Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

1k miles later. My '10 GSR review...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1k miles later. My '10 GSR review...

So I just recently broke a thousand miles and thought i'd share my thoughts with owners & future owners. These are just my observations & opinions.
Picked up my new Wicked White 2010 X GSR w/SSS on December 18.

Exterior

First off the car is beautiful. I seriously can't take my eyes off of it. It is such a great-looking car. One of the most aggressive looking Japanese cars you can lay your eyes on.
Other than the ride height, there is nothing I could think of that I would change on the outside of the X.

Interior

Coming from a IX MR, the interior on the X is DEFINATELY a noticable upgrade. Contrary to what most magazines wrote at the time of launch, the fit and finish in the car is just fine in my eyes. Sure it's no BMW or Infiniti, but luxury comes with its drawbacks(weight) which I could definately do without.
The seats are great and have some of the biggest bolsters of any other production car under $100K. I really wish I had the option of paying a little extra to get the MR seats(partial leather ones) though.
Although I favor the feel of the Momo on the IX, the steering wheel on the X is a good looking wheel. The buttons are well laid out but could use some contouring over the buttons so you don't have to look down to see what you are touching. I also felt that the buttons were just-a-tad too small. Especially if you have big thumbs. The square-style design of the buttons cause me to use the tips of my thumbs to make sure the button is pressed.
The new color LCD screen is nice and bright. Love all the info screens and the way it displays the fuel & temp.
The stereo system(SSS, None-nav) is one of the features on the car that far exceeded my expectations. Sounds awesome at any volume and has very good bass from the Sub. The 6-disc in-dash changer is definately very convenient. I don't really listen to the AM/FM radio so I won't comment on the sound of it. BUT, the SIRIUS/XM reception sucks so bad. Either that or their sound quality(from a broadcasting pov) has gotten alot worse since I actually paid for it. I always remembered the sound quality as being close to CD quality, but now it sounds more like FM, if not worse. Maybe an antenna issue?
The auxillary jack is also a nice convenience, although I would prefer to have the option of an iPod/iPhone cable.
Bluetooth feature is superb. Haven't gotten around to using the voice commands to call specific people yet, but so far navigating through the menu by talking has been flawless. Pairing, nice and simple. Sound quality on both ends, good.
Back is surprisingly spacious & comfortable.

Drive

Drives like a dream. Handling is what you expect from an Evolution.
Steering response isn't as sharp as my IX, but still 1,000x better than most of the cars out there. Suspension is firm but not bone-jarring. My IX MR's Bilsteins definately felt softer. I'm not going to comment on the grip since I haven't really driven it agressively around turns yet. I live in New Jersey and it has been under 40 degrees almost everyday here since I picked her up.
Transmission is nice & crisp. From what I remember of my IX's 6speed, the gearing feels very similar to it(minus one gear obviously). Occassionally, reverse does get a bit tricky to engage.
Warming up the car takes forever and the aluminum engine cools down super fast.
The car is fast, definately faster than my IX. Top end is really quick.
The engine feels like an all-motor engine. Can't even feel or hear the turbo most of the time.

Fuel Economy

What fuel economy? LoL!
Seriously though, it is probably the biggest gas-guzzler i've ever driven.
Comparing with my '08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, it makes it look like a Prius.
I don't believe the EPA rating that is posted on the window sticker at all. I think it is BS.

Reliability

So far haven't had any problems and I don't expect to have any. My '06 never had an unscheduled service visit. Mitsubishi makes great quality cars and I stand behind them on their quality.

Things I would like to see changed
  1. Louder turn signal. I could hardly hear the signal most of the time, especially if the climate system blower is on.
  2. Express windows on all four. C'mon Mitsubishi, seriously? We are in 2010 and we still don't have this simple feature added yet?
  3. Seperate fog light switch. Wish I had the ability to run fog lights seperately from the sidemarker/headlights.
  4. Static electricity. Holy #@$! I live in Jersey, so we're not allowed to pump our own fuel. But if we did, I'd fear for my life. 95% of the time that I get out of my car and I grab the door to close it, I get tazer'd bro.
  5. 100 more Horsepower.
Anyway, some quick shots ...

*Haven't been able to retouch any of these(notice all the dust spots) on photoshop as I have been without my computer for the last two months(hardware problems). These pictures are straight JPGs from the camera.

A couple more shots in a different thread of some yellow DRLs I installed: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ml#post7892799

Last edited by WWIXMR; Jan 16, 2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

sweet welcome to the x side of things and i agree that the fuel epa est. is BS lol
Old Jan 16, 2010, 03:48 AM

Great review

fuel economy + Evo = one big laugh. Like do you look at the fuel epa when your buying a Hummer or a Ferrari
Old Jan 16, 2010, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

# Louder turn signal. I could hardly hear the signal most of the time, especially if the climate system blower is on.
Awww, I had hoped they had fixed that in the 2010 models
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:08 AM

+1 on 100 more horsepower. Or maybe 200.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

nice review and congrats
Old Jan 16, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imboostinnow
sweet welcome to the x side of things and i agree that the fuel epa est. is BS lol
On the MR the numbers for EPA seem acurate... however I will admit that is with conservative driving

Oh, and thank you for rubbing in the fact that you have a Color display which shows two things at once
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:16 AM
Evolving Member

LOL, i thought i was the only one that had a problem with that dam turn signal!! I remember the first week i had my X. I drive 3 miles before i realized my left turn signal was on all the time. The gauges hide the marker and the audible is super low to hear. Only way i overcame it was to set the steering wheel high, and i lasted 1 day driving like that and i set the steering wheel back to low. Anyone know how to make that blinker noise louder??? My fiance drove my X and complained about the signal sound too.

P.S.: I hate you for having color gauges on the 2010 models... : (
Old Jan 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by poof101
LOL, i thought i was the only one that had a problem with that dam turn signal!! I remember the first week i had my X. I drive 3 miles before i realized my left turn signal was on all the time. The gauges hide the marker and the audible is super low to hear. Only way i overcame it was to set the steering wheel high, and i lasted 1 day driving like that and i set the steering wheel back to low. Anyone know how to make that blinker noise louder??? My fiance drove my X and complained about the signal sound too.

P.S.: I hate you for having color gauges on the 2010 models... : (
I changed the signal noise in the menu. Don't know if '08 can do it, but go into your menu[hold info] and give it a try.

Last edited by WWIXMR; Jan 16, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

thx 4 the review...it is very interesting that you feel that 2010 evos have a nice top end and seem fast. 2008 stock tunes were so bad that most found the car lacking in overall power delivery. I've been happy to keep mine mechanically stock after some manipulation of the 1 and 0's in ROM.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mike100
thx 4 the review...it is very interesting that you feel that 2010 evos have a nice top end and seem fast. 2008 stock tunes were so bad that most found the car lacking in overall power delivery.
I don't have experience with other Evos, but even tuned, top end on these cars is not great, as would be expected from a 2.0 liter. Even if you have it tuned to the same hp as something like a Z06 or GT-R, it is going to get killed at about 90 - 100 mph and up. Seeing how fast a car like the Mercedes CL65AMG gets you from 80 to 150 mph really highlights the one area were cars like the X get slaughtered. I rarely need that kind of hgh speed acceleraton, so it doesn't matter to me, but I can see why some people would not consider the X for that reason. Likewise, the Evo owner probably doesn't want a Mercedes CL because of what it can't do around the turns.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome review, you summarized basically all of my sentiments about the car. Congratulations on your new purchase, you are going to absolutely love the car (as it sounds like you already do!).
The static electricity thing was funny and interesting, I haven't noticed that at all. Do you have different floor mats in your car?
As for 100 extra horsepower.. Exhaust (it can be quiet), tune, upper intercooler pipe. Viola!
Old Jan 16, 2010, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by johntesi
Awesome review, you summarized basically all of my sentiments about the car. Congratulations on your new purchase, you are going to absolutely love the car (as it sounds like you already do!).
The static electricity thing was funny and interesting, I haven't noticed that at all. Do you have different floor mats in your car?
As for 100 extra horsepower.. Exhaust (it can be quiet), tune, upper intercooler pipe. Viola!
Haha, thanks. I have the stock mats. It's weird but it happens all the time. Just last night after I wrote this I went for a drive. When I got out of the car, I slowly touched grabbed the door to close it and zZAAPP! Not only did I hear and feel it but I also saw a freakin' spark. Wtf?
Isn't anyone else experiencing this?

BTW, here is a picture of me from when I was a little boy.

Old Jan 16, 2010, 12:39 PM

95% of the time that I get out of my car and I grab the door to close it, I get tazer'd bro.
That's so true, I get that a lot haha

Quick Reply: 1k miles later. My '10 GSR review...