Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to stop boost taper?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
.MM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can someone explain why an EBC would hold boost better to redline than my MBC?

im confused
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Here is Perrin's definition. It's a good write up.
http://perrinperformance.com/pages/show/113
Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

Another problem is a leaky BOV. The stock one starts leaking around 24-27psi depending on the car.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:30 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by .MM
can someone explain why an EBC would hold boost better to redline than my MBC?

im confused
there's no adjustment on your mbc, where as the ebc, u can add gain up top at redline. Another good thing about ebc is that u can set boost for any gear u in. Example: 30psi 1st gear, 30psi second gear , etc. Your mbc can only give u full boost on 3rd and 4th gear. If u want more than 30psi, u gotta have an ebc. period. Just ask every shop tuner, they will tell u.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:42 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You want a 3 Port Boost Control Solenoid... not a EBC. Clear up the confusion. The stock ECU controls boost better than any EBC out there.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, a 3 port with the factory boost control is the best option possible right now.

Any EBC will not work as well and not only that will not keep the failsafes from the factory.

You don't need an EBC to run 30psi+ i don't know why you say that...I have seen plenty of other cars with a simple mbc run 38psi from spool up to redline...has nothing to do with power.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
Yes, a 3 port with the factory boost control is the best option possible right now.

Any EBC will not work as well and not only that will not keep the failsafes from the factory.

You don't need an EBC to run 30psi+ i don't know why you say that...I have seen plenty of other cars with a simple mbc run 38psi from spool up to redline...has nothing to do with power.
If you have a large enough turbo to run 38 psi til redline. Many stock frame turbo's out will taper out by redline. Thus a BCS will help prevent most if any air to get to WGA to pop it open.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
If you have a large enough turbo to run 38 psi til redline. Many stock frame turbo's out will taper out by redline. Thus a BCS will help prevent most if any air to get to WGA to pop it open.
I am talking something more along the lines of a full turbo kit (35r+) with external gate setup. I am just implying an EBC isn't some godsend that allows more power, and you don't need one to run 30psi.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
Account Disabled

the ebc do come with an port solenoid too, isnt it the same as the 3port solenoid? Well Murlo, the shop i went to tune and race anything from 240sx, evos to 1500whp supra, most of them car use greddy profec ebc. They dont recommend mbc. Who know man, they might be wrong. Both of my evos got fix and tune there.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:02 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
boost controller a better manual bc, hallman or buschurs.

an electronic boost controller will help you a ton with the issue, tunning helps, look at what the red naturally does if its supposed to tapper up top.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

A MBC and EBC accomplish the same thing, the EBC just has a solenoid valve controlled by the controller (man that sounds dumb, lol). The only nice thing about an EBC is that it gives you setpoints to do quick switches and some allow boost by gear as you said.

A MBC is just one PSI all the time, it will build to that PSI as fast/slow as the turbo allows it and hold that PSI as long as possible and holding boost is purely based on your wastegate and turbo abilities.

It's really a waste to talk about this, the factory boost control with a 3 port is the best option as it eliminates the factory bleed type system and retains all the boost control of factory tuning allowing you all sorts of craziness and safety measures.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by murlo26
A MBC and EBC accomplish the same thing, the EBC just has a solenoid valve controlled by the controller (man that sounds dumb, lol). The only nice thing about an EBC is that it gives you setpoints to do quick switches and some allow boost by gear as you said.

A MBC is just one PSI all the time, it will build to that PSI as fast/slow as the turbo allows it and hold that PSI as long as possible and holding boost is purely based on your wastegate and turbo abilities.

It's really a waste to talk about this, the factory boost control with a 3 port is the best option as it eliminates the factory bleed type system and retains all the boost control of factory tuning allowing you all sorts of craziness and safety measures.
/thread