Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Question regarding what insurance companies will cover

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question regarding what insurance companies will cover

So just got near hit by an aggressive/negligent driver. Forced me to swerve and epically ruin 2 of my stock BBS wheels. (Really scratched up, no pics, sorry)

I was wondering, I have State Farm insurance, full body coverage. Will they replace those rims with another 2 BBS wheels? Or replace them with some generic standard ones?

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:25 PM

ouch sorry, i think you will have to use comprehensive and pay the deductable! may be better off get replacement out of pocket instead of insurance claim!

sorry
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

I agree you may be better off going out of pocket for some aftermarket wheels rather than paying the deductible and getting a rate hike.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:52 PM

Those MR BBS wheels are pretty expensive to replace yourself. Even from Mitsubishiparts.net, they're like $800-900 each. You'll probably be able to find them cheaper from a private party, but not many people sell just 2 rims.

Maybe you could just get them repaired? The MR BBS rims are forged though, so they're a bit harder to repair than just alloy rims (and will cost more to repair).

Otherwise, yes, it should be covered under your Comprehensive portion of insurance, but it could result in a rate hike, and depending on your deductible, it might not be worth it.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 02:43 AM
Evolved Member

I'd take that as a sign from above to buy aftermarket rims
Old Nov 1, 2009, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the replies guys! I think i'm going to first call the insurance company and see what they can do.

And it's funny cause I actually have been wanting a set of black Rota Grids lol. I'll get them if the shop wont re-order the BBS wheels
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a note, simply notifying the insurance company that you've been in an accident can affect your rate. Even if you end up paying out of pocket, they can still increase your premiums. That's why you should never "call the insurance company and see what they can do."

Either have them pay, or don't even tell them it happened.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
As a note, simply notifying the insurance company that you've been in an accident can affect your rate. Even if you end up paying out of pocket, they can still increase your premiums. That's why you should never "call the insurance company and see what they can do."

Either have them pay, or don't even tell them it happened.
One of the many reasons car insurance is a major scam.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 08:48 AM

I to had this happen, I reported an accident but then went out of pocket and got screwed. Insurance company called it a 50/50 accident on my record. Remember this as well the insurance company will ALWAYS find a way to get back there money.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

if someone else hit you, and it is their fault, their insurance will cover it...
Old Nov 1, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

but no one hit the guy. he had to swerve out of the way and then damaged his BBS rims which changes the liability and puts the incident into a different category.

sorry to hear that man. good luck on the rims.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:09 PM

Unfortunate as it is, you should just pay out of pocket. The $500 (or whatever your deductible is) you wlll pay will cost you dearly moving forward.

I also second those that say not to even bother calling the insurance company.

Think of insurance as catastrophy coverage. 2 wheel ain't a catastrophic problem so you should pay out of pocket.

It is also your word about the other driver. The insurance company is going to think "yeah right, the hot dogger curbed his rims showing off for some girlie in a parking lot."
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
As a note, simply notifying the insurance company that you've been in an accident can affect your rate. ."

Not so for every state. Insurance is regulated on the state level, so check your state's insurance code to know what is allowed in your state. This type of practice is illegal in CA.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
if you messed up your wheels that bad, I bet other stuff is messed up (alignment at the very least)...
Old Nov 2, 2009, 03:20 PM

So I actually did talk to the insurance company despite those against it. I had a police case # and everything so hopefully that demonstrates my innocence.

Here's more info to the actual incident to help clarify some things and make it more interesting to read. He was a reckless driver who did in fact not hit me, rather, he forced me to the side of the road. His car however sped away and hit a curb, FLIPPED over 3 times and landed upside down. Upon landing, witnesses (neighbors nearby) saw him flee the vehicle. Cops came and set a perimeter to try to find the suspect but he wasn't there. Maybe he was drunk, maybe he stole the car, who knows!

Regardless, since no contact was made, the cops told me I was just a witness

Anyway, I too think the alignment is probably messed up. There's also a loud grinding noise when driving, as if metal is touching the pavement but there are no loose parts.

BTW my deductible is actually only $100, so that's pretty good