Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Subframe Connector? :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Subframe Connector?

So New Jersey got slammed with over 2 feet of snow this past weekend and seeing as how I work at a ski shop and calling out cause of snow isn't an excuse I had to drive in (with no snow-tires on the car yet). Well long story short I slammed into a curb with a majority of the impact being taken by my front driver side tire. No major body damage but insurance estimator said the front bumper cover has to be replaced and I def a need a new rim as well as the subframe connector being replaced. Here in lies my question.

Im going to sound like such a n00b asking this question ( the only dumb question is the unasked question) but what is the main function of the subframe connector, how would they go about removing this and replacing it, and does anyone have a picture of one for the Evo X? Also how bad is this is, is this something I should be worried about or after its replaced should I be all good?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone

Last edited by Get Rad; Dec 23, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Fine tuning
Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add chassis rigidity by connecting subframe members. There are a few near the oil pan and the cat. Black parts. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

Old Dec 23, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Wow that was quick, thanks a lot. At least I can now visually understand what's going on a little more. I need to see things for my brain to process it correctly and every where I looked they showed my stuff for fords and everything else other than an Evo. So thanks once again
Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the big black piece that connects across the width of the car to the silver lower control arms is your actual subframe. I'm assuming the smaller black peices (1 under the engine near the pan, one connecting to the pans near the cat) are what need replacing. If it is the rear one you can go aftermarket

Old Dec 23, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah too bad I don't have much say with that. Im getting this fixed through my insurance company. Im still struggling with the whole just graduating form college thing and trying to stand on my own 2 feet lol. But thanks the more I learn the better.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
To add chassis rigidity by connecting subframe members. There are a few near the oil pan and the cat. Black parts. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong!

I got a follow up question. On the upper right hand corner of that picture is that triangle like piece with three red screws in it. I bottomed out over a weird driveway and hit that piece. That piece seems to have a lip that got crushed a bit, but not far enough to hit the screws. I didn't bottom out enough to get hung up at all, just a little whack. Should that be ok? It looks like the lip is meant to protect those screws.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GetterDragun
I got a follow up question. On the upper right hand corner of that picture is that triangle like piece with three red screws in it. I bottomed out over a weird driveway and hit that piece. That piece seems to have a lip that got crushed a bit, but not far enough to hit the screws. I didn't bottom out enough to get hung up at all, just a little whack. Should that be ok? It looks like the lip is meant to protect those screws.
Superficial damage to that piece should be no big deal. If anything, it's easy to remove/install and probably pretty cheap too if you want to replace it.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Get Rad
I'm going to sound like such a n00b asking this question ( the only dumb question is the unasked question) but what is the main function of the subframe connector, how would they go about removing this and replacing it, and does anyone have a picture of one for the Evo X?
Do you know exactly which piece was damaged?
Old Dec 24, 2009, 02:51 AM
Evolved Member

The lip is also to provide rigidity to the part. I'm at the limit of my knowledge here though, pehaps somebody else should comment.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stokEd
Do you know exactly which piece was damaged?
I was just told that it was the sub frame connector. I goin to ask to see the part when I go to pick up my car when it ia fixed. I hope that it gets fixed soon I'm going through with drawls
Old May 18, 2011, 09:54 PM

Did you ever figure out which part was damaged? im in a similar situation and it looks like my sub frame moved back by 1/2". nothing looks bent though