Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Bad fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad fuel?

Anbody ever use exxon/mobile fuel and get crappy peroformance? i filled up my tank and drove about 2hr on straight highway...and i noticed the engine sounds a little different at idle....maybe its just me but its a little louder now. All i know is that i will not use that gas again.... just gonna keep putting shell or chevron like usual....any ideas??
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a wideband? What were the readings, did the AFRs change at all? No one you pissed off would put sugar or diesel in your tank would they? There was just another thread on here about someone who got sugar put in their tank, but then again it wouldn't run very far at all before it died. Not sure, some gas is just a bad batch or something was wrong with the holding tank, could have been a million things. If your sure it was the gas and not your car than just don't go back, probably a problem with the pump or tank. Switch it up.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Do you have a wideband? What were the readings, did the AFRs change at all? No one you pissed off would put sugar or diesel in your tank would they? There was just another thread on here about someone who got sugar put in their tank, but then again it wouldn't run very far at all before it died. Not sure, some gas is just a bad batch or something was wrong with the holding tank, could have been a million things. If your sure it was the gas and not your car than just don't go back, probably a problem with the pump or tank. Switch it up.
no wide band... she is bone stock. ... i dont think nobody put sugar in the tank. i keep it in the garage all the time. I thought i read on one of the postings here that somebody had this similar problem but searched and couldnt find it. Yeah im definately never going back there again.... maybe a bad batch of fuel.... thanks for the help bro
Old Nov 17, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I never use exxon/mobile, I've always got horrible gas there. I use chevron or BP
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:09 PM

never again with exxon/mobile..im just gonna use up all that crap gas and go fill up at shell or chevron....bp too
Old Nov 17, 2009, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shenanigan13
never again with exxon/mobile..im just gonna use up all that crap gas and go fill up at shell or chevron....bp too
man i just had this problem with bad gas, it was so bad i basically filled up my entire tank with 75% water and 25% 93oct. the car ran SO BAD. terrible it wouldnt do anything. wouldnt even start in the morning it was so bad. i had to drain the fuel and clean the entire fuel system
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just read an article of gas stations mixing their octane gases together around here in houston texas. maybe thats your problem?

It happened to even shell...depends on the owner i suppose.
Old Nov 17, 2009, 09:50 PM

gas is gas... The only difference between top tier gas and the regular kind is the extra additives in the gas. And I highly doubt it would change the sound of your evo
Old Nov 18, 2009, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by xo0p
man i just had this problem with bad gas, it was so bad i basically filled up my entire tank with 75% water and 25% 93oct. the car ran SO BAD. terrible it wouldnt do anything. wouldnt even start in the morning it was so bad. i had to drain the fuel and clean the entire fuel system
yeah....i didnt have to drain the entire system...i have less then a quater tank and im gonna get as much used and fill up with some good gas from shell or chevron were i usually fill from...I was reading other posts here and the one where he was talking about owners mixing fuels that could have been the issue too and just getiing a bad batch of fuel too. I just hope it doesnt happen again... how did it run after you cleaned out your fuel system???
Old Nov 18, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shenanigan13
yeah....i didnt have to drain the entire system...i have less then a quater tank and im gonna get as much used and fill up with some good gas from shell or chevron were i usually fill from...I was reading other posts here and the one where he was talking about owners mixing fuels that could have been the issue too and just getiing a bad batch of fuel too. I just hope it doesnt happen again... how did it run after you cleaned out your fuel system???
it runs fine now. i called the state inspector and they went and checked the tanks at the station i got it from...well he called me back today and the gas station is closed now for having water in their tanks. LOL
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by xo0p
it runs fine now. i called the state inspector and they went and checked the tanks at the station i got it from...well he called me back today and the gas station is closed now for having water in their tanks. LOL
WTF...... damn thats funny.. i hope they give them some good fines if they find out it was there fault... or maybe it was just a bad shipment of gas they got...Dont the stations test for that?
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bluefire
gas is gas... The only difference between top tier gas and the regular kind is the extra additives in the gas. And I highly doubt it would change the sound of your evo
Yes, it would. If the overall octane rating of the gasolines they mixed sent the overall mixture down towards the 83ish numbers than it would run like ****. You would knock and have terribly response during boost. It might not sound much different at idle, but throw some boost and timing at that lower octane fuel and you will notice a difference FOR SURE. The only way you can run on lower octane gas is to tune for it, take timing away, and lose the HP/TQ the car is supposed to run. Some people have done this to save money on long trips, ect.

Last edited by buchnerj; Nov 19, 2009 at 05:12 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bluefire
Actually it's more about "How it's stored". Main reason for gas losing it's initial rating is because on old fuel pumps, they used underground reservoirs without double bottoming, not completely wrapped in non-rust metals etc etc... Basically, the newer the station, better the chances of the gas being in good shape. A gas station with old reservoirs, some underground water in the tanks and the gas itself staying there for half a year before they refill with fresh one - is the most likely reason for a bad tank of gas.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You may want to throw a bottle of gas dryer if some sort with the new batch of gas, that should absorb any remaining water in the tank if that's what it was.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 03:45 PM

Is shell gas good? Thats what i usually pump.

Quick Reply: Bad fuel?