Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My Journey from a WRX to an Evo X

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Journey from a WRX to an Evo X

Hey guys,

Figured I'd start posting this here because I've been updating it elsewhere and forgot to get it started here...

Long story short I came from this,

And turned it into this,

Power-

Cobb AccessPort
VF52 Turbo
Tial 38mm EWG + IAG Uppipe
SPT Exhaust
Cobb DP
UR Intake
Perrin TMIC
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
One Step Colder - Spark Plugs
Grimmspeed 3 Port BCS

Suspension/Handling-

Racecomp Engineering Tarmac 2 Coilovers
Whiteline 22mm Front 20mm Rear Sways
Gunmetal Tarmac 2 Rotas wrapped in Potenza RE-01 Rs
Black STI Brembos
SS Brake Lines
STI Master Brake Cylinder

Shifter/Feel-

Cobb SS
Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings
KillerB Black Shift Knob

Visual and ICE Mods-

Pioneer AVIC-F90BT Nav Unit
40% tint
RA Guards
Hella Supertones
Perrin Stubby Antenna
Prosport Premium Boost Gauge
JDM AV Trim
YourLEDShop bulb kit
Debadged except WRX
Sport Grille with 'i' badge
LED Interior and License Plate lights
Seibon CWII CF Hood

Made about 300atw both TQ and HP, basically I had it modded to the point of having an STI short of the transmission...

Decided I wanted to go a different route and play with something a little more suited for racing out of the box without much modding, which is why I went with the X...

Which is where we stand now,

Sooo it's not perfect out of the box, but it's pretty close so let's go down the line...

Handling-

WRX- Tarmac 2's, Stickier tires, sways, STI brembos

vs

Evo X- Brembos, nice sways/shocks out of the factory, and of course the insane transmission

Solution/Verdict - I am honestly more secure in the X right now due to the stability controls. My WRX was more planted on the ground and harder to break traction, though once that comes into play the X takes over in spades. With some better tires I think it will be a bit more even.

Styling -

WRX - CF Hood, dark grey, gunmetal wheels, tint, RA guards, does not have the looks of the X

vs

Evo X - RR is growing on me, no tint, stock wheels, it's an X sex on wheels...

Solution/Verdict - All can be changed, still not sure where I want to go wheel wise... But for the most part some tint, new wheels, some flaps, and it will be golden... Also I love the look of CF on the red. (Did take off the dealer decal this weekend which made me very happy)

Power -

WRX - TMIC quick spool, very streetable fun power, subie flat-4 2.5 liter, much more HP and TQ than a stock X or STI, screamed like a banshee

vs

Evo X - FMIC, greater potential, high-revving engine 2.0 liter MIVEC, lot of potential in the 4B11T. Much too quite for my liking.

Solution/Verdict - Starting off I was quite sad when I punched the gas when compared to my WRX, but what can you expect I spent tons on that thing to get it where I wanted it. BUT very low red-line was not missed what-so-ever. With the addition of a Cobb Stage 1 flash, I can honestly say I no longer miss the power of my WRX. The 2.5 liter was nice, but once you get going the RPM range and usable power of the X is in a different league. I also added a K&N UICP which helped with the high-end a bit as well. Going to get a cat-back and a speed-circuit test-pipe and that will help get some of the pleasure back in revving the thing.

The Feel/Comfort -

WRX - Nice bolstered seats, stiff ride from the coil-overs, SS with bushings for some nice crisp shifts. Nice sound proofing, aftermarket GPS/DVD player (man I was sad that I sold the stock unit so I couldn't bring it to my X) Folding back seats made it really easy to carry stuff around.

vs

Evo X - Recaro's are fantastic, only complaints would be from friends that sit in them and get their cheeks spread by the sides when they slip in. Softer ride when compared to the Tarmacs, but not in a bad way. Shifter is way too high and needs some new bushings. Stock CD changer and factory sub is good buuuuut it's no F90BT. Sounds better though. Trunk the size of a small child is nooooo good. Need a roof rack for my surfboard

Solutions/Verdict - Right now the WRX wins except for the seats, but it's all in the plans to change. Road noise is something that I'll get used to again, but hey I bought an X not a BMW. A SS and some bushings along with a new head-unit and I'll be in heaven.

I'll keep posting up as I add to it and get more pics, but I kept something like this with my WRX and plan on keeping it around for my journey with the X

Cheers,

~Mike
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

My first real project with the Evo...

Got the Perrin on and working,

Some things to note, you have to break the welds on the nuts that are connected to the stock cat...

Which is easier said than done... My recommendations, GET A TORCH!...

Haha I heated the crap out of those suckers to get them off...

Aside from that have some PB-Blast and lubricant and you'll be fine...

Like the tone, but I do think I will be happier with either a TP or HF-Cat...

Still a little tame for me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9E6YGQvzx0

Cheers,

~Mike
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

I've been taking my time and figuring out what I want to do with me X...

As I've stated my primary purpose for going to the X is to keep as much stock as possible so I can keep my warranty...

BUT I would be lying if I were to tell you I'm not planning on something extensive down the road...

I've been amassing items (AEM intake, test-pipe, walbro pump, Perrin Inlet, etc) and am going to have a talk with CBRD about some future plans and what I sort of tuning I can do in the meantime...

Right now I'd like to take the time to give a quick review on Hawks' HPS pads...

Many of you read my frustration with the Mitsubishi Lock-Nuts, so the install was left for another week...

Mitsubishi quoted me over 1200 dollars to change my pads (fat chance), I got these for around 200...

I wanted to get their ceramic ones (step up, but not quite track pads) but couldn't get them in the time frame that I needed them...

Install was a breeze, with my brother on the bleeder valves (Some clear tubing and a coke bottle makes a great catch system for the fluid I'll have to post a pic) and me on the rest it took all of 30 minutes to get it all done...

Any of you with the stock brakes know they aren't bad, they're Brembos of course they are going to be good....

But I wouldn't say great, the Hawks have substantially more bite to them and it was noticed right off the bat...

I don't have hard numbers (it's hard to try and get measuring tape out on rural roads), but I can say that tree to tree they consistently stopped shorter than the stockers and the response is a lot crisper...

I managed to leave my brake cleaner at home (I install at my parent's garage) so I've had to deal with some squeaking, but hey it's an Evo we're all used to that right?

Cleaning everything off will take care of that...

On the table for the near future, got some Blizzaks to put on and TheSin has inspired me to do some tinting (side markers and 3rd brake light) and probably go get the windows tinted while I'm at it...
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad you made the change, if u put the same amount into your x that u put into that wrx, you'll be amazed at what a beast you've built.
Ps
The wrx was cool but your in a much better league now.
Old Jan 16, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, now I've had the X for a couple months and the only thing I miss is the trunk haha...
Old Jan 21, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

long *** post but congrats on the x
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:58 AM
Account Disabled

im glade you did the change the x will make more power
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice writeup. You said the letter "X" in ur vid instead of "10"
Old Jan 22, 2010, 11:01 PM

that WRX is a looker, and the evo is also quite a marvel. Nice buy.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

That X is looking extremely good. I'm stuck between getting a 9 or a 10.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 03:44 PM

welcome aboard..

not to be picky (i'm slightly OCD anyway), but you blocked the license in the rear shot, then left it exposed in the last one.

i'm all about privacy and i do the same.. but from one pic to the next, it stuck out like a sore thumb.

just an observation.. love the ride
Old Jan 23, 2010, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Haha yeah, I started doing it and then realized it was a temp tag and didn't matter anymore so I stopped...

On another note,

Got a new toy today...

(Zeitronix for those wondering) Still need to get the EGT and A/F bungs installed, but everything is routed where it needs to be...

Found out that I am over-boosting on the way home yipee!

24 is target boost, I think it was 27.X that I hit...

Pretty sure Cobb has a map for people that are over-boosting, I'll be looking into that now
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:05 AM

hehe, grats on the new reads. i like the digi readouts so much more than getting custom pillar/gauges.

did you install and setup yourself? if so, how easy/difficult was it?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolving Member

Install was very easy, did it with my brother in about an hour...

And that included all the prep/making everything pretty time...

Two wires to power it in the cabin, then 4 wires/cables ran from the cabin into the engine bay, and extra tubing and a T splitter for the boost sensor...

Not bad at all...

Cheers,

~Mike
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looking good. But why all subie guys loves to do " journey" thing.

Quick Reply: My Journey from a WRX to an Evo X