Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR vs. Manual C6 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stangar
I like the SST. Does the 3000 rpm at 70 mph get on your nerves in the Evo or is it just a 4 cyl thing and get over it? It sounded a little busy. The Corvette is quite relaxed (to say the least) at 70.
70 mph at 3000 rpm? In the X MR? I thought it was a 6 speed? I'm at like 2300 rpm at 70 in the STi in 6th... 80 is where I am at 3000.

Originally Posted by Noize
Lots of Evo guys in this thread are smoking the good stuff. Corvette all the way.

If you don't need four doors (and awd), there is no pro case for the MR in this instance. This isn't even a comparison, its a murder.
+1 (I added a little ) If it weren't for the weather here (because I certainly don't need 4 doors or all the storage space, as nice as is it is to have) I would've wound up in a 2006 C6 when I bought the Porsche. I'm not tempting fate by driving a Vette in the snow in a state that claims to have the greatest on Earth...
Old Oct 20, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

"Large and clunky feeling" doesn't equal driving excitement to me. If that is the feeling you get in the car, it doesn't matter what kind of performance numbers it offers.

On highway trips above 80 mph the engine does get noisy but below that it's no issue. I have a love/hate thing with the seats. Some days I can't get comfortable and others they are the greatest car seats ever made.

I'm 49 and DD a X GSR and could care less what my "vehicle age" is. Get the car that gives you that rush when you hit the twisties.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Lots of Evo guys in this thread are smoking the good stuff. Corvette all the way.

You can not make an MR the total package that a new C6 is with $6000, not even close. The Vette is nearly 300 pounds lighter, has 140HP more, and area under the curve the 4B11 cannot fathom. An LS3 Vette traps 115-116mph box stock and the handling is good. It might not feel as sharp or darty as an Evo due to the steering rack, but it can hold a lot more rubber under it and will crush an MR like a gnat on any racetrack, straight or with turns.

If you don't need four doors, there is no pro case for the MR in this instance. This isn't even a comparison, its a murder.
+1000 Impartially speaking there's no question here. If you don't need the sedan or 4wd, vette is the real deal
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
70 mph at 3000 rpm? In the X MR? I thought it was a 6 speed? I'm at like 2300 rpm at 70 in the STi in 6th... 80 is where I am at 3000.

+1 (I added a little ) If it weren't for the weather here (because I certainly don't need 4 doors or all the storage space, as nice as is it is to have) I would've wound up in a 2006 C6 when I bought the Porsche. I'm not tempting fate by driving a Vette in the snow in a state that claims to have the greatest on Earth...
PS how are you liking the STI? I have to be honest I LOVE the current gen STI.. just worried about the pistons/ring land issues.. lot of talk about it all around iwsti and nasioc.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

OP said it himself, he is 56 and everyone in his age bracket wants or has a corvette. My question is, why would you want to be like everyone else in your age bracket? Everyone has a corvette. Get something you hardly ever see, an EVO.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
PS how are you liking the STI? I have to be honest I LOVE the current gen STI.. just worried about the pistons/ring land issues.. lot of talk about it all around iwsti and nasioc.
I haven't heard any talk of any of that from any one I know with the car. I don't frequent iwsit or nasioc much either though. As far as everyone I've talked to has said only the early production 09 WRXs had any motor problems. You telling me this is news to me, haha. There's a pretty big group of 08/09 STi owners here too, surprised no one has ever mentioned it...

Regardless, in short, other than the fact that the Evo was paid off (miss being debt free lately) the STi is a dream. Everything about it is just right (for me), and the few things that aren't are easily modded.

I would still have had a C6 though... haha (honestly, and also to stay on topic). The Porsche had more room than I needed most of the time even, it's just the ******* snow and ice!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JDW1479
OP said it himself, he is 56 and everyone in his age bracket wants or has a corvette. My question is, why would you want to be like everyone else in your age bracket? Everyone has a corvette. Get something you hardly ever see, an EVO.
At that same token, who cares what everyone else is doing.. I'd stretch an get an E92 m3 if it were me though
Old Oct 20, 2009, 01:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
At that same token, who cares what everyone else is doing.. I'd stretch an get an E92 m3 if it were me though
Pssh, I would if I could! That's a big F'ing stretch!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

Get a used C6 Z06.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
The only thing the evo has over the vette is a rear seat and $6k cheaper. The vette wins every other category.

It's lighter, faster (turns and straights), better looking, I bet it's cheaper to insure, has a bigger trunk, probably has cheaper consumables, while harder to drive it's probably more fun an rewarding, I bet you'll fit a better profile in the eyes of the law so you'll be able to get away with more of the tit for tat stuff.

If it were me, I'd go with the vette.

Actually, the Corvette is considerably cheaper for me to insure. Older guys drive Corvettes (and not very fast) and don't have accidents.

Young guys drive Evo's and have accidents.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:11 PM

Corvette FTW!!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the Corvette is considerably cheaper for me to insure. Older guys drive Corvettes (and not very fast) and don't have accidents.

Young guys drive Evo's and have accidents.
i'm a 31 year old male with an Evo X and I pay 75.00 a month. Then again I have no accidents and no points. A lot of guys pay more than me, but if you are willing to spend 6,000.00 more, I wouldn't let the little bit in insurance sway me either, and since you are 56, I can't imagine how much more it would really be.

Either way i'm against basically everyone when it comes to a Corvette. I don't like chevy's and never really have. I would never own one because I feel the Japanese, like everything else... make better cars. The Vette's have been around forever though and i'm sure their quality is decent. Not like the Evo's cheap interior reaks of class either, but it's a fun car that can be enjoyed in any kind of weather and in any situation. It has great safety features and holds it's own against much more expensive cars which is why in just about every article it is raved about.

I did a little bit of looking for some numbers on the C6 and from what I see it's showing low 12's which is obviously impressive, the SST has had some problems holding a lot of torque from what I have read on here so if it's just speed and power you want then go for the Vette. To me, i'd rather be the guy in the little sedan hardly anyone knows anything about, with some mods that keep up with or pull ahead of a car like the Vette, but some guys just want something they don't have to do any work to.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by c_reber
Go for the Evo, and spend the 6k you would have spent on the vette on mods for the evo. Then the performance (straight line) will be more even. That should def put the evo around 400-450 Crank HP.

If you were to get the vette, would you get the auto or manual? And what year C6? Are you thinking of New vs. New? the '08's had a few improvements.

Edit, I just saw you are looking for manual C6...
Cam, Intake, Exhaust, Tune in a C6 gets you 500+whp.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I used to own an 06 MR and didn't like the shifting (so often). The Evo MR X would be the Evo of for me due to the SST trans and I do a lot of highway driving.
Then why would you buy a manual transmission c6?

I'm not a fan of the MR just because of the problems associated with increasing the torque of the car.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Then why would you buy a manual transmission c6?

I'm not a fan of the MR just because of the problems associated with increasing the torque of the car.
Not sure if this is his thinking, but shifting a C6 around town is a hell of a lot easier than shifting an Evo around town. Lot less shifting with a V8. Driving my LS1 powered Z28 around town is a joke.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR vs. Manual C6 Corvette?