Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR vs. Manual C6 Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR vs. Manual C6 Corvette?

Kick me in the groin maybe I'll think of something.

I've test driven the Evo X MR now on three separate occassions and also the C6 Corvette the same amount.

Why do I keep coming back to the Evo other than it is fun to drive?

The Corvette has a large, clunky feeling. The Corvette is much faster (they say) but it really doesn't have the excitement factor. The C6 is probably a better highway car. The C6 would be about 6,000 more than the Evo.

I'm bad about buying and buyers remorse and I'm trying to prevent a purchase I would regret.

The little secret is I'm 56 years old and everyone in my age group wants a Corvette, not an Evo. Kick, me again. I can't decide.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Try a manual transmission Evo X.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I think it would be cool to be 56 and have an evo, but your right the corvette seems to fit that stereotype quite well.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. I guess it depends on your style of driving. Do you plan on atuocrossing at all? If so I would 100% go with the evo. I have seen a lot of corvettes out at the track, but the evo just looks so much more composed and exciting!

If you plan on doing a lot of highway driving I would steer clean of the X GSR, and maybe even the evo entirely.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Yea but the ratios are so close it will suck if he does a lot of highway driving. Just depends I guess.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141

I used to own an 06 MR and didn't like the shifting (so often). The Evo MR X would be the Evo of for me due to the SST trans and I do a lot of highway driving.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Go for the Evo, and spend the 6k you would have spent on the vette on mods for the evo. Then the performance (straight line) will be more even. That should def put the evo around 400-450 Crank HP.

If you were to get the vette, would you get the auto or manual? And what year C6? Are you thinking of New vs. New? the '08's had a few improvements.

Edit, I just saw you are looking for manual C6...
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

My dad has a c6 2006 vette, I like the car, but the problem is it only sits 2 people. But my dad's vette gets better gas mileage than mine. I only get 20 mi/gal. If I can I want to get a vette but only z06.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:04 PM

I say MR...but I may be biased as I just picked up a X MR.

I came from a STI and don't regret my decision one bit. The TC-SST trans rocks! I do quite a bit of highway each way to work and its pretty relaxing not shifting so often. I thought I would miss the manual trans but the TC-SST is the best of both worlds. I can be lazy if I want (auto mode) or be aggressive with my shifts (manual mode)
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by c_reber
Go for the Evo, and spend the 6k you would have spent on the vette on mods for the evo. Then the performance (straight line) will be more even. That should def put the evo around 400-450 Crank HP.

If you were to get the vette, would you get the auto or manual? And what year C6? Are you thinking of New vs. New? the '08's had a few improvements.

Edit, I just saw you are looking for manual C6...
Yeah, the new 2010 C6 Manual is within $6000 of a new MR once they are both discounted. The 2010 Evo MR X for 35,700 vs the 2010 C6 for just above 42,000 (maybe less on a stripped one) before tax, license, etc. I wouldn't consider the "automatic trans" Corvette but I don't want to shift the Evo (been there, done that).

I like the SST. Does the 3000 rpm at 70 mph get on your nerves in the Evo or is it just a 4 cyl thing and get over it? It sounded a little busy. The Corvette is quite relaxed (to say the least) at 70.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

I say Evo (a bit biased here aswell)

Not only is it a bit more comfortable, but being 56 years old and driving one kicks a**! Totally original, ditch the vette idea.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:28 PM

If you have another car, then I'd say Vette over Evo. Or a used Z06 would be even better.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:45 PM
Evolving Member

X mr and then just get a tune

you'll be happy with that
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

I think you need to consider what you want the car to do.

I am 41 so here are my two cents.

My first thought is where do you live? OOPS, Cali boy......

If you live in the South, then the Vette may be better.

If you live in the North and want to have fun all year, the X is a no brainer.

If it is a car just for you for fun only, I would probably get the Vette.

If you are going to be using the car for errands and people, then the X is a no brainer.

The Recaros are a little tougher to get in and out of the X, IMO, compared to the Vette.

I think the X looks good, but it is no Vette.....two way different cars. I would not get an MR either. I would get a GSR, I think you will have more fun.

I have a 72 Skylark and 72 Vette, and I actually look forward to getting in my X every day. I can't wait for spring, that is when I am going to do some mods.

Also, I get a lot a attention from younger people in the X (checking it out), until they see the old gray guy driving, then it kind of throws them off. I love that!!

My older cars draw the older crowd, and my guess would be that the new Vette would also. Not that you buy a car for attention, but hey , with a huge wing on the rear deck, you do kind of stick out in an X compared to the Vette. I see you had an 06 MR, so you already know that.

Why did you sell the MR so soon?

Last edited by dboz; Oct 19, 2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tough choice!! Can't really say which I would pick it really needs to be your decision.

I bought a Z06 and wouldn't trade back for the world, but I do miss my EVO and would buy another. Just not give up the Z06 for one.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
50 is the new 30, evo would be different. Vette is going to be more comfy inside though, my evo is really rough especially after my coilovers but the seats aren't built for long trips.

Quick Reply: Evo X MR vs. Manual C6 Corvette?