Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

how many of you here use your EVO X as a daily and only car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

From: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Originally Posted by murlo26
Daily drive here through harsh Minnesota Winters and all! Snow/ice sleet salt and all.

20k miles and absolutely no problems yet. 400whp tuned on E85 too. Very reliable so far, even stock clutch still.
Just curious, where in MN did you get your tune???

Back on topic, I DD mine everywhere and I have a family of five.

I have over 25,000 miles on this car in about ten months time and it hasnt been babied either.

I drive it regularly from the great lakes to the gulf coast.

Its done everything Ive asked it to do and only asked for more. It hasnt blinked an eye.

No real maintenance issues other than a crapola factory battery and tune.

I think its funny when people on this board complain about spending good money then having some maintenance issues. If you really want to feel pain buy an Audi, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes. Then youll understand frustration lol!

If you actually know how to drive a car....and take care of it, the X or any other Evo, will take care of you just fine.

(Amsoil and Moble1 filters FTW)
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Mine is a daily driver.... Love it! It puts me a in a good mood when i give it a little gas lol....
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

DB performance, there is a guy Shane there, he has tuned lots of Evo's.
Originally Posted by Brest Phan
Just curious, where in MN did you get your tune???

Back on topic, I DD mine everywhere and I have a family of five.

I have over 25,000 miles on this car in about ten months time and it hasnt been babied either.

I drive it regularly from the great lakes to the gulf coast.

Its done everything Ive asked it to do and only asked for more. It hasnt blinked an eye.

No real maintenance issues other than a crapola factory battery and tune.

I think its funny when people on this board complain about spending good money then having some maintenance issues. If you really want to feel pain buy an Audi, Porsche, BMW or Mercedes. Then youll understand frustration lol!

If you actually know how to drive a car....and take care of it, the X or any other Evo, will take care of you just fine.

(Amsoil and Moble1 filters FTW)
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I bought mine to be a partial daily driver. It does spend a lot of time in the garage, but that's only because it has 2 other vehicles it's competing with. The Evo never sees the snow. That's what my truck is for. And when the weather is nice, I ride my motorcycle. The Evo gets about 7500mi/year. So basically, the Evo sees all the cold/rainy weather driving, and the other norms. It's great as a DD, just wish it were quieter sometimes.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:36 AM

I used my GSR as a daily driver, but was putting way too many miles on it as well as wear and tear in bumper to bumper traffic, not to mention my numerous gas station visits. The wife ended up buying me a used 2005 Honda Civic Si, and that cured all my problems. Now, I drive the X on the weekends only (most of the time), I'll do this until my miles Vs. miles per year ratio catches up. ( I put 16k on it in less than a year). I want to keep it around 10k a year.

I think the EVO is an awesome daily, but only if it's slightly modded. When you have the X as your only car and you start the modding game, it starts to get a little scary (for me anyway) messing with your only ride to work.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

DD with the evo most days. I ride two wheels when the weather permits but other than that its up to the evo.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Daily drove it for about 18 months. I bought a beater to save money and prolong tire and brake replacement.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have 21500 on my GSR in ~ 8 months. 16000 of those miles have been tuned with light mods. I have been problem free thus far.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

My MR is my only car now. Get's me to and from work every day all year. No problems to speak of so far.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I DD my MR-T and its great so far. Only complaint is the mpg and noise. even when driven very civil, the gearing feels like you need another gear on the highway. on the street it feels like you have to rev the hell out of it to get anywhere. the same things that make it great on the track make it kinda annoying to drive when out doing errands and such. i cant imagine what GSR owners go thru with the 5 speed...

and as for the noise, on stock 2010 exhaust the thing is just way too loud. at 4000 it just drones... not a cool exhaust note, but an embarrassing drone that wont go away unless you let off the gas or give it more throttle (or shift gears of course). it drones so much that i get made fun of. before i pickup my friends they know ive arrived cuz of the droning exhaust. in the car, it drones and i have to drive like a granny to hold a conversation.

but otherwise the car is thrilling. when boost kicks in, its addictive... it fits 5 people. trunk is a bit of a problem if you frequently have passengers and really need the space. i dont so it fits my lifestyle. even then, i usually just put stuff on the back seat anyways.

Last edited by madfast; Dec 29, 2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

^ i love my 5 speed GSR

get an aftermarket exhaust. i remember the drone from the stock exhaust, it was terrible! i'm enjoying my perrin cbe, does not drone.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by John83
^ i love my 5 speed GSR

get an aftermarket exhaust. i remember the drone from the stock exhaust, it was terrible! i'm enjoying my perrin cbe, does not drone.
yeah i know but im afraid of the warranty *****. maybe later on. im happy with the stock performance so far. the most i'd go for is a drop in and a tune. that by itself should be enough. i got the MR-T to be a sporty DD sedan with a touch of "luxury" not a race car.

as for the drone it only happens at around 4k rpm so you either dont rev that high or rev the hell out of it to get past 4k. if you cruise in sport mode on the MR and it hovers just around 4k but not enough throttle to shift up, its HORRIBLE... so on the street i usually shift early just to get around the drone...
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by madfast
yeah i know but im afraid of the warranty *****. maybe later on. im happy with the stock performance so far. the most i'd go for is a drop in and a tune. that by itself should be enough. i got the MR-T to be a sporty DD sedan with a touch of "luxury" not a race car.

as for the drone it only happens at around 4k rpm so you either dont rev that high or rev the hell out of it to get past 4k. if you cruise in sport mode on the MR and it hovers just around 4k but not enough throttle to shift up, its HORRIBLE... so on the street i usually shift early just to get around the drone...
In normal auto mode, it'll shift at 3k and you'll avoid the drone for normal city driving. I only really use sport mode if I'm using the paddles for the faster (and more predictable) gear changes, or if I'm climbing some really steep hills.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

believe me i know, i remember hating the stock exhaust. you should find someone with an x with a nice aftermarket exhaust. usually cat-back isn't a big issue with dealerships.
Old Dec 29, 2009 | 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

i DD my GSR in crappy stop and go traffic everyday, usually take the long way home from work just so i can open it up on some of the faster roads. no problems really so far except gas mileage isnt great, i have a drop in, cat back, and soon to have Access Port Stage 1

Quick Reply: how many of you here use your EVO X as a daily and only car?