Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X GSR 5th gear shift cable rattle issue caught on video

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo X GSR 5th gear shift cable rattle issue caught on video

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9h6s8g181Y

The annoying rattle shift cable when you go past 55mph on 5th gear on the GSR is finally captured on a video device that can capture the noise instead of the engine exhaust. This is the annoying shift cable rattle issue that everyone is having. I have finally capture it on video without having the exhaust sound get in the way. At 16 sec is when I push the shift knob slightly towards the passenger side and hold it there. You can hear that the noise go away. At 29 sec i let go of the shift knob and it goes back to standard position and it continues to rattle again. If this is the noise you are experiencing I have a temporary solution to this in one of the threads I made. Have anyone taken this issue to the dealer and them having to fix this. It's getting to be more annoying by the day, but oddly enough if you have music blasting at volume 13+ the music will override the rattling noise and it won't bother you.

This noise is distinct, imagine a piece of paper flapping in the wind caught under your car.

My temporary solution, I have 2 so far but the one where you rotate the cable 180 degree I do not recommend as that it makes shifting to 2 and 3 a bit more notchy but it eliminates the noise 100%. The tie strap fix is only good if you are able to find the perfect position and pull very hard. The noise for that fix went away 80% of the time. The 20% of the time that didn't go away you just nudge the shift knob to the right a little and then the tie strap will fall into place and remain quiet. I have a third solution coming your way and I'll post it. It involves a rubber band and it's good till the rubber band snaps and that can either take years, months, or weeks depending on how much tension you put on the rubber band and the weather.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-rattling.html
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it to the dealer like about a year ago and they said that it was normal, they even told me to test drive their other evos. But yeah, they said they that it was normal and nothing they could do about lol

I usually put my music up if I have no passengers and when I do, I simply hold it and the rattle is gone lol
Old Jan 15, 2010, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hm...can't say i have that problem.

maybe greasing it up would fix it?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

havent had a problem yet, will keep an ear out though
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL. I have so many other rattles i wouldn't even be able to here this one
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Spazpilot
LOL. I have so many other rattles i wouldn't even be able to here this one
same here
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:37 AM

Funny i see this post as I was about to do a search for this. I didnt have this issue on my 08 but went to a new 2010 and now I'm getting this rattle. Buddy of mine who also got an 08 had this to begin with. Just not sure why I didnt have this issue on my 08 and now on my 2010...wierd.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

after certain criteria are met, you will hear this. And some people never hear this or notice it because they are always blasting music. Do yourself a favor and just drive one day past 55 mph on 5th gear with the music off and see if you hear this rattle. Move the shifter to the right and see if anything differs.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by speed650
Funny i see this post as I was about to do a search for this. I didnt have this issue on my 08 but went to a new 2010 and now I'm getting this rattle. Buddy of mine who also got an 08 had this to begin with. Just not sure why I didnt have this issue on my 08 and now on my 2010...wierd.
Off topic, how much did you pay for going from '08 to '10?

Anyways, hmm sometimes the rattle doesn't pop for some reason, it might be the way I dropped it in 5th but yeah, I've been trying to play around with it to see if there was any specific way I could shift it in and make it go away but no luck ):

The times that I try to make it go away, it doesn't, and as soon as I don't pay attention to the way I shifted, the rattle is gone =.="
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:07 PM

I rotated mine 180 degrees and I haven't noticed any more notchiness in 2nd / 3rd than normal.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

I heard that sound when I was trying to sleep while driving, and had turned the radio off.

Damn thing kept me awake.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 06:52 AM

I have the same issue, but have not taken it in to see if Mitsu will fix it.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by evoch3n
Off topic, how much did you pay for going from '08 to '10?

Anyways, hmm sometimes the rattle doesn't pop for some reason, it might be the way I dropped it in 5th but yeah, I've been trying to play around with it to see if there was any specific way I could shift it in and make it go away but no luck ):

The times that I try to make it go away, it doesn't, and as soon as I don't pay attention to the way I shifted, the rattle is gone =.="
No deals were going on when I got my 2010 but got it for 34k otd which I thought was ok but if you consider what I had already paid on my 08 and what I had put down on it then I ended up paying alot more but I finally got the color I wanted.

Looks like i'll have to take my car in to the dealer and if not I'll attempt that 180 rotation myself.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same exact rattle but have never gotten to pinpointing its exact cause.

Thank you so much for taking the effort to spot the gremlin.

At least now I know which part to scrutinize.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by countdokoo
I have the same exact rattle but have never gotten to pinpointing its exact cause.

Thank you so much for taking the effort to spot the gremlin.

At least now I know which part to scrutinize.

Try one of the methods I described to temp fix it. I think the rubberband is the best way.

Quick Reply: Evo X GSR 5th gear shift cable rattle issue caught on video