Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X acceleration ? for previous EVO owners

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X acceleration ? for previous EVO owners

Hello,

I am a previous owner of 04 EVO VIII, 05 EVO VIII RS, and 06 EVO IX SE and loved all of them. I have searched the forums up and down trying to find some good comparison's of the EVO X's powerband in comparison to the previous EVO's. Now I read that the 2010 EVO X is quicker then the 2008 and I know they handle better then previous EVO's but I would like a stock to stock comparison of what to expect in from the acceleration and powerband coming from the 4G63? Previous EVO's had lightening fast acceleration that would put your stumach to your chest. I would hope the X would compare but I just cant find the answer and am considering in X in the future. Any help is appreciated

Thank you
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

The difference is so small that you would not be able to notice it at all. Maybe .1 second slower in 0-60mph.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

I kind of figured the IX would feel quicker being its lighter but is it by a large margin or does it barely feel quicker? Does the EVO X still throw you back in the seat and pull hard to redline?

Last edited by Noize; Nov 3, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Because of the weight, the X is a little bit slower, but it still has plenty of power. It is a lot smoother than the old powerband, so it doesn't kick your stomach as much though. And it definitely handles better. It is an improved model for sure, and overall it is much better than the VIII and the IX, even if it accelerates a tad bit slower. Plus, all that aside, what they seem to gain from tunes should more than make that up.

When I drove the X it didn't throw me back in the seat... but that isn't a bad thing... Means it has a wider range of power/torque. Rather than being slow and then having a punch to the face of power. As I recall it pulled plenty hard to redline.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Because of the weight, the X is a little bit slower, but it still has plenty of power. It is a lot smoother than the old powerband, so it doesn't kick your stomach as much though. And it definitely handles better. It is an improved model for sure, and overall it is much better than the VIII and the IX, even if it accelerates a tad bit slower. Plus, all that aside, what they seem to gain from tunes should more than make that up.

When I drove the X it didn't throw me back in the seat... but that isn't a bad thing... Means it has a wider range of power/torque. Rather than being slow and then having a punch to the face of power. As I recall it pulled plenty hard to redline.
I know the X has more creature conforts but is it still somewhat RAW like the previous models? Also I am understanding it has less Turbo Lag right? Did the top end suffer at?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 02:51 PM

Just go drive one. Worth much more than the opinion of a few random board members.

I know if I could walk into a dealer and try out a 9 or 8, I would.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ibognar
Just go drive one. Worth much more than the opinion of a few random board members.

I know if I could walk into a dealer and try out a 9 or 8, I would.
I just really hope the car impresses me as much as the others did.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stock to stock they are very similar, although I ran a 13.1 in the Evo 8 stock and could only manage a 13.6 in the Evo X. The Evo 8 with bolt on's was mid 12's at 112 and the Evo X with bolt on's was mid 12's, only difference was I added a front mount IC to the X and that evened out the weight penalty making them very similar speeds.

The car is definitely smoother in the power band compared to the 4G63, and while the turbo falls on it's face past 5500 rpm's, the engine still pulls very well considering it's tapering from 25 psi down to 20 psi at redline. Since upgrading to a larger turbo I'm now hitting 119 mph trap speeds while running out of 4th gear and on the highway it's pretty brutal acceleration. My main complaint is 5th gear is a bit tall for a power gear and 4th only gets to 118 mph without going over 8000 rpm. I think this car would actually be better off with a taller final drive so that 4th reached 130 mph.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
Account Disabled

i feel like the evo 9 felt alot faster and is a more kick in the face than the evox. the evo9 is alot rougher than the evox.. the evox is alot more smoother tho.. if u want power and that hard feeling i'd keep the 9.. if u want the handling get the evox
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

^nice summary
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brijen123
I kind of figured the IX would feel quicker being its lighter but is it by a large margin or does it barely feel quicker? Does the EVO X still throw you back in the seat and pull hard to redline?
The EVO X puts you back in the seat but not like the IX. The EVO X has more of a linear powerband, it doesn't just hit you out of nowhere like the IX does.

The X pretty much falls on it's face past 5,500 rpms. Granted it still pulls to redline, but you can feel the power fall off. Nothing a simple tune can't fix. My buddy's X is all stock plus a Sean Ivey tune. It's a completely different car then mine. A tune alone did wonders.

Being that the EVO is my DD, I prefer the creature comforts of the X and the handling IMO is better.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
i feel like the evo 9 felt alot faster and is a more kick in the face than the evox. the evo9 is alot rougher than the evox.. the evox is alot more smoother tho.. if u want power and that hard feeling i'd keep the 9.. if u want the handling get the evox
Thanks for all the great info although I have to admit this particular comment lets me down about the EVO X. I dont like buying used cars so my only choice at this point would be buying an X but now I regret ever selling my EVO IX.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

When looking at the specs on the EVO X it gets its peak HP of 291 at 6,500 rpm's so would it pull to this point then start tapering? Maybe I will wait and see what they do in 2011, I am predicting a HP/TQ increase, at least I hope :-)
Old Nov 3, 2009, 04:11 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
On the dyno stock vs stock, my X was higher than my IX everywhere in power. Especially from 6k to the limiter where the IX has the weird falloff in the Mivec.

But the weight offset the difference, and my IX felt faster stock.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
On the dyno stock vs stock, my X was higher than my IX everywhere in power. Especially from 6k to the limiter where the IX has the weird falloff in the Mivec.

But the weight offset the difference, and my IX felt faster stock.
Well thats nice to know, I felt that my Evo IX pulled pretty good up top for a turbo car.

Quick Reply: EVO X acceleration ? for previous EVO owners