the lip. I think you'll like the standard wing on yours if having carbon is not an absolute must.

With regards to an interior after-market solution, its best if you research this a bit more in the Show-n-shine forum on this website. In all honesty, any opinion we give you is going to be subjective and may not necessarily help. Good luck
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CatalystGod
Congratulations on your purchase. If you want to maintain the car in pristine condition, as I'd suggested before, please get 3M all over the front and around the wheel wells of the car. I cannot stress this enough. If not, expect to see quite a few paint chips after your first 2000 miles, especially since you do not have the aero kit side skirts, mud-flaps etc. For show-n-shine, this is a MUST.

Was planning to do that today with tint. Do people usually get the mudflaps for this car?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Was planning to do that today with tint. Do people usually get the mudflaps for this car?
Yes it is highly recommended that you get some kind of paint protection for your X especially since you don't have the Aero Kit. People with the Aero Kit side skirts have had little problems with road debris since they stick out farther than the stockers. Of course you have the 2010 model and it looks like their design was changed a bit probably due to the paint issue. Those of us without Aero, myself included, have gone the mudflap and clear bra route. You can purchase OEM flaps from the dealer or from http://www.rallyarmor.com/ for considerably less. You can try these sites for the clear bra:
http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.ht...FdVL5QodnytqiQ
http://www.invisiblepatterns.com/
http://www.cleardefender.com/?gclid=...FcZM5Qod-lEMjQ
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

About the tune, since you are in NY, DG Motors might be close to you. If you live up-state, there's another shop there, but I do not remember their name.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

This guy needs a do-luck trunk asap:
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=6782
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by big block ix
This guy needs a do-luck trunk asap:
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com...il.php?ID=6782
man, they look great, I just cannot justify dropping 1,200.00 on just a trunk... it just makes no sense.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:05 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the the responses. Right on point.

Right now I am looking just at aesthetics. At 2500 miles I am going to do a dyno tune for about 100 hp, but I already have that lined up.

The only other thing I am considering is wheels. I'm not sure I want to mess with suspension, although the ride height could use on inch or two of lowering.
Suspension was the main reason I asked if it was all about aesthetics or if you were willing to do other things.

With that said, you could buy a set of lowering springs. Look at the Swift springs or the WORKS springs. Both are probably the best you can buy and have a nice drop without slamming the car. Both also ride very nicely. Just dropping it will help the look.

Other than that, it's all personal preference. There really aren't any "standard" must-do exterior or interior mods. Unlike the performance parts where you want a tune, exhaust, UICP, etc, etc.

Good luck putting your car together. Spend some time flipping through the forum. You'll get plenty of good ideas and will see plenty of bad ideas so you'll know to stay away from them

Last edited by atombomb33; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:14 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
About the tune, since you are in NY, DG Motors might be close to you. If you live up-state, there's another shop there, but I do not remember their name.
I live in up-state, if you can remember their name Catalyst please let me know. Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

I'd say

1) Get Rally Armor Mud Flaps
2) 3M Clear Bra the front
3) Get an Air Fuel Ratio Guage (and maybe a boost guage) - we have crap fuel pump relays in our cars
4) Get an AMS Widemouth O2 Dowpipe
5) Get a Cat Back
6) Get it Tuned
7) Fin - leave everything else stock.

The MR's suspension is already great - Bilstein dampers w/ Eibach springs.

Last edited by funks; Oct 9, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, the nice thing about the Evo is that the moment you get bored you can upgrade something. The selection for upgrades isn't perfect for the X's yet but it is getting better all the time.

I just got my car tuned (mandatory!) and with full bolt-ons I'm 90hp at the wheels over stock. Drop a couple grand on focused upgrades and I think you'll be entertained on the commute!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Props to the OP for making a tough sacrifice and doing the right thing.

I'm really curious to see your opinion of the MR once you have some basic bolt-ons and a tune. Keep us posted!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HudsonFalcon
I live in up-state, if you can remember their name Catalyst please let me know. Thanks.
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/ in rochester, NY.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:01 PM

Very noble of you OP..

Doesn't the 2010s come standard with the new sideskirts to prevent rock shipping?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the the responses. Right on point.

Right now I am looking just at aesthetics. At 2500 miles I am going to do a dyno tune for about 100 hp, but I already have that lined up.

The only other thing I am considering is wheels. I'm not sure I want to mess with suspension, although the ride height could use on inch or two of lowering.
Your best bet is probably a good set of lowering springs. If Swift makes as good of a spring for the X as they do for the VIII that I own, then that'd be a good bet. If you want to go with coilovers, the only Evo X I have gotten a ride in with COs was the white AMS Evo X, which had Endura Tech coilovers on it. The ride was actually very good, with an amazing amount of travel in the suspension. I think we hit the curb on every apex, and it soaked it up w/out complaint.

IMO any Evo X desparately needs wheels. It's actually one of the things that has deterred me from getting one. The stockers look soo undersized. Along with a bigger set of wheels, you'll also need to get a good set of tires to ensure that your handling stays at least on par with the stock setup.

Good to hear that you enjoy the car. You'll love it a lot more with a li'l extra power.

l8r)

Quick Reply: From my '09 GT-R to a 2010 Lancer MR Touring?