Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X MR/MR Touring ?'s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X MR/MR Touring ?'s

Hello all,
I am looking to buy a MR and just had some questions for owners of MR and MR Touring.

1. What is your avg MPG?
2. I heard the road noise was bad on these cars, is that true?
3. How does the nav work?
4. I tested the normal lancer when it first came out and the smart key was horrible, I had to get right up to the car and even them it didnt work. How is everyone elses issues with this?
5. I listen to everything from rap to classical; the numbers on the sound system are nice but how does it really sound?

Any other tips or things you like and dont like please leave here, trying to get as much info as I can before I buy.

Thanks all for your help!
John
Old Dec 28, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

1. I get anywhere from 17-22mpg (pending if I'm lead footed or under driving it). Im tuned and am running just about every major bolt-on you can think, and I still get semi-descent MPG. Only complaint is the tank should have been 16 gallons. But nothing to really cry over.
2. A bit more then the avg car. You have to remember these cars are AWD 4WD All time so they have a center differential which will be a bit louder. Also there seems to be very little sound detonating materials used in the car, especially near the wheel wells. Nothing a nice stereo and speakers won't drown out, or even an aftermarket exhaust!
3. Nav Is fantastic, few quirks every now and then, but can't complain. I came from a Garmin Nuvi out of my STI and have to say the Nav is worth the extra chips.
4. Smart Key hasn't been an issue for me. Only real annoying thing I deal with every now and then is asking me to verify the key, when its already in my hand.
5. If you go with the Rockford Fosgate SSS package, its pretty good, though honestly for the price you can do better for less if you just take it to a professional stereo shop. Been looking to replace the speakers in the car, there are plenty of great options. This shouldn't be and issue.

Overall, Love my MR, and wish she wasn't in the shop right now waiting for the TURBO to be replaced (isn't a flaw with the car, just freak accident). Having the SST Transmission is awesome! Allot will tell you to go 5 speed if you want to make power (and for the most part they are right) but honestly the SST is going to eventually dominate. You can tell Mitsubishi is leaning towards the SST as they are introducing it into many other models of there vehicle. Shifts are crisp, especially in S-Sport Mode. If you plan to track the car, I would def, look into upgrading the transmission cooler as there have been reported cases of the infamous "SLOW DOWN" message when the SST is worked hard in track like conditions. Other then that, its pure awesomeness!

Oh, if your looking to save some dough, buy an 08 (unless you have to have the touring package). You can get them at a ridiculously low price (31.5K so OTD roughly 35-36k). If you want the 2010 Touring edition, its nice and has everything you could want out of a 300bhp sports car (at its price range).

Hope this helps, and good luck with your decision.

Last edited by HR2L; Dec 28, 2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Can't answer all of them, since I don't own an MR, but...:

Good, but for the cost, I'd look into an aftermarket system. They'll work better, sound better, and be cheaper to boot. Of course, you're not going to be able to roll the cost of it into a monthly payment, but realistically it'd be a better deal. The nav system isn't BAD, but I much prefer the built in Garmin systems of other cars.

4. I tested the normal lancer when it first came out and the smart key was horrible, I had to get right up to the car and even them it didnt work. How is everyone elses issues with this?
I've had no issues. I just touch my door and voila, it unlocks. Kinky.

5. I listen to everything from rap to classical; the numbers on the sound system are nice but how does it really sound?
It doesn't get very loud. It doesn't sound "bad", but I'm not an audio junky like some. I'm sure an aftermarket system would sound much better. It seems to "fit" the car well, and people have commented that it sounds good, but I have issues at highway speed with volume; loud exhaust + road noise = not loud enough for my preferences, especially with audio books and such.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
i too have a gsr so il say what i can. the rockford fosgates in the 08's are pretty good but could be better, IMO. it still works very well tho and didnt they make it even better in '10? the road noise most people complain about is the engine noise due to the short final in the 5-speed, which shouldnt be a problem in the MR because has the sixth gear. i think the fast key is awesome. i like it because i can leave the car running and run back inside the house. BTW.. i LOVE the seats in the new touring model. i wish i could buy them without paying like 15k. haha. all in all if u are a "car guy" u will love your new X.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

I have a 2010 MR Touring.

1. My avg mpg is about 17 mpg, which is fine for a performance car. I was getting about 15 mpg in my GT-R and 11 mpg in my tuner Mercedes.

2. Road noise is not that bad on the MR Touring, but definitely higher than a German sedan. It hasn't bothered me. Cheaper interior materials can cause some rattles, but I have cured all of mine with little effort. The MR Toruing has more noise insulation so it may be quieter. I have never driven another X so I have no basis for comparison.

3. I really like the nav system. Much better than the one I have in my 08' 550i. I also have a new Garmin and feel the Evo Nav system is almost on par.

4. I have sporadic issues with the key. Could be better.

5. Sound system is average, but the noise floor inside the cabin is pretty high, so an upgrade may or may not be worth it to you. I do not like listening at levels that can damage my ear drums, so with the high cabin noise floor, I just deal with the sonics of the Rockford system in the acoustically challenged listening environment.

I love the MR Touring, but also felt it need some upgrades and tuning to get it to be an ideal daily for me.

Last edited by Sleestack; Dec 28, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 08:49 PM

Thanks for info. I'm thinking about getting an MR touring and this thread was helpful.

Somebody mentioned the shorter 5th in the MT. Related to the noise, yes that does seem like it would make a significant difference. In the MR with the 6th gear about what RPM does the car run at on the highway at 80 MPH?

Last edited by Captain Insano; Dec 28, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by police1211
Hello all,
1. What is your avg MPG?
1. I average about 18mpg with combined city and highway driving.
2. Compared to entry-level luxury cars or higher(3-series, A4/5, TL, etc.) the road noise is definitely higher.
3. The nav is fine for me and i've used many.
4. I don't have any problems with the smart key. I usually just leave it in my pocket and push the black button on the door handle to lock the car and put my hand on the handle to unlock it. Works perfectly.
5. I don't have the Rockford system and the stock system sounds fine. It depends how picky and how much of an audiophile you are though. If you are a bass junky you won't be satisfied. If you want great sound quality you won't be satisfied. If you're a normal person and just want decent music without it sounding like garbage you'll be fine.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

You guys and your evo's with NAV, nice sound systems, etc... The evo has truly evolved. Amazing to see the difference from an 03 to the 2010's.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff1121
You guys and your evo's with NAV, nice sound systems, etc... The evo has truly evolved. Amazing to see the difference from an 03 to the 2010's.
I hear ya brother. I'm coming from a VIII 2.3L stroker. The X is totally different but it is an AMAZING car.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I love the MR Touring, but also felt it need some upgrades and tuning to get it to be an ideal daily for me.
Holy crap Sleestak! haha. I remember when you first posted about switching from the GT-R. You have a nice collection of mods already.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

1. What is your avg MPG?

I average just what the EPA estimated 17 in the city and 22 on the highway, my combined average with some highway driving and a lot of fun runs in the mountains is around 19 mpg. If you are concerned about mpg you can just leave the transmission in normal mode and drive moderately to achieve the epa figures, but to me, that's not really the point of this car. If you are trully concerned about mpg's this wouldn't be the best car for you.

It is a performance car first, so coming out of other "entry luxury" cars the road noise is going to be more, but imo nothing that is not liveable, you will hear road noise, but cruising on the highway it is nothing to worry about. I have roof racks and a thule box on my MR-T right now and with the sun shade open I can hear some wind noise from the rack and box, with the sun shade shut I don't hear a thing (it's kinda amazing since the sun shade feels so cheap). I can't stand the sound of the engine between 3K-4K when I'm in a lower gear going through some fun mountain roads, acoustically, the engine noise sounds awful to me, so I just go to a higher gear when appropriate. I don't remember being bothered by the engine noise in my VIII, but I was younger when I had that. By no means does that noise make me wish I bought a different car and the noise is just not pleasent sounding, it's not too loud.

I didn't get the Nav option, I use my Droid with Google Navigation and have been very happy with that. I wouldn't mind having the optional Nav, but simply for the more user friendly control of adjustments of the settings in the car and the cleaner look it would provide to the interior. It is not worth the extra money to me just for the Nav, you'll have to judge if it is for you.

I haven't had an issue with the smart key, it has always worked for me, some times I do have to try twice to open the door, but it has always opened. It does feel like an afterthought, meaning it doesn't feel like the car was designed for this feature, but added to it later.

The sound quality is acceptable, but it will probably be the first thing I change out on the car. If you aren't **** about sound quality in home system, in otherwords you don't spend an extra thousand on a receiver in order to get moderately better sound quality, than you most likely be happy with the RF system. But I think most people that are serious about sound quality already know they are going to replace the stock system even before they buy the car.

Overall I'm very happy that I didn't get the 135i or the STI over the MR-T, because it offers a great comprose between my EVO VIII and the luxury and softer dynamics of the other cars I was looking at.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

1. I drive aggressively and get around 13mpg, but on the highway with the cruise set, I've seen it get about 25mpg
2. Road noise sucks. Worse than my 09 Lancer GTS. You get used to it
3. The NAV is pretty good, but not as good as my Garmin. It's also old and outdated maps, so many changes don't exist.
4. Smart key works great. I never have any issues with it. I walk up to the car, touch the handle and it unlocks, period. I get in, and it starts.
5. The sound system sucks if you want to listen to anything loud. If it's not loud, it sounds pretty good.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

For all you guys getting 20+mpg, how many miles do you guys actually get out of your tank? I fill up after 280kms with very little fuel left~