Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Jack Point?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2009, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jack Point?

I need to lift my car and put it on jacks so i can get my wheels powdercoated... is this an ok place? I did some research and believe that to be ok but just want some reassurance. Ill try to describe where this is... Just behind the front tires on the metal lip 5 or so inches from the skirt edge of the car. The lip extends to the front of the rear tires where the other jacks are placed.

Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:29 AM
Evolved Member

I don't like to use the side jack rails personally. The service manual tells you to jack up the car using the rear differential or underneath the front undertray, there is a black circle up near the front, both of which I've used numerous times with no issue.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evolved X
I need to lift my car and put it on jacks so i can get my wheels powdercoated... is this an ok place? I did some research and believe that to be ok but just want some reassurance. Ill try to describe where this is... Just behind the front tires on the metal lip 5 or so inches from the skirt edge of the car. The lip extends to the front of the rear tires where the other jacks are placed.
I use that spot everytime I jack the car, but I use a short piece of wood (2x4) between the jack and the car...it gives a little bit of cusion and spreads out the load more so you don't crush that metal rail. Never had any problems with it on any car.

Last edited by ScottSpeed21; Dec 9, 2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

You should technically have your jack stands a little closer to the wheels. See in your second picture how there are two notches in that lip (and about a 2-3" wide section in between)? That is the best place to put your jack stand. I usually use the jack to jack up where your jack stand is currently, and then put the jack stand in between the notches that I described.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

I use the side rail, i dont like too, but when your car is lowered you dont have a lot of choices
Old Dec 9, 2009, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
You should technically have your jack stands a little closer to the wheels. See in your second picture how there are two notches in that lip (and about a 2-3" wide section in between)? That is the best place to put your jack stand. I usually use the jack to jack up where your jack stand is currently, and then put the jack stand in between the notches that I described.
mine is exactly where the OP has his....exxcept mine are in between the notches.....i feel safer with it between those notches because it spreads the car's weight more equally...haha
Old Dec 9, 2009, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the posts. Wheels are getting coated tomorrow!
Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ScottSpeed21
I use that spot everytime I jack the car, but I use a short piece of wood (2x4) between the jack and the car...it gives a little bit of cusion and spreads out the load more so you don't crush that metal rail. Never had any problems with it on any car.
Yeah, have a little mercy... metal to metal... ouch! I use hockey pucks with slits cut in them.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by lowkey
Yeah, have a little mercy... metal to metal... ouch! I use hockey pucks with slits cut in them.
Yep, that's the ticket. With Evos, a floor jack on the pinchweld usually results in a bent pinchweld unless you're using a slitted block of wood or hockey puck. You can bend them back but it's a hassle.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

I put mine between the two notches as well. I don't use a jack though, I usually turn green and pick it up myself.
Old Dec 11, 2009, 10:42 AM

So far so good... car should be coming down this afternoon! Thanks for the posts guys!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 03:09 AM
Evolving Member

i never jack from the rear cuz i dont know where, one time i started to but some metal started bending upwards lo so i stopped... but i want to change my diff fluid soon...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EsRt2evo
I put mine between the two notches as well. I don't use a jack though, I usually turn green and pick it up myself.
lol "you wouldn't like me when im boosting "
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't do it, those skinny little thing will permanently crush, leaving your underbody ruined.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LaXGSR
This

Picture 3 is ok, rest of them need to be in between those notches, the pinch welds are doubled up there and are stronger and more resistant to bending, it will also distribute the weight of the vehicle more evenly and keep your arms and legs attatched to your body when the vehicle doesnt falll down and sever one.