Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Really, which is quicker?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by murlo26
Did you look at the build AMS did? I assure you cost was not a factor at all, there is probably 200k of labor/parts into that car.

If they really thought the SST was a big advantage they would've taken the time to develop something for it.

Mitsubishi tries to make it seem like the MR is a better performer to help justify the big jump in price from the GSR to help with sales. And in turn the magazines have bought into the hype from the manufacturer and that's why everyone tests the MR, because it is supposed to be better.

I mean it costs more, it has to be better right
So true...so true.

Which model can you get the most power from after modding (due to limitations of the SST)...the GSR

Which model weighs less...the GSR

Which model is more fun to drive...the GSR

Which model is easier to drive in rush hour traffic or on a long trip...the MR
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
So true...so true.

Which model can you get the most power from after modding (due to limitations of the SST)...the GSR

Power limitations of the SST only exist because their aren't enough of them out there for most companies to justify dumping a bunch of money into R&D... yet. SSP was able to do great things for the GT-R transmission and I see no reason why the same can't be done to the SST. As far as fun to drive, some people have fun rowing gears, others don't. Never bothered me in my GT-R. I definitely bought my MR for the street and am very happy with the performance of my MR Touring... the AST supsension and Works tune certainly help.

Last edited by Sleestack; Nov 25, 2009 at 03:08 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack

Power limitations of the SST only exist because their aren't enough of them out there for most companies to justify dumping a bunch of money into R&D... yet. SSP was able to do great things for the GT-R transmission and I see no reason why the same can't be done to the SST. As far as fun to drive, some people have fun rowing gears, others don't. Never bothered me in my GT-R. I definitely bought my MR for the street and am very happy with the performance of my MR Touring... the AST supsension and Works tune certainly help.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no MR hater, it's an Evo for crying out loud.

But IMO to pay $6000 more for the model that does not have a 5 spd, weighs more, and would cost way more to mod to the power levels of the manual version...well lets just say that the MR is just not my cup of tea.

If I only drove in heavy traffic or took many long trips, I didn't know how to drive a standard, or was missing a left leg or right arm...I would get the MR.

Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm no MR hater, it's an Evo for crying out loud.

But IMO to pay $6000 more for the model that does not have a 5 spd, weighs more, and would cost way more to mod to the power levels of the manual version...well lets just say that the MR is just not my cup of tea.

If I only drove in heavy traffic or took many long trips, I didn't know how to drive a standard, or was missing a left leg or right arm...I would get the MR.

I didn't figure you as an Evo hater. Just someone who prefers manual transmissions, which is perfectly understandable. Nevertheless, all things being equal (which is not the case here) you aren't going to shift faster than a cutting edge dual clutch transmission. It just boils down to preferences and priorities and some people justifiably like the feel of that with which they are familiar or want something more cost effective.

I was just pointing out that the limitations of upgrading the SST are primarily cost related... and it isn't even that bad. Cost is always a consideration and sensitivities on cost vary from person to person. Even with the upgrades on my MR, I consider it a bargain while many Evo owners consider it heresy.

Last edited by Sleestack; Nov 25, 2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
January 2010 issue of Road and Track has a comparison of the MR-T vs GSR.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Wink

So true...so true.

As to model weight, the new MR (at least the 2010s stock, thanks to TC-SST remapping from the factory, 4.6 0-60 is pretty legit,) is as fast, if not faster to 60 than a GSR, and the EVO X MRs are faster around a track than a GSR, so the 'weight' doesn't slow it down.

As to which model is more fun to drive, this is totally subjective and up to the buyer.

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I didn't figure you as an Evo hater. Just someone who prefers manual transmissions, which is perfectly understandable. Nevertheless, all things being equal (which is not the case here) you aren't going to shift faster than a cutting edge dual clutch transmission. It just boils down to preferences and priorities and some people justifiably like the feel of that with which they are familiar or want something more cost effective.

I was just pointing out that the limitations of upgrading the SST are primarily cost related... and it isn't even that bad. Cost is always a consideration and sensitivities on cost vary from person to person. Even with the upgrades on my MR, I consider it a bargain while many Evo owners consider it heresy.
Well stated.

I respect those who want a GSR, and I personally bought a 2010 MR Touring like Sleestack. I understand people have preferences, and as been previously expressed, both ARE EVOs. But I think Mitsubishi got it right, as both are equal or with a tenth of a second in 0-60, and the MR with its faster-than-humans-shift twin clutch, lighter two piece rotors and BBS, Bilstein shocks and Eibach spring suspension, perform slightly better STOCK around a track than a GSR.

All that performance AND I still have a moonroof, leather EVERYTHING including Recaros that are heated? We should celebrate our EVOs, and for me to get the above luxury and STILL get the above performance is why I got what I did. To each their own, and to all those with EVOs and the reasons why you bought what you got, cheers!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

Last edited by Boston_eagle; Nov 25, 2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Cut bloody arm off and then he will love the MR. Do it with a sharpened paddle shifter!!! Quicklike my son!!!
Old Nov 25, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Im pretty sure the fact that we dont have full control of the TCU is what's holding back the MR.

SST hardware is easy. it just takes money to make custom parts. SST software tuning takes many many many hours to figure out wtf is going on and how to manipulate it.

once we're over that hurdle, imagine how badass a 500hp MR would be on a track? supercar hunting for sure...

its that same as before the X had ecutek. bolt ons only did so much. then once you add tuning, all sorts of crazy numbers started to appear and now 350 whp is like nothing. doesnt surprise you anymore. but before ecutek, just bolt ons... man those were the exciting days... wondering how badass a tuned X would be...

now people like me are wondering how badass a tuned MR would be. custom shift points, more aggressive clutch engagement, better launch control, etc. etc. etc. add clutch packs and SST cooler and mod for mod the SST will be faster than a comparable GSR on a road course, auto x, 1/4 mile, anything!

heck if ferrari is on the DCT bandwagon then hey, its a winner.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by lowkey
January 2010 issue of Road and Track has a comparison of the MR-T vs GSR.
+1, MR was quicker here as well.. but then they get hot
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by darwinx
so true...so true.

Which model can you get the most power from after modding (due to limitations of the sst)...the gsr

which model weighs less...the gsr

which model is more fun to drive...the gsr

which model is easier to drive in rush hour traffic or on a long trip...the mr
+11