Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Snow Brush vs. EVO paint

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow Brush vs. EVO paint

so, this is my first winter with the evo. need some feedback on how to the paint stands up to normal car brushes. there's gonna be a lot of snow getting dumped on the car and when i try to clear it away, will the brushes scratch the paint?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get a car wash...dont risk scratching your paint...all you need to do is clear the windows and defrost...WINTER is NOT the season to try and look good.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 09:33 PM

^ Agreed. However, in some states such as Pennsylvania, it is illegal to clear just the windshields and windows. By law, you are required to clear all accumulated snow off your vehicle. I was actually talking with a fellow evo owner about this and was tossing around the idea of creating a thread like this. Looking good isn't my concern for removing the snow, my worry comes from the nylon bristles putting marks in the paint. This is my first winter for my evo as well. So far I've found this as an alternative to the common snow brush. It's called a Snow Brum

We use them at our dealership and they work very well, and the edges of the foam are soft and don't mark the cars. However I can't seem to find them locally.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:03 AM

^^^^^ WOW!!! That is actually pretty cool. I'll have to look into getting one of those.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

this thing its like magic
Old Dec 21, 2009, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agreed. I have one, not that brand, and it works like a champion. Use that on the car, scraper on the windows and such. Ready to tear it up.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthEvoX
^^^^^ WOW!!! That is actually pretty cool. I'll have to look into getting one of those.
Napa can get them. We got them in stock at the Ellicott city store
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

The snow brum's work good as long as your car is not dirty underneath or the brum itself is not dirty. Then you are just dragging it all across your car. I live in PA too, and while i dont drive my Evo in the snow, for my other cars, i knock off as much snow as i can with my hand or something and clear the windows and go. I havent been pulled over yet.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That Snow Brum looks like a great idea! here in Canada we have the same problem and its also illegal to leave accumulated snow on your car. Im going to try to look for one of these.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tim85851
get a car wash...dont risk scratching your paint...all you need to do is clear the windows and defrost...WINTER is NOT the season to try and look good.
They don't call them swirl-o-matics for nothing. But a brushless car wash would work.

(I don't recommend either car wash, though, if you want to get a clean car. A car wash with brush curtains scratch your paint, and a brushless carwash doesn't really get the dirt off your car. Contact with pressure and preferrably clean microfiber actually needs to be made to the car.)
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:18 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
The local car wash near me has a pressure washer and the water that comes out is hot so its great to melt the snow.

A snow brush would definitely scratch EVO paint. Mitsubishi clear is trash.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by F1312T4
^ Agreed. However, in some states such as Pennsylvania, it is illegal to clear just the windshields and windows. By law, you are required to clear all accumulated snow off your vehicle. I was actually talking with a fellow evo owner about this and was tossing around the idea of creating a thread like this. Looking good isn't my concern for removing the snow, my worry comes from the nylon bristles putting marks in the paint. This is my first winter for my evo as well. So far I've found this as an alternative to the common snow brush. It's called a Snow Brum

We use them at our dealership and they work very well, and the edges of the foam are soft and don't mark the cars. However I can't seem to find them locally.
I wish all states had that policy. Its horrible when there is snow left on a car then freezes over. When that car gets on the highway it shoots sheets of ice onto cars behind it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

My evo is scratched up some..I decided from day one to let it get that way. still looks nice waxed up, but the stress free feeling of letting all the guys with the same social security number at the car wash rub it down, or going off course into gravel and pitting my rocker trim all to hell just bothers me a lot, lot less.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Cover the car before it snows, then pull the cover off when ready to go (after brushing some snow off of course). Problem solved.

They even have those windshield covers specifically for that purpose, so you don't have to scrape.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:58 PM

The snow brums are pretty sweet! I would never use a brush on the paint...seems like no good could come from that

Quick Reply: Snow Brush vs. EVO paint