Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My Journey from a WRX to an Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a guy that baught a new STi and he didnt get a chance to drive the X. Now he wishes he would of driven it before, he regrets not getting the Evo. He says that the handling is much better on the Evo over the STi. I know that it is a pain to work on them from the guys that own them have told me. Maybe one day I will see for myself, till then I will stick to the Evo, Im on my second one and am looking for another one.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by monkey_187
I am noticing that a lot of the Subaru guys are changing their vehicles to Evo's. I have never driven a Subaru but I know I wouldnt own one. Friends that I know say they have problems with simple **** on the car. After all even Ken Block doesnt want to drive a Subaru anymore.
None of my Subaru's ever gave me a problem. Most reliable cars I've ever stepped foot in. The tranny's tend to be the only issues and only when abused. Motors when taken care of are bulletproof. If Subaru made anything appealing, I would have no issue driving that right now. I'm very happy with my EVO though.

Last edited by EEVOH; Feb 21, 2010 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Alright,

So as promised a nice write-up for my latest installs...

I've had a nice slew of things sitting around waiting for my tune in two weeks at CBRD so I decided to put my UR Resonated Test-Pipe and AEM Intake on this past Saturday along with the above engine dressings...

Install was pretty straight forward on both of them, EXCEPT THE TP TOOK ME OVER 2 HOURS!

Why? because of the two bolts connecting my stock cat to my perrin catback, they'd already rusted to the point where it was over an hour per bolt...

Soaked them in PB and waited for a while and it really didn't help,

Slow moving, but at least they were moving untiiiillll the passenger side bolt stripped (it almost looks like a circular screw head now) luckily I had enough threads showing to get at it with a saw and just cut the bloody thing off...

I did notice that the gasket between the two pipes had disintegrated, which means I'll be taking off the pipe soon once I get a new gasket...

I flashed a stage 2 AEM map on my AP that will keep me satisfied till CBRD takes care of it all...

When I go there I'll be adding a Grimmspeed 3-Port as well...

I'm still running rich, wideband showed me at 9.9 at one point... Though I guess the ECU is still learning....

Exhaust sounds good, not too loud but definitely more noticeable than just the catback...

Haven't had any issues with the smell going cat-less, and I've stopped at a few lights since then...

I've got a little more drone on the highway but nothing unbearable, especially with music on...

Honestly I find the gear cable rattling more obnoxious than the exhaust...

Here's a vid I threw together,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VGYAqo79OA

Also in the plans are a set of KW v3s that Chad is getting rid of, I didn't plan on coilovers this soon but it's a deal that's too good to pass up...

Expect a review of those in the near future as well...

Cheers,

~Mike
Old Apr 2, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Made a little trip today,

Will post up pics/vids and some impressions of Chad and the boys in a bit
Old Apr 3, 2010, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hey guys,

(Same post as my dyno thread) Just got back from CBRD yesterday for a tune...

First of all I would like to say thanks to Chad and Mark, shops like there's are few and far-between...

Walking in to the door and having Chad take you on a tour of their immaculate show-room with customer/shop cars, trophy/game-room, lounge (with ungodly amounts of pizza and soda haha), and finally around the shop itself is a great experience the you feel right at home...

This was my 2nd trip there and I've been talking over some plans with Chad for some time now, so I wouldn't expect anything less from them...

Now to the good stuff,

2008 Evo X tuned with a Cobb AP on 93 Octane-

UR Test-Pipe
Perrin Cat-Back
AEM Intake
GrimmSpeed 3-port

Stock X runs 230HP/240TQ stock on their dyno,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiORd6Zrt0

Made like 7-8 pulls and wound up here,

Wound up with 302HP 305TQ and I'm very happy with the results, not a bad gain over stock eh?

I'll be keeping this setup for a bit as I get ready for my BB-X build,

Cheers,

~Mike
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
[QUOTE=MicMcKee;7894322ecaro's are fantastic, only complaints would be from friends that sit in them and get their cheeks spread by the sides when they slip in. [/QUOTE]

LOL you got some fat friends
Old May 10, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Kind of a half-update,

Got a Works SS I'm going to put in, I got it used so I'll have to track down some of those weird lock washers before I do...

Also have the shifter bushings (engine bay ones), so expect a review for that as well...

In a completely unrelated note,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCJMPsANsMA