Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X 3D model - making of

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X 3D model - making of

Hi guys. I'm new here so let me introduce me self; my name is Dejan Kober and I'm from Croatia. I'm 28 years old and I'm a 3D modeler and animator.
And most important thing, I'm desperately in love with EvoX Unfortunately, that car is far away dream for me, becouse at this moment, I'm investing everything in to my own company.
But, If I can't get real one, I have decided to make 3D model of one and later some short animation with that model.
And, I don't plan to make just another "simple" model (only visible things); I have decided to make as detailed as possible 3D model.
But, main problem in this "quest" of mine is availability of good reference photos or blueprints; so I'm asking you guys for help: please, If you know where to find some good reference photos of Evo's transmission, suspension, and all engine parts; I will be very grateful. Or I someone can make some photos of these parts, that will be also great.

I have started to make rear suspension, but in middle of work I have find some beter photos and then I realised that I have done it all wrong, so I'm starting all over again.

P.S. I apologies If I have placed this thread in wrong section...

Here are some renderings of current model:

Last edited by berko; Nov 30, 2009 at 05:02 PM. Reason: full size images replaced with thumbnails
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:29 AM

Here are some fresh images:

Last edited by berko; Dec 1, 2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Holy **** thats badass, lol. I've always wanted to do graphic design and this just makes me want to start it haha.

Nice job man, if theres anything i can help you with, any shots of the car, angles, engine bay, let me know, ill try to snap a few.

p.s, what 3d program do you use? Maya? 3ds max? lightwave?
I used Maya myself for a long time (think last time i used it was when Maya 4.5 was out..)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

3DMax 2009 or 2010, the navigation wheels didn't exist in previous ones
Rendering engine I would say is v-ray, but not sure
By the way berko, 3D max is my daily job, architectural field, nice work buddy, you can make some $$ after you finish the model selling it at turbosquid.com.
They sale it for you and you give them some %. with such detailed work I’m sure you can sell your model to anyone looking for an evo x 3d model.
if you look in the forum for exhausts and underbody installation you will find a lot of pictures.
Good luck and let me know if you need anything in particular
Old Nov 30, 2009, 11:52 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy **** that's good.

I design parts for machinery using inventor in 3d but never used it to design something cosmetic like that. Those look amazing.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:05 PM

@Evostare: It's 3D studio max 2009. And thank you for offer; I will definitely need some images of engine bay once I start to work on it.

@alex3dworld: 3D is also mine daily job, and also architectural field (most of time, even I try to make some other things, like this car, but architecture is one that pays bills). Here is link to my gallery (it's all on Croatian, becouse it's on Croatian 3D portal, but you can see images): http://berko.3dhr.net/radovi/

I will update this topic regularly with new images (but I have to wait for my posts to be approved by moderators, so my responses are a bit slow)
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I bought a library a few month ago with five 3d car models, it's amazing the detail that we can get today with the actual computers and human willing. I remember in particular an Audi A5, with all the details inside, panels, NAVI, every single detail. The beauty of today technology is not only the detail that you can get, but that you don't have to deal with all those polygons in a complex scene, you call them through proxies just when you want to render the final image.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

yeap, amazing renderings in your gallery, I will keep your contact if i need you in the future, sometimes I have so much work that I need some extra help from outside.
About the bills, that's life, I would like to be cosmonaut, but I’m to lazy and fat to fit inside an space ship, so I got an evo, lol
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:11 PM

That is some nice work. You can probably make some money just creating high quality renderings of custom paint and wheels. I'm sure people would cough up $20-50 to see what looks good on their X before they buy.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

That is some VERY fine modeling work... I remember when I was dabbling with that stuff and something like that would have taken weeks.

Originally Posted by kcandiloro
That is some nice work. You can probably make some money just creating high quality renderings of custom paint and wheels. I'm sure people would cough up $20-50 to see what looks good on their X before they buy.
x2 do this, and use the proceeds to buy an Evo
Old Nov 30, 2009, 02:55 PM

Tnx guys for nice comments;
In the end, I plan to make short animation with this model, and that's reason why I'm making it that detailed. I plan to make something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTkVKPdyWs0 ; but only similar in part where car is assembled.

I see that my earlier post hasn't appear yet, so I'll post new images here (when that post appears, I'll delete it)

End my current collection of reference images:

Last edited by berko; Dec 1, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:57 PM

Tnx guys for nice comment's; I have added some more images, but it has to be approved by moderators, so they are not yet visible.... I have explained in one of pending posts what I have in mind with this model. And of course, I'll put it on sale on Turbosquid As a whole model, and as individual parts.

alex3dworld
: unfortunately, here in Croatia, people don't actually respect 3D as valid profession, becouse we don't have some collage or other educational facility where people can learn 3D as profession, so majority of people think about 3D as some sort of child play, becouse they associate it with games and cartoons. Only thing that you can do around in 3D and make some money are architectural visualizations, but even in that, there is little respect and seance of work needed to make something in 3D, and that's reflects on low prices of work. For example, me and my colleague work sometimes for 12h a day, and barely manage to pay our self minimum wage (there is also problem with State, witch takes almoust half of our earning through taxes and other stuff). I have been working with 3D for almoust 10 years, and sometimes I think that things are getting only worse....
Well, enough of my babble and grumble.....
I hope that posts with new images will be validated soon...

P.S. Is this validation normal for all users, or just for new ones?
P.P.S. Moderators, I will edit my posts and put thumbnails instead of full size images, to make posts load faster

Last edited by berko; Nov 30, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:00 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

dang!

thats all i got to say to that. its nice to see a fellow designers work. you'd be able to make some huge a$$ bux here in the states with that talent!

josh
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by JRR
dang!
Exactly... dang! but "dang" to price difference of new EVO here in Croatia, and in US (I was just reading topic about prices in US); In Croatia, new EVO GSR, entry model costs 388 500kn ( 77 700$). That's approximately 2.3 times more then in US. Not fair
I think that I'll save some money and go to US and buy it there; even if it will cost me double with all taxes, transport, customs and stuff, It will still be cheaper then here....

P.S. I have a friend who is working in US (California). He is working in Blur studio http://www.blur.com/, but unfortunately, leaving to stats is not an option for me, becouse I have to many obligations to other people here (sick and old family members i have to take care of), and I'm not to crazy about moving .

Last edited by berko; Nov 30, 2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by berko
Exactly... dang! but "dang" to price difference of new EVO here in Croatia, and in US (I was just reading topic about prices in US); In Croatia, new EVO GSR, entry model costs 388 500kn ( 77 700$). That's approximately 2.3 times more then in US. Not fair
I think that I'll save some money and go to US and buy it there; even if it will cost me double with all taxes, transport, customs and stuff, It will still be cheaper then here....

P.S. I have a friend who is working in US (California). He is working in Blur studio http://www.blur.com/, but unfortunately, leaving to stats is not an option for me, becouse I have to many obligations to other people here (sick and old family members i have to take care of), and I'm not to crazy about moving .
i dont blame you i hate moving as well. already done it 4 times now and im only 23!

but i still admire your work and family always comes first.

josh

Quick Reply: Evo X 3D model - making of