Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Trunk

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2010, 03:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Evo X Trunk

Alright, just thought I'd do a little rant here,

But is it just me, or does anyone else find it a biatch to open the trunk on the EVOs? Like I go to pull the little lever in the car, or press the button on the key to open it, but that just unlatches it. You still have to physically lift the trunk up and open it yourself. This isn't really a big deal me normally but the fact that there is no spot on the trunk where you can actually grab onto to lift the trunk open other than two spots:

1) The spoiler

2) The lower edge of the trunk (the edge that's parallel to the rear bumper)

Since I don't wanna use the spoiler, I pick option 2. But I find that my fingers barely get underneath there to actually lift it open. It's a even more of a hassel in winter time, and I'm done shopping. The last thing I wanna do is put all my bags onto one hand, take off my glove, and then open my trunk when it's -20C outside. And on top of that my car is usually dirty as hell in the winter time and that makes my fingers all dirty as well.

I dunno maybe I'm just being really prissy, but last few days I've been noticing this a lot lately and it's kinda pissing me off. I noticed that the USDM EVOS have the option to unlock/open the trunk physically using the key. If I could do this, I would just use the key as a lever to open the trunk, but for some reason the Canadian EVOs don't have this option.

Can anyone else relate to this?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha yes it is true that it's a pain in the *** to get a grip in that small space between the trunk and the bumper to pull the trunk open. To be honest its probably the weight of the wing that prevents it from poping up an inch or 2 like most cars.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

I just use the wing... I hate doing it, but it doesn't seem to have any negative impact.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:54 AM

take your palm on the top edge of the trunk, just below the spoiler, and roll the trunk back towards the car to open it...as long as your hands are ghetto greasy or dirty, it works just fine.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shizblam
I just use the wing... I hate doing it, but it doesn't seem to have any negative impact.
^^^ I do the same.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

heh. This is just one of those minor annoyances that I've never seen on one of the gripe lists.

In the winter the whole area is covered in dirt/salt and I don't like getting my hands dirty to open the trunk, either.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 07:36 AM

I grab the spoiler and lift the trunk. The spoiler seems to be mounted pretty securely, and if it can withstand airflow at over 100 mph, not to mentioned car washes, I don't think there's going to be much negative effects of putting 5-10 lbs of pressure on it to lift the trunk up.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

I don't really care, but then again I don't get a ton of snow on it to make it heavy either.

There is the added benefit of privacy- I shoot shotguns competitively and I don't need everybody to see them when I stop at the store on the way home or whatever until I walk around to the back.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I find it easier to slide fingers in both bottom corner edges of the trunk and then lift up from there.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

I've been asking people for 8 years now NOT to use the wing on my WRX to open the trunk. People have been using the wing to open the trunk for 8 years now, with no ill affect.

I'd use the wing on the X, if I hadn't removed mine
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:32 AM
Evolved Member

Just reach under the wing and press on the plastic part of the wing, no harm done to your paint, no harm done to your trunk, believe me.

A week ago my garage door fell down and hit my wing, the wing got bent foward and warped the trunk, and actually bent the trunk enough so the spoiler could dent the quarter panels. That wing is indestructable.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:48 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
^ +1

wing lift for me...
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:56 AM

^ +2
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

It would be nice if the trunk lid would pop open a little more so one can get their fingers on the lip better, possibly stronger gas struts.

Sounds like an opportunity for the aftermarket community. Just send the royalty checks my way.

Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Heh so seems like quite a bit of people use the wing to open the trunk? I always thought using the wing to open it would put quite a bit of force on the wing, and risk ripping it out of the trunk. But I'll keep this in mind next time I open the trunk and I don't wanna get my fingers underneath the trunk to open it.

Quick Reply: Evo X Trunk