Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Another cracked windshield!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another cracked windshield!

i was driving down the freeway and suddenly from no where a rock hit the windshied at first i didnt see any cracks but 2min later it formed a 2inch crack!
how can i fix this?
thanks
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Call your insurance company. Typically, as long as the crack is smaller than the size of a dollar bill it can be filled and will nearly disappear. I would do it sooner than later or the crack will get bigger.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah tomorrow i will do this thanks smikeevo
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:00 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Call your insurance company. Typically, as long as the crack is smaller than the size of a dollar bill it can be filled and will nearly disappear. I would do it sooner than later or the crack will get bigger.
Yeah this happened to me & my insurence fixed mine for me..what did mitsu do when they made these windshields make them one layer thick??
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

I used to work in a glass shop. Repairing cracks and chips is pretty much luck of the draw. Especially in regards to cracks. They will probably tell you that there is no guarantee that it will be fixed just so you know.

Its best to get a chip repaired asap before it turns into a crack. I know its a little late for you though. In the future you can get some stickers (some are transparent, some are white) that are about the size of a dime or so. If you throw one of those suckers on the chip as soon as it happens it may save you more damage. They usually give out for free at the glass shop; the place I worked out had 6 on the backside of their business cards.

If it is not fixed soon or can't be then your option in windshield replacement. Shop around like anything else as the cost can vary immensely. You'll be looking at cost of glass, mold for W\S and labor. Make sure to take it on the Highway after the glass sets (they use urethane to mount) and test for leaks. Don't slam your doors and keep your windows cracked open a little for a day or so (as long as its not moist/humid outside).

As your in california I am not sure how much this matters but in the north where it snows they best time of year to get your W\S replaced is in Fall. This is because there is less chance of debris such as rocks/gravel/stones hitting your glass in the winter. Spring is usually the worst hear from the sand and such on the roads after winter.

I just had my W\S replaced for $370 CDN. Other places were asking up to $670. I live in an expensive area though due to labour shortages and high customer demand.

Also I think the glass in these windshield is as strong as any other modern car, I got pelted with all kinds of stones and garbage where I live in an industrial area every day for over a year and it held up. Not until a semi thogh a huge stone from a road being resurfaced did mine crack. Shortly after I also developed a crack from the middle upper portion in front of the rearview mirror like a lot of people had though. This was in addition to the aforementioned crack. I think that might have to do with body flex, just a guess.

Also if you don't want your premiums to go up, or waste an insurance claim just for glass then get your glass insured separately; either through a sub-contractor of the ins. company or through an entirely different company. Then you can have it covered and get it replaced once a year for like $50+yearly fee and not have it affect your regular insurance. When I called my INS. Co. about glass they told me this. I had it on my other car its been great.

Last edited by solipsism; Oct 25, 2009 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

to bad all states are not like florida
we have no deductable and pay 0 for glass replacement
you can have a ws replaced every week and the insurance co can not change your rates or drop you for it part of floridas law
i have prob had 10 or 12 ws replaced in the last 5 years
Old Oct 25, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I had a TINY rock chip completely ruin my stock windshield. Ended up cracking all the way from the bottom to the center of the windshield overnight. Didn't even see the chip as it was under the wiper blade.

I replaced it with an aftermarket windshield which was significantly thicker. I doubt I'll have the same problem again... it's ridiculous that a tiny chip would have completely ruined the stock windshield like that.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

i have a crack up my X about 16"s and the splits off like a Y with about 6" cracks on each side....285$ for a windshield here...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:30 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had to have mine replaced. $260 to get it done.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 11:15 AM

same thing happened to me last week
Old Nov 2, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

I just got pelted really bad the other day from those damn construction vehicles on the highway, but luckily no cracks or chips...

I used to have some w/s replacement option in my old insurance policy that got me a brand new one including labor for less than $100. These guys in a big *** van came to my house to fix my previous subaru and finished the job in about 20 minutes.

If you guys get it replaced, make sure they don't stick your rear-view mirror upside down! Happened to me once and it was probably one of the most annoying things to deal with... at least for my old subie.