Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

major drop in price?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no surprise to me, supply vs demand. How many are just like you trying to unload their evo while the demand isnt really there. That is why the price is so low.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

sell it to some spoiled high school kid with rich parents. you might get your asking price. lol
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

The appeal of owning a new Evo is not inheriting a car that somebody else beat on or modded poorly. The guy buying your car 2nd-hand doesn't have that benefit (why should he trust you?). In my mind, that's the big problem with buying one of these new and expecting to resell it before it is paid off.

Guess what my SSS/NAV/Aero/Sport with $10k in mods is worth. Same as yours! Consider yourself lucky if your car is stock and you haven't sunk any real money into it yet.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to trade in my 08 Evo X MR for a 09 Rouch Stage 3 mustang (3 0f 100) and I was told 37,000 for my Evo. Which was good since trade-in value for it is 31K in hawaii.

But I decided to stay with the Evo.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if anyone is suprised about the price drop/depreciation of their evo it is either their first new mitsubishi or they have been living under a rock for the past 2-3 years and have no idea what state the economy is in.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:08 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Madrican
I was going to trade in my 08 Evo X MR for a 09 Rouch Stage 3 mustang (3 0f 100) and I was told 37,000 for my Evo. Which was good since trade-in value for it is 31K in hawaii.

But I decided to stay with the Evo.
If the dealership gave you $6K more than it's worth for the trade-in value, it's safe to say that you paid $6K too much for your Mustang.

Think about it. You can get a new Evo X MR for barely over $37K. Why would a dealership give you $6K over the trade-in value unless they were just going to get $6K from you somewhere else.

Unless I'm missing something and Evo Xs trade like gold in Hawaii.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:01 PM

Here is my take on this. You can trade a car for love and spend your money on expensive wedding to then get divorced in under 5 years and not be able to afford anything really because of the divorce. Or you can keep the car and keep your marriage very low profile (ie signing paper with mayor of your town) then divorce in 5 years and try to keep the car during separation. Either way you are screwed but I have heard too many people who thought that they were making a good decision selling their priced cars to then realize that driving a camry for the rest of your life is not even anywhere near as exciting.

But what do I know?

I am happy that me and my fiance split on good terms and I got to keep everything because she would not sign a prenuptial agreement.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Construct
If the dealership gave you $6K more than it's worth for the trade-in value, it's safe to say that you paid $6K too much for your Mustang.

Think about it. You can get a new Evo X MR for barely over $37K. Why would a dealership give you $6K over the trade-in value unless they were just going to get $6K from you somewhere else.

Unless I'm missing something and Evo Xs trade like gold in Hawaii.
A new MR cost 46,000 at the dealer here. But as you said I believe there was a little trick going on there. There was going to get their money someway.

Last edited by Madrican; Dec 15, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Madrican
A new MR cost 46,000 at the dealer here. But as you said I believe there was a little trick going on there. There was going to get their money someway.
Correction, a dealer lists $46K as the asking price so buyers will tend to negotiate around that price. If the dealer says they will give you a $6K discount on a $46K car "today only", a buyer is far more likely to get excited and leave the dealership with the car. List the same car at $41K and offer a $2K discount, and most people won't get nearly as excited.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

You think you have it bad...try selling a EVO VIII or IX with high miles. Hell I got mine earlier this year for 15k and trading the owner my 04 600rr qith over 20k on the clock
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

This is where you have to shop for the car you want to buy the best way to keep from getting it in the shorts is at the time of purchace. I looked all over the northwest before i bought my car shoped every evo dealer listed by mitsubishi and made them earn my buisness. I paid 29,250 in april for a fully loaded gsr sss and i know others bought for a little less than mine shortly after.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Oh and too that poster who posted the benz that is worth half the price a year later.....doesn't surprise me. It seems Mercedes resale values are some of the worst amongst the luxury brands (in what I have observed).

I will never buy brand new again. Only car I bought was a 98 ITR brand new....had it for 2 years. Sold it with 80k on the clock (I used to commute back and forth between ATL and Ontario Canada) and I sold it for just enough to cover what was left on the loan. I don't like car payments...esp anything over 300 a month Will not do that again....its such a good feeling knowing you don't owe anyone **** for your car. I also feel less guilty modding it.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:59 PM

Just to make it clear.... Getting married is your first mistake and getting rid of your Evo X is your second mistake. I had to give up a perfectly good Stage 2 STi when I got married. Worst decision I ever made, and much of the same situation I was in. The car at the time had 26,000 miles on it and was less than two years old. The resale value was around $32,000 and I ended up just barely skimping over its trade in at around $26,500. I would definitely try to work around some figures, if not you will get burnt and pretty bad. Not to mention you will probably not be happy with your new Prius your wife decided was prettier. LOL
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

25K is a good price, especially for trade in. I'm not sure too many people on this forum would pay much more than $25k for a used 2008.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by supergengo
25K is a good price, especially for trade in. I'm not sure too many people on this forum would pay much more than $25k for a used 2008.

Good luck, whatever you decide.
Once people realize they aren't selling for 27k new anymore the price should get a bit of a bump.

Quick Reply: major drop in price?