Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Really, which is quicker?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
It's widely regarded as the best twin clutch transmission available on any car in the world. Hard to argue with the execution unless you are referring to the limp mode which is more a fault of adding aftermarket power than the transmission itself.
I'm talking about the whole car...the software for the SST is real good, maybe the best out, but the car is too heavy , the engine is too small, suspension too soft on the MR model. now maybe if the MR SST had a 2.6l twin turbo 6 cylinder, then it would be the thing to have. It is a poor integration, but a great transmission.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

It depends of the driver. Both are amazing in the right hands.
Avoid gsr if you drive daily in heavy traffic for more than 45 minutes.
Avoid the Automatic if you love to rev high, match rev to down shift fast, double clutch etc.
Maybe you can have fun with the shift paddles somehow,
I drove a lancer GTS with shift paddles for a week and it wasn't fun at all. the paddles doesn't turn with the steering wheel so if you want to down shift entering the right corner you have to let go the wheel to grab the paddle, I know I would get use to, but it wasn't right for me. What is the point of the paddles if you have to let go the steering wheel?
I think you can also upgrade the shift paddles for one like the WRC ones. Carbon fiber huge paddles wrapping around almost the whole steering wheel so you can change gears in any circumstance.

I have heard in the streets a lot of guys saying that I drive the truly EVO, they call the AT evo the "fake evo", of course, mostly are kids and I don't want to spend my time explaining that both are extremely good cars. But if you have a lot of friends in the street be aware of this situation if you don’t want to feel bad.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by alex3dworld
I drove a lancer GTS with shift paddles for a week and it wasn't fun at all. the paddles doesn't turn with the steering wheel so if you want to down shift entering the right corner you have to let go the wheel to grab the paddle, I know I would get use to, but it wasn't right for me. What is the point of the paddles if you have to let go the steering wheel?
I drove cars with paddles that moved with the wheel before I had my MR. They are completely useless. If you get confused by paddles that are stationary, try using them when they are upside down and on the opposite side of the wheel because you're in a sharp turn. At least when they are stationary you know where they are at all times. All it takes is loosening your grip with one hand to shift and turning with the other.

Yes, the paddles can be fun. I once came out of a toll booth with an MX5 right next to me in the adjacent lane (yeah I know, no contest). I wasn't going to gun it, but the MX5 was getting a bit out of hand and I couldn't let him make me look bad. This was before I got my FastLane transponder moved to the Evo so I had to use cash. Long story short: I thrashed* the Mazda while putting my wallet back into my pocket with my left hand and just my right on the wheel, tapping the paddle. Put a big grin on my face . You might be able to do this with a manual, but you'd be taking your own life into your hands (literally).

Coming from 2 previous 5-speed manuals, my brain still misses the shifting a bit, but I think that now I would miss the SST just as much if I were to go back to manual.

*(accelerated comfortably to a reasonable highway speed)

Last edited by kcandiloro; Nov 10, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

I drove a lancer GTS with shift paddles for a week and it wasn't fun at all.
So you think a CVT Lancer GTS with Paddles is the same as either a Ralliart TC-SST + Paddles or an Evo MR TC-SST + Paddles?

no man, you drove the wrong car... go back to the dealer and get a real paddle shifter; not a GTS... if that's what you're using to compare a Paddle Shifter vs a Manual then you drove the wrong car...
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jazket
So you think a CVT Lancer GTS with Paddles is the same as either a Ralliart TC-SST + Paddles or an Evo MR TC-SST + Paddles?

no man, you drove the wrong car... go back to the dealer and get a real paddle shifter; not a GTS... if that's what you're using to compare a Paddle Shifter vs a Manual then you drove the wrong car...
Doesn't matter if it's GTS or MR. the feel is still the same.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

I prefer the paddles fixed to the column, as it is in the MR and as it was in my GT-R. Personally, I think it promotes proper driving technique.

Some people are always going to prefer a true manual transmission. I'm not one of them, but I certainly do understand why some people love controlling a process that a computer can do better, simply for the visceral experience.

There's no reason a dual-clutch transmission can't be beefed up to handle more power. Guys are getting huge, reliable power on GT-Rs now with upgraded clutches and it seems Evo X parts are becoming available.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:37 PM

The MR has a softer suspension setup and I could be wrong but I think it weighs slightly more than the GSR does and also won't launch as hard. So, with that said you can very easily make the MR just as fast as the GSR with very few adjustments. The launching part on the other hand is a different story, but from what I've heard there are a few good shops willing to open up that tranny and make some modifications to it for better accl.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

I realize the paddles issue is largely one of personal preferance, but having driven several cars that have them (the most notable being Ferrari F430 and Nissan GT-R).. I would say fixed paddles make infinitely more sense. It's best to steer by the "shuffle" method in which you feed the steering wheel through your hands so that they are always positioned at 10 and 2, regardless of the actual steering wheel angle. In this manner, the fixed/column-mounted paddles are also always, literally, "at your fingertips". Just my two cents.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
It depends. A GSR will be faster in a straight line than a 2008 MR but possibly in a dead heat or slightly slower than a 2010 MR judging by initial numbers of the 2010 MR by a couple of magazines. Around a twisting road course the MR in SS mode will always be faster stock.

Jalopnik .com got those numbers from a owner provided 2010 Lancer Evolution MR Touring. Looks like (as mentioned by Road and Track in their review) that the ECU remapping seems to have helped (understatement).

Road and Track also got the MR T as hitting 0-60 in 4.6 seconds.

Another reason why I am so happy with my MR Touring.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

It depends of the driver. Both are amazing in the right hands.
Avoid gsr if you drive daily in heavy traffic for more than 45 minutes.
Avoid the Automatic if you love to rev high, match rev to down shift fast, double clutch etc.
I think you can also upgrade the shift paddles for one like the WRC ones. Carbon fiber huge paddles wrapping around almost the whole steering wheel so you can change gears in any circumstance.
Don't really think you can call the SST an "automatic", lots of different things between the 2 of them.
Also, the SST will rev match on downshifts.
Yeah the GTS tranny system is not an SST, its a CVT (might be wrong here). I will say I am having a hard time learning to cope with the paddles when the steering wheel is at an odd angle.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

To answer the original question - which one is quicker off the line and why -- I would have to say the GSR because you can do a better clutch dump.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Nov 11, 2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

GSR would be faster to 1/4
however, in a track
if u are a professional driver, the gsr would be faster
but if u are an amateur driver, the MR would be faster
Old Nov 11, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

MR wins it on the road course. GSR takes it on the 1/4 mile.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 11:33 AM

The paddles are fine. If you have trouble using the paddles when turning the wheel, you can always shift with the regular shifter too by pushing it up and down.

If I'm going in a straight line, I use the paddles to shift; if I'm turning, I usually use the shifter knob. If I'm on autocross or a track, I just leave it in S-Sport auto mode and focus on my line and braking. For that reason, the MR is easier/faster on a course, especially a very technical one.
Old Nov 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by skyblas
GSR would be faster to 1/4
however, in a track
if u are a professional driver, the gsr would be faster
but if u are an amateur driver, the MR would be faster
nope: Road and track, and motor trend when using the EVO in comparisons on track all use the MR as it is faster around a track than a GSR. It just is. In fact in Super sport mode, the fastest times come from leaving it in drive rather than manual.

Same reason the GTR is successful: dual clutch is engineered to perform. in the TC-SST, it shifts faster than a human can, and with the re-mapping apparently done on the 2010, it is improved.

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I prefer the paddles fixed to the column, as it is in the MR and as it was in my GT-R. Personally, I think it promotes proper driving technique.

Some people are always going to prefer a true manual transmission. I'm not one of them, but I certainly do understand why some people love controlling a process that a computer can do better, simply for the visceral experience.

There's no reason a dual-clutch transmission can't be beefed up to handle more power. Guys are getting huge, reliable power on GT-Rs now with upgraded clutches and it seems Evo X parts are becoming available.
True.

SSP has a clutch upgrade available for the TC-SST, and just as the GTR; the technology and engineering behind the dual clutch is legit.

Most would understand and agree that the MR is faster on a track; but with the recent 0-60 numbers on the MR Touring, I wonder if the GSR and MR are now equal for those all about the 0-60, and for track the advantage goes to the "Mitsubishi Racing" Evolution.

Last edited by Boston_eagle; Nov 11, 2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Really, which is quicker?