Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Srt8 to X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Srt8 to X

Hey there
Been looking into these x's lately. Currently own an 06 srt8 300. Bad machine but kinda wanted a turbo car for ever now. How do these lil cars stack up. Been reading and it seems like with light mods the x will take the srt all day. Also I've been looking into aftermarket and it just seems cheaper to upgrade. Everything on an srt is expensive. I saw a 50 turbo on evoparts.com for 1100 that is suppose to put the x in the 11's. Nothing of the such for the srt. Thanks for the help sorry for thr crappy post I'm on my phone. Thirsty
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Stock vs stock the srt8 would probably eat an evo in a straight line, but on a road course it wouldn't stand a chance.
Throw mods into the equation, like you said, the evo will run circles around such a big heavy rwd car.
Overall I can guarantee you'll find the evo much more fun to drive in almost every situation, regardless if it's your DD or a weekend toy.

Last edited by Bawb3; Jan 5, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bawb3
Overall I can guarantee you'll find the evo x much more fun to drive in almost every situation, regardless if it's your DD or a weekend toy.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

an evo isn't designed for straight line 1/4 mile runs, there are far better cars that will do that way better.

perhaps you should consider a new camaro or mustang for doing 1/4 mile runs

if you want to take corners at ridiculous speeds or want lightning fast 0-60 times, then the choice is easy, go for the evo!
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
make sure you know, end of the day the evo is not cheap to properly maintain.
I dont know about the SRT8 , but the evo gives some people the wrong idea because it is called a lancer.

Rob
Old Jan 5, 2010, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
make sure you know, end of the day the evo is not cheap to properly maintain.
I dont know about the SRT8 , but the evo gives some people the wrong idea because it is called a lancer.

Rob
This.

You wrote that u saw a turbo that'll put the evo into 11's for little money, but take into the account that if you want to run 11's you're going to need much more - intake, exhaust, intercooler kit and a clutch. And most likely a different exhaust mainfold if it's a non-stock appearing turbo.

Count that together, add a fat amount of labor and it's not only 1200$ anymore.

+ what rob said - maintaining an evo properly is not nearly as cheap as people imagine it to be and when something breaks, that's when you find out how expensive the evo can be aswell.

However putting all this aside, I'd still not want another car for a long time. I enjoy every second in my Evo (had an 8 - 40k miles driven by me, now a 9 45k miles driven by me and I'm getting an X now). Evo is THE car for the price regardless of the expenses it brings with it.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Very different car, so I would go drive an evo before making a decision. 300SRT8=big luxury cruiser w/ some power. Evo=small compact econo car w/sweet engine/suspension/brakes. I miss my M5 a lot sometimes, but almost always prefer driving my evo.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

i've driven an srt8 jeep,charger and 300c and an evo x and i currently own a ix and i would make the switch to the evo in a heartbeat. The driving feel of the 300c srt8 is so numb and sloppy i feel like i'm driving a boat with a bad crosswind. It all depends on what you want in the car. The car you have and are comparing are two completely different cars.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:09 AM

Your 300C is a 300hp Sofa compared to the Evo, which feels light and nimble. A much more rewarding driving experience in the Evo.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, very different cars. I gave up luxury for the Evo X. I miss the heated everything and rock solid interior, but I'm in love with the X now. It stick to pavement like no other.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

you wont regret upgrading lol
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Look into a 335i minimal mods and they are in the 11s. Light has luxury can handle. Very good car.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I came also from an srt8 buddy.
If comfort ride, insurance payment increase and extra space is not a need for you, you won't regret to jump to an evo. it is in deed performance wise a better car. And yes, the parts are cheaper, the maintenance is cheaper. Only 5 quarters of oil, 4 sparkplug vs 8. Open sources for tuning, forget the Diablo sport, the list of plus is infinite.
Both cars are completely different and definitely fun to drive. the rear traction of the srt8 give me a lot of fun burning tires, the sound of the hemi v8 is awesome even better with some headers and mufflers. But every time that you take a corner you feel like driving a school bus. Gas millage is awful, takes you a ton of money to make them faster. etc.
An evo is a more track designed car. Cheaper interior, you will feel a lot of rattle in the steering wheel, bumpy ride, hard seats, but everything is forgotten when the turbo kicks!!. ohh yea!! Is like the bad girl in a nasty club that takes you and makes you go crazy! But not to worry, you are save with the sticky tires and 4 wheel drive. Just use condoms with her all the time. lol

Per motor trend magazine:

300c srt8 makes:

0-60 mph: 5.1 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.1 sec @ 108 mph
60-0 mph, ft 113
600 ft slalom, 67.3 mph
200-foot skid pad: 0.88g

evolution X makes:

0-60 mph: 4.9 sec
Standing 1/4-mile: 13.6 sec @ 101 mph
60-0 mph: 112 feet
600-foot slalom: 70.7 mph
200-foot skid pad: 0.99g

Even if I don't trust in any American car maker performance numbers, because I’m tired of see all the crap they advertise and is never true; the numbers say both cars are about the same fast 0-60 and 1/4 mille. But there is a huge difference in the handling. Make your conclusions
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boxtoevo?
Your 300C is a 300hp Sofa compared to the Evo, which feels light and nimble. A much more rewarding driving experience in the Evo.
actually it is a 425 hp sofa...to be exact

to the OP: I'd consider keeping the SRT8 because at least you can cruise that car a bit and don't always have to drive flat out, but the evo does something bad to me and makes me drive it as fast as I can far too often. I only drive it once a week now because of how it makes me act (and the cost of operation).
Old Jan 5, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

in a nutshell- the 300 SRT8 will be much, much more comfortable, but the Evo X will be marginally faster, give a more thrilling ride, and is more mod-friendly.

Quick Reply: Srt8 to X