Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Really, which is quicker?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by userwave
stock for stock, the MR is faster under every situation
the #'s don't lie
0-60
1/4 mile
slalom
tracktime etc
yeah don't be an MR fanboy lol

the slalom for the MR is .96 while the GSR does a whooping .99g
the MR can't match that lol

and last time I remember the MR (2008) had a best 0-60 time of 5.0 while the GSR did 4.7 with a sick clutch-dump that you wouldn't be able to achieve on an MR without breaking the TC-SST in twenty pieces
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would the MR be quicker on a road course? It's not as if the speed of the shift is as important as when running in a straight line.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Why would the MR be quicker on a road course? It's not as if the speed of the shift is as important as when running in a straight line.
Most of the time because the poor shifting. An average driver will be always faster in the MR vs GSR in stock form.
Of course this is my opinion only.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Most of the time because the poor shifting. An average driver will be always faster in the MR vs GSR in stock form.
Of course this is my opinion only.
and a very accurate opinion if you ask me
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

In a issue of Dsport the MR won over the GSR. It had a faster 0-60 time and a faster 1/4. Unsure if they used te MRs launch control though. You can't beat a computer shifting. Basically the only thing the GSR is better at is it can handle more power. Plus alot of top speed videos I've seen with the GSR hit the rev limiter bc there are only 5 gears, which in my eyes makes the MR have a greater top speed since you have 6 gears. Just my opinion. If I didn't have a shattered left knee from years back I would of got a GSR and do made HP increases
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

The MR could have been made a little more competition oriented, these arguments might make sense, but the MR is:
1) heavier
2) puts about 10whp less to the ground with the SST
3) comes with softer struts

so you can't really compare it well. Also depends on if the road course is longer or curvy. I'd like the SST in theory, but in execution and price difference, I can't be a fan of it.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Not to hate on the MR's but it's an automatic rice mobayle lol. I think GSR is and will be more fun to drive. ( not in traffic though!)
Old Nov 10, 2009, 08:30 AM
Account Disabled

I love my MR. Saying this I would have much rather had a 6-speed manual. Being in college and knowing I would only have the car til I graduate in a year I went with the MR because of the interior. I wish I could have a manual because not knowing the limits of the SST is kinda scary if you ask me. But on the other side after using the paddles it gets addicting!!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We all might not agree with each other on the topic of MR vs GSR but we all can agree that a STi is faster in a straight line.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by j///M
It all has to do with clutch slippage and launch RPMs. The MR would likely take the cake if it was a race from a roll (insert "we don't race AWD cars from a roll" comments here).. The MR shifts incredibly quickly but has a high self-preservation instinct when it comes to drag race style launches. (insert "The Evo is/isn't a drag car" comments here)
Ninja edit: 69th post.
I agree, as do most people that have reviewed the MR and GSR and compared the two. Even with launch control, the MR will not let you get into the red to launch the car without some time of modification because the transmission overheats....in my experience anyway. It all shuts down to protect itself. With the GSR it's a manual so you can launch as hard as you want.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A GSR doesn't tell the driver to slow down and then gimp itself in the foot.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

When I first got the GSR about 1 1/2 years ago a friend had the new MR and there was no way he was able to beat the GSR stock for stock from a dig. From a second gear roll wasn't much better for him. Just my experience. Although this topic is covered more than enough on these boards.

I'm probably 3/10 for manual driving skills. Maybe 5/10 if compared to a average person who drives stick. I don't drop the clutch, I feather it.

The reasons I sometimes wish I had the MR are strictly highway driving for the 6th gear due to noise and milage.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by solipsism
The reasons I sometimes wish I had the MR are strictly highway driving for the 6th gear due to noise and milage.
+1 I simply cannot imagine driving a GSR instead of my MR in my 2 hour heavy-traffic daily work commutes.

That being said however, I also agree that if you want a 'faster' car in terms of more mods, drag racing & horses, get a GSR hands down.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

This shows how the SST cannot do what a manual car can.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPB4aSyq40
Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike100
I'd like the SST in theory, but in execution and price difference, I can't be a fan of it.
It's widely regarded as the best twin clutch transmission available on any car in the world. Hard to argue with the execution unless you are referring to the limp mode which is more a fault of adding aftermarket power than the transmission itself.

Quick Reply: Really, which is quicker?