Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

EVO X Pulling A Quad / Waverunner

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO X Pulling A Quad / Waverunner

I was driving on the GSP yesterday when I saw a GG EVO X pulling a Quad on a small trailer. I was thinking to myself that I have always wanted to get a quad or a waverunner, but didn't want to buy a small SUV/Truck to pull it.

How bad is it to pull a Quad or a Waverunner with an EVO X?
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The manual strictly says "Do not use this vehicle to tow", so I'm assuming they diddnt just say that to reduce their marketability
Old Jan 2, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
The manual strictly says "Do not use this vehicle to tow", so I'm assuming they diddnt just say that to reduce their marketability
I read that as well. That's why I was wondering how much damage this guy was doing to his vehicle. Also how he fabricated his own tow hitch because due to my knowledge noone makes nor sells one probably because the X isn't designed to tow as the manual states.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

the transmissions in these cars cost as much or more than a jetski- no way- not even local haul would I do it.

I know somebody posted on here about one of those dinky HF trailers to tow a set of tires to a track day or something ike that in the less than 300 lb range, but other than that...no way.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Standing at the edge of the gene pool with a flamethrower...
Originally Posted by ►EvolutionX◄
This is absolutely correct.

Do not tow anything with your X. It is not designed to do that.

Buy a used truck for that, it will be cheaper than the repairs paid out of pocket because you voided your warranty-
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Brest Phan
This is absolutely correct.

Do not tow anything with your X. It is not designed to do that.

Buy a used truck for that, it will be cheaper than the repairs paid out of pocket because you voided your warranty-
Unless you are pretty airheaded, mitsu will have no idea you towed anything with your car. If your trans blows from that, then you remove the hitch. Simple enough.

Also, if these transmissions can hold 700hp+ and you have a good tow system that hooks up to a strong point of the chassis I don't see anything wrong with towing a small load like a waverunner. You'll kill some life on your clutch but I don't think its a big deal. I think they say don't tow anything as if they are avoiding extra liability.

meh.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
Unless you are pretty airheaded, mitsu will have no idea you towed anything with your car. If your trans blows from that, then you remove the hitch. Simple enough.

meh.
You might be suprised what a good transmission tech can determine during a tear down, especially with finding what went wrong in mind for warranty purposes...

Then there are the enineers who will be taking a peek-
Old Jan 2, 2010, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.

Also, if these transmissions can hold 700hp+ and you have a good tow system that hooks up to a strong point of the chassis I don't see anything wrong with towing a small load like a waverunner. You'll kill some life on your clutch but I don't think its a big deal. I think they say don't tow anything as if they are avoiding extra liability.

meh.

Holding up against 700hp, and surviving the added stress caused by towing over long periods and varying terrain is very different.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

It'd be incredibly un fun to tow anything with an Evo X, I can guess that much. I towed a U-Haul with my WRX (which was technically rated for it), and it was just awkward as hell. Off boost it wouldn't move, on boost it felt like it was going to rip apart.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

i dont see why not the towing part would be no problem

its the ramp that you have to put the jet ski that would be the problem
Old Jan 3, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
i dont see why not the towing part would be no problem

It's not the absolute gear strength issue, it's the oil temp issue. Gear Oil gets WAY hot under heavy use and unless you got a big transaxle with a trans cooler and a liter more oil than typical, it's gonna kill the trans quickly. probably the ring and pinion would bear the brunt being it has the highest torque multiplication.

The R&P went out on a 1/2 ton truck once when I towed heavy for 3000 miles.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bighec
Holding up against 700hp, and surviving the added stress caused by towing over long periods and varying terrain is very different.
It's about how much load/stress you are putting on the components. Obviously I would use different trans oil if you were towing... Think about having a car full of people and a load in your trunk as opposed to having a passenger in your car and 1000lbs to tow, not much difference.

Originally Posted by Brest Phan
You might be suprised what a good transmission tech can determine during a tear down, especially with finding what went wrong in mind for warranty purposes...

Then there are the enineers who will be taking a peek-
The burden of proof would be on them. They might try a fast one on you but I think they would be hard pressed to prove without a doubt that you were towing, especially if you take a tow hook off.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

a jet skit on a light trailer i would not call a heavy load and wouldnt be much more strain on the car then 4 fatasses inside
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

this is nuts i would never put a hitch on the back of my evo, cray people in this world
Old Jan 3, 2010, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by localtoys73
a jet skit on a light trailer i would not call a heavy load and wouldnt be much more strain on the car then 4 fatasses inside
LMAO!

Quick Reply: EVO X Pulling A Quad / Waverunner